Just got a load 'o Macs--anyone know about these?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in MA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The local dump provided very well today. FIVE McCulloch chainsaws in various states of operation. I have the info off Mike's site, but I'm wondering if anyone can provide opinions on quality, common problems, things to watch out for, etc. Starting from the bottom:

Big 'ol Mac 250. You can't tell from the photo, but it's like new under the dirt. Even got the owner's manual! Yes, that's an open pipe.

Pro Mac 510. '80s hardware that led to McCulloch's downfall. Looks like it should run, so probably fine a homeowner to give it to. Interesting that it's running 1/4" chain.

Mac Eager Beaver. Missing the pull cord but in good shape.

McCulloch 110. Looks good except for a missing chainbrake and recoil.

Mini Mac 25. This is the smallest, lightest chainsaw I've ever used. Even has a chainbrake and starts on the first pull. Any chance this is any better quality than my Craftsman/Poulan 25? I'd love to have a reason to keep it. Only need one limbing saw...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
thats what im thinking also.
they dont let folks here do that. if they did ,i doubt id find saw all over the place .
these must be coming from some shop thats cleaning out. any case have fun brother.

I'm jealous.

I live about 15 minutes from a landfill, one that has been operated for a long time. When I was younger, some of us used to sneak in and look for goodies, which was against the law, of course. It was kind of exciting sneaking in and out just ahead of the sherriff's dept.

Then another local dumpster diver got caught for the third time in a few weeks there, was prosecuted for theft, and served time in the county jail. For stealing garbage!

Boy, you guys have it rough. The town lets us in here--saves on scrap metal collection fees.

These weren't from a shop. The 250 and 25 were from a fellow who bought them new but didn't use them much. The other three were dropped off by a couple guys who I think did tree work. Nothing really wrong with the saws.

I have a 250 that appears to be the same as yours. It's loud as hell! It doesn't have a very good muffler, but it's pretty loud. What?! But it cuts well, not fast. It will hang in there with a 24" bar and lug really well.
Scott

Since McCulloch is owned by Jenn-Feng of I reckon Taiwan you could start the very FIRST Mc Museum. Hey, good for a write off anyway. Mc:D

Based on personal experience I would say that the chance that your MiniMac25 is superior to your Poulan 25 is statistically near 0. If the Poulan won't run at all and the MiniMac runs then they would be fairly close in value to me.;)

john, just exactly where is this dump, anyways? just give me a hint, and i'll take it from there! i have several 250's, one a super 250 made in canada, another ebay find, it's in like new condition. supposedly was found in the attic of an abandoned homestead in the canadian wilderness. also have a 1-41, and a 1-51, which are almost identical saws. same displacement. all of these are strong runners. they don't turn the rpm's like a modern saw, due to the longer stroke, but they make gobs of torque. i run a 32'' gb bar with oregon round chisel on my super 250, and it will pull it through a 24'' ash log easily. the 1-41, for some reason, is a screamer. it runs like it's on nitro. i've looked it over hard, trying to figure out why it run's so strong. i've long argued the power of these old macs. i know higher chain speed will generally cut faster, i also think a higher torque saw, once you get on to it, can cut almost as fast. a friend i mill with recently got a used 088 in good condition. we ran it side by side with my sp125 in a 28'' hard maple and the mac outcut it 6 for 6 cuts. the 088 can be stalled quite easily in big wood. not so easily for the sp125. anyonewho thinks i'm full of it, talk to mike acres. he will tell you the difference between a piston port engine, as opposed to a reed valve engine. i also have a couple early '70s mini mac 30's. these are strong little saws, but are prone to vapor lock in hot weather, as are alot of small macs, for some reason. nice find.

Man your lucky. No dumps that I know of like that left around here. Years ago there used to be a town dump that you just took your trash to. But now it gets picked up at the curb and crushed in the garbage truck. Old saws are very hard to find.

So what are you gonna do with them all? You could fix the ones you dont want and make a nice profit on ebay. I imagine you'll keep the 250 that looks like a nice saw. It seems the worst enemy of a mac is air leaks they must not seal up very well. So if they start running bad that will most likely be the problem.

Thanks for the info, guys. It's not a dump exactly, in the landfill/bulldozers/seagulls sense. Trash goes into a compactor, scrap metal, cardboard, and bottles have their own bins. Anyway, it's an undisclosed location for now. :) Maybe I'll organize a hunting party when I get the time.

All the little Mini Macs are more or less running right now. Probably will require carb kits and maybe seals. I need to get those plus the 510 and 610 fixed up and eBay'd. The 250'll probably stay with me. It would be hard to find a nicer one outside of the original crate. Need a McCulloch in the collection anyway...

Does anybody know of an online Mac parts supplier? Just need filters and things like that for the Mini Macs, nothing too exotic. All the local sources seem to have dried up around 1985.

Too many. My goal in life is to have three saws for using (small, large, and way too big), and maybe a couple collectibles. I figure I must be at about 15 now. Running out of saw space!

Ah yes that's kinda my goal as well but too have all big and all way too big saw's,but 15 man I don't know what I'd do with them all:D

Later Rob...

You should see the photos of some member's shops (and roofs). A few guys have hundreds of saws.

Thanks for the link.

I'll have to get the thing cleaned up and running before I think of a price, but it hasn't been used much. Did you say camp saw? This thing is on the big and heavy side for that.

Only 15. What kind of a collection is that!;) I've got 9 and use 6 of 'em regularly. I think I need 3 more working saws. (Saws for work as opposed to merely saws that run). Seems silly for a 1 man operation but they all have there niche.

Originally posted by John in MA
Thanks for the link.

I'll have to get the thing cleaned up and running before I think of a price, but it hasn't been used much. Did you say camp saw? This thing is on the big and heavy side for that.

Yep I tried to sell him a nice XL2 but nope not big enough:rolleyes: Let me know and I'll see if he would like it.

Latest posts

Back