Lil red barn ebay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assembled in America using foreign materials I have seems stamped on many things. Or made in America but they make one piece in the us. Most basic thing like hardware and circuit boards ectra are made in china. Detroit is a ghost town for a reason
Pro chainsaws only have a few parts if any made in China.
You do what you can.
Also realise that a reshoring is ongoing post covid.
Regardless I am not going to run some piece of crap from the 60's where it is an adventure to keep it running and the performance is trash. My time is very valuable and I have alot better things to do than fart around with old junk made a decade or more before I was born.
With that said I would have no problem running a saw long term. I had a MS260 for 20 years. Only got rid of it when I upgraded to a 400C. But a ms260 is still in production and while a typical turd Stihl of that design era, it isn't a relic from the 60's.

Some guys get a saw fetish that lasts a while. Make a zillion posts on a forum and disappear.
Some guys use the saw as a tool to do a job.
So, do you want to cut cookies ?

The 036 and all of it's variants are very reliable. And, the bottle neck is never how fast a saw cuts.

Unless you are a cookie cutter of course.
When you have the choice between one saw that cuts better, vibrates less, filters better and cost less with the same or better quality which way you going to go? Pretty simple when your not brand loyal.
I actually run a saw sparingly anymore, but my approach is the same as when I used a saw daily.

Well maybe. But, who are you going to fix the dumb thing, Lowes ? Home Depot ?

It is very unlikely that you will bring any Stihl made in the last forty years that I cannot have back running by lunch time with parts in inventory. Several of them even if the top end in toast.

There is a reason why Stihl captured the U.S. market.
These guys who make a living want the things to run, not cut cookies on a forum.

Well maybe. But, who are you going to fix the dumb thing, Lowes ? Home Depot ?

It is very unlikely that you will bring any Stihl made in the last forty years that I cannot have back running by lunch time with parts in inventory. Several of them even if the top end in toast.

There is a reason why Stihl captured the U.S. market.
These guys who make a living want the things to run, not cut cookies on a forum.
I ran a Husky and Stihl daily when I logged. I ve never took a saw to a dealer either.
Have you ran both daily or are you just speculating?

I ran a Husky and Stihl daily when I logged. I ve never took a saw to a dealer either.
Have you ran both daily or are you just speculating?
I haven't ran anything daily in 50 years. But, when I had made enough money I work on them about every day for boredom. Average maybe 20 a week with some affliction. Nothing you are going to tell me about any of them.

They are actually not related at all... you don't counter tge Chinese by not buying anything new. You just don't buy new Chinese junk.
Running old crap just isn't tenable from a parts standpoint alone. Not to mention the performance of that old stuff sucks.
many of those old Stihls were used to harvest timber in Oregon where I grew up in the 60's and 70's and much later. but their performance isn't good enough?

Assembled in America using foreign materials I have seems stamped on many things. Or made in America but they make one piece in the us. Most basic thing like hardware and circuit boards ectra are made in china. Detroit is a ghost town for a reason
Detroit is a 'ghost town for reasons not related directly to the current automotive morass. Has more to do with antiquated and inefficient assembly plants as well as the unions that control what transpires there.

FYI, Stellantis is laying off over 2500 autoworkers at their Warren Assembly plant, indefinitely. When you price your products beyond the reach of the people that buy them, bad things happen and that is exactly what Stellantis has done. Of course the owners of Stellantis aren't citizens of the United States either.

Before I retired, I delivered countless loads of flat rolled steel to Warren Assembly and I'm here to tell everyone that for the most part, the autoworkers there had to be the laziest, most non productive workers I ever laid eyes on. Was so bad that you had to buy stale doughnut's from the crane operator or they let you sit and rot all day even though they only received by appointment only and you'd better be there on time too.

I hated going there, hated going to Trenton Engine as well Same scenario, same lazy employees.

Always amazed me how anything was ever done as the majority of the unionized employees were lazy, shiftless dolts that did nothing and were paid well for it (under union contract, of course). I'm very much anti-union just from those experiences. Least I got paid hourly working for a private carrier that owned the transportation company that also processed the steel as well. My 'meter' was always running no matter how long it took to get offloaded.

Always felt bad for the 'independents' that were paid by the load and got screwed regularly. I could sit all day and wait for the shiftless employees to off load me. However, the independent owner operators got hosed with no recourse.

Candidly, I have nothing against Oriental chain saws or any power equipment in general other than I won't purchase them and if anyone wants to, I don't hold that against them at all except that if you do, don't whine about them because they are substandard. You wanted a cheap saw, live with it and quit whining.

Like a buddy of mine that bought an EGO zero turn battery operated lawnmower. Totally made in China with Li-Ion batteries where the raw materials were mined with Chinese slave labor. Not in my wheelhouse ever.

One, I don't like battery powered equipment other than battery powered hand tools (for the convenience) and two, I don't care for products that were produced with indentured labor either.

Has to be an extreme profit margin associated with them, simply because the cost to produce them versus the actual retail price has to be extreme.

Detroit is a 'ghost town for reasons not related directly to the current automotive morass. Has more to do with antiquated and inefficient assembly plants as well as the unions that control what transpires there.

FYI, Stellantis is laying off over 2500 autoworkers at their Warren Assembly plant, indefinitely. When you price your products beyond the reach of the people that buy them, bad things happen and that is exactly what Stellantis has done. Of course the owners of Stellantis aren't citizens of the United States either.

Before I retired, I delivered countless loads of flat rolled steel to Warren Assembly and I'm here to tell everyone that for the most part, the autoworkers there had to be the laziest, most non productive workers I ever laid eyes on. Was so bad that you had to buy stale doughnut's from the crane operator or they let you sit and rot all day even though they only received by appointment only and you'd better be there on time too.

I hated going there, hated going to Trenton Engine as well Same scenario, same lazy employees.

Always amazed me how anything was ever done as the majority of the unionized employees were lazy, shiftless dolts that did nothing and were paid well for it (under union contract, of course). I'm very much anti-union just from those experiences. Least I got paid hourly working for a private carrier that owned the transportation company that also processed the steel as well. My 'meter' was always running no matter how long it took to get offloaded.

Always felt bad for the 'independents' that were paid by the load and got screwed regularly. I could sit all day and wait for the shiftless employees to off load me. However, the independent owner operators got hosed with no recourse.

I used to hunt with the CFO of VF Corporation. They shut down a bout 30 plants and moved to Costa Rico . He said on any given Monday morning 40% of the work force would not show up. So, not sure it is all a union thing.

So, if you can't be fired. Or, somebody working in an apparel factory that can be paid as much by the government not to work. Then what do you get ?

I own both. Just not a brand loyal tard.

You posts betray that statement. Flip flop, flip flop,..........

"But a ms260 is still in production and while a typical turd Stihl of that design era, it isn't a relic from the 60's."

If we took a poll here, how many would label the 026/260 , "a turd". You did.

They are actually not related at all... you don't counter tge Chinese by not buying anything new. You just don't buy new Chinese junk.
Running old crap just isn't tenable from a parts standpoint alone. Not to mention the performance of that old stuff sucks.

I'm running 30 year+ old saws, that are all OEM, many run like new, and have no Chinese parts.

I got off the newer saws bandwagon when the EPA got involved and required limiter cap/non-adjustable carbs and choked down/catalytic exhausts. 1990s

When NOS parts were available cheap years ago, I saw the writing on the wall, where saws were going as well as their production. I have NOS parts in my shop and numerous parts saws I got for, free.

Again performance differences are mostly just weight and AV; I don't mind keeping my air filters clean

The newer saws, even the "pro" versions, are not built as well/to last as long, nor be user friendly to work on.

I feel the same way about autos/trucks/tractors.........

Latest posts

Back