June Apples

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I never heard of them before today.
I was at my cousins house, delivering some fishpond fertilizer, and noticed the yard full of small apples. I said, "What kind of apples are harvested in June??" He said someone called them May apples and the trees have been there a very long time.

So I google and came across this:
https://blindpigandtheacorn.com/june-apples/
June 22 2019
I just fried a batch of June apples and took them to our sales room for people to try. Only one person had any idea as to what they were. But if I had more trees this year I could have started passing out samples earlier, because I first cooked them on the 25th of May this year
65 years ago we had over 2000 Trees of “June apples”, Transparent, Early Harvest, Lodi and Henry Clay. Now we have 2 trees for us to eat on. From the 5th of June, depending on the year I would spend the rest of the month either picking, packing or hauling these apples. Wholesalers would buy 250 Bushels at a time and people would be waiting in line to purchase them. They would buy them by the bushel to make apple sauce and to freeze so they could fry them at a later date. We operated around 300 acres at that time and we still froze them to fry during the winter. This apple needs no spices or flavors. It only requires some salt and lots of sugar to give you that sweet tart flavor that can only be found in June fried apples.
I have gotten lazy in my old age so here is what I do.
Note once this apple is ripe (Yellow) it makes a wonderful mild apple sauce.
I start with a gallon of Green June apples
Don’ you dare peel them!
I make 4 cuts around the core cutting the sides off.
I then chow them or slice them up (sometimes I slice the sides with a food processor)
I now use a non-stick pan sprayed and add 2 table spoons of olive oil unless I have bacon or ham grease.
I had a small amount of water 1/4 cup and put the stove on high. (Remember the wood stoves did not have dials on them) and I cover the pan.
Cook stirring every few minutes to keep from burning.
When some apples start to mush, I remove the lid.
Add 1 1/2 tsp of salt and a cup to 1 1/2 cups of sugar (according to taste and how green the apples were.
Stir in and continue to cook and stir until a golden brown.
Remove from burner and stir until danger of burning is over.
Enjoy with a hot biscuit.
Enjoy on a sandwich cold. Or eat as a side dish hot or cold.
It is a treat that you cannot beat from old man Danny!

Is there any way to propagate from those old trees?

I never heard of them before today.
I was at my cousins house, delivering some fishpond fertilizer, and noticed the yard full of small apples. I said, "What kind of apples are harvested in June??" He said someone called them May apples and the trees have been there a very long time.

So I google and came across this:
https://blindpigandtheacorn.com/june-apples/
June 22 2019
I just fried a batch of June apples and took them to our sales room for people to try. Only one person had any idea as to what they were. But if I had more trees this year I could have started passing out samples earlier, because I first cooked them on the 25th of May this year
65 years ago we had over 2000 Trees of “June apples”, Transparent, Early Harvest, Lodi and Henry Clay. Now we have 2 trees for us to eat on. From the 5th of June, depending on the year I would spend the rest of the month either picking, packing or hauling these apples. Wholesalers would buy 250 Bushels at a time and people would be waiting in line to purchase them. They would buy them by the bushel to make apple sauce and to freeze so they could fry them at a later date. We operated around 300 acres at that time and we still froze them to fry during the winter. This apple needs no spices or flavors. It only requires some salt and lots of sugar to give you that sweet tart flavor that can only be found in June fried apples.
I have gotten lazy in my old age so here is what I do.
Note once this apple is ripe (Yellow) it makes a wonderful mild apple sauce.
I start with a gallon of Green June apples
Don’ you dare peel them!
I make 4 cuts around the core cutting the sides off.
I then chow them or slice them up (sometimes I slice the sides with a food processor)
I now use a non-stick pan sprayed and add 2 table spoons of olive oil unless I have bacon or ham grease.
I had a small amount of water 1/4 cup and put the stove on high. (Remember the wood stoves did not have dials on them) and I cover the pan.
Cook stirring every few minutes to keep from burning.
When some apples start to mush, I remove the lid.
Add 1 1/2 tsp of salt and a cup to 1 1/2 cups of sugar (according to taste and how green the apples were.
Stir in and continue to cook and stir until a golden brown.
Remove from burner and stir until danger of burning is over.
Enjoy with a hot biscuit.
Enjoy on a sandwich cold. Or eat as a side dish hot or cold.
It is a treat that you cannot beat from old man Danny!

Is there any way to propagate from those old trees?
I stihl see lodi and transparent apples at the produce auction. Most people here use them for applesauce. Not sure if trees are stihl available. I'll see my orchard guy tomorrow and ask.

I stihl see lodi and transparent apples at the produce auction. Most people here use them for applesauce. Not sure if trees are stihl available. I'll see my orchard guy tomorrow and ask.
That would be great, TY!
Ask him if there's a simple way to propagate one from the old tree, maybe a sucker, or a cutting?

That would be great, TY!
Ask him if there's a simple way to propagate one from the old tree, maybe a sucker, or a cutting?
He wasn't sure on propagation. He said usually they are propagated on special rootstock. Lodi being the better one. I'm sure there is some youtube videos on how to propagate them.

My uncle had a very simple way of propagating june apple trees. Every june apple I have ever seen always has little sprigs shooting off the main trunk of the tree. What he did was take a sandwich bag and poke a hole in the bottom and slip it over the little shoots. He then filled the bag with soil and added water. He would tape the top and bottom of the bag around the shoot so the water and dirt wouldnt run out of the bag. Then he just waited. It took a few months but the little shoot would put out roots in the bag at which point he just cut the shoot off at its base and placed it a planter pot. I am going to just guess or assume that you can do the same thing with new growth at the ends of limbs if your tree trunk doesnt have young shoots coming off the main trunk. I am not sure if my uncle used some sort of root hormone like Root Grow or Honey when doing this, but he had a almost 100% success rate.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/tgen/planting-a-tree-shoot.htm

My uncle had a very simple way of propagating june apple trees. Every june apple I have ever seen always has little sprigs shooting off the main trunk of the tree. What he did was take a sandwich bag and poke a hole in the bottom and slip it over the little shoots. He then filled the bag with soil and added water. He would tape the top and bottom of the bag around the shoot so the water and dirt wouldnt run out of the bag. Then he just waited. It took a few months but the little shoot would put out roots in the bag at which point he just cut the shoot off at its base and placed it a planter pot. I am going to just guess or assume that you can do the same thing with new growth at the ends of limbs if your tree trunk doesnt have young shoots coming off the main trunk. I am not sure if my uncle used some sort of root hormone like Root Grow or Honey when doing this, but he had a almost 100% success rate.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/tgen/planting-a-tree-shoot.htm
Thanks! Going to try that!

Latest posts

Back