Lil red barn ebay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've owned several 360/036. Even back in the day they where turds. If you had a Husky 357xp or a 359 you might have something to brag about.
Please don't let my pair of 036's know they're turds. They've always done all I ask from them.

It appears you're vastly more knowledgeable and experienced than me, so I'll just happily continue to run my 25 year old junk. IF they finally fail to meet my needs I'll make sure to check in with you to find out what you deem to be on the list of acceptable saws.

Please don't let my pair of 036's know they're turds. They've always done all I ask from them.

It appears you're vastly more knowledgeable and experienced than me, so I'll just happily continue to run my 25 year old junk. IF they finally fail to meet my needs I'll make sure to check in with you to find out what you deem to be on the list of acceptable saws.
A 25 year old saw is a far cry from a relic from the 60's. Although you chose poorly when you bought a 036. There were better models available at that time.

I have supervised them for close to 20 years. Including USW, IBEW, and Operating Engineers.
What's your expiereance?
I've never been in a supervisory role with craft. Had the unfortunate experience of working several nuke plants where we were forced to utilize craft labor as support (IBEW and boilermakers mostly, Operating Engineers for equipment moves). IBEW was the best to work with in my experience, boilermakers the worst.
Rarely a pleasant experience. Never saw a supervisor who was able to actually get them to work consistently. Positions were routinely overstaffed running up costs which the ratepayers ultimately ate.

Perhaps it's a different world where you are. Or, perhaps you make it a different world.

I've never been in a supervisory role with craft. Had the unfortunate experience of working several nuke plants where we were forced to utilize craft labor as support (IBEW and boilermakers mostly, Operating Engineers for equipment moves). IBEW was the best to work with in my experience, boilermakers the worst.
Rarely a pleasant experience. Never saw a supervisor who was able to actually get them to work consistently. Positions were routinely overstaffed running up costs which the ratepayers ultimately ate.

Perhaps it's a different world where you are. Or, perhaps you make it a different world.
IBEW is one of the better unions. No doubt. Often if a guy needed to be jacked up the union president did it for you. Just had to get him involved.
Like anything else most supervisors aren't worth a damn and are in fact lazy. I can assure you that if you apply yourself and put forth the effort union labor works just like anyone else and sometimes better when it comes to craft unions as they often have better training than the private sector.

And, what pray tell were those better models in 1999?
I believe the 357xp and 359 were introduced around that time. But if not a 262, or even a 257.
Lets not forget that Stihl came out with the 361 to replace the 036/360. It had a Husky style four transfer port cylinder. Sadly Stihl saddled it with the most choked up muffler ever seen to that point. They ran like dog **** until muffler modded.

IBEW is one of the better unions. No doubt. Often if a guy needed to be jacked up the union president did it for you. Just had to get him involved.
Like anything else most supervisors aren't worth a damn and are in fact lazy. I can assure you that if you apply yourself and put forth the effort union labor works just like anyone else and sometimes better when it comes to craft unions as they often have better training than the private sector.
The majority of what we had to use craft for (at the union sites, not all are) was moving equipment. Not a lot of training or talent needed.
My least favorite site was strongly union. I can recall a couple exchanges with the business agent on a job:
1. He asked how many more people I would need on my crew if they weren't "supporting" us. Honest answer? Zero, we moved our own equipment most places with the same crew.
2. Elevator (not real common in a nuke plant) broke down on pack out day. Same business agent asked what I would do. I said "Get your people the F*** out of the way and we'll carry it out up the stairs" . They wouldn't consider that so we spent the day staring at our navels. Cost the utility an extra day charge,

I believe the 357xp and 359 were introduced around that time. But if not a 262, or even a 257.
Lets not forget that Stihl came out with the 361 to replace the 036/360. It had a Husky style four transfer port cylinder. Sadly Stihl saddled it with the most choked up muffler ever seen to that point. They ran like dog **** until muffler modded.
Been no real Husky dealers in my area in the 43 years I've lived here. If I'm going to spend new saw money I at least want to be able to see the product.

The majority of what we had to use craft for (at the union sites, not all are) was moving equipment. Not a lot of training or talent needed.
My least favorite site was strongly union. I can recall a couple exchanges with the business agent on a job:
1. He asked how many more people I would need on my crew if they weren't "supporting" us. Honest answer? Zero, we moved our own equipment most places with the same crew.
2. Elevator (not real common in a nuke plant) broke down on pack out day. Same business agent asked what I would do. I said "Get your people the F*** out of the way and we'll carry it out up the stairs" . They wouldn't consider that so we spent the day staring at our navels. Cost the utility an extra day charge,
I worked for a utility and honestly never experienced that sort of crap. We were strictly union with most all of the contractors union as well.
Keep in mind that in most cases regulated utilities just pass the cost on to the rate payers. As a result you get the elevator fixed rather than risk injury from people using stairs while a project is under way.

The Miller brewing Plant in Eden was union and the had some Honeywell control operating the place. Back in the 80's . Friends FIL was a Honeywell Tech working on something there and needed a panel installed. He said by lunchtime the union guys had installed one anchor. While they went to lunch he installed the other three and began putting his control equipment in. They filed a grievance that he was doing union work and Miller told him to leave the job.
About a week later they called and said PLEASE come back and get this control system working.

The Miller brewing Plant in Eden was union and the had some Honeywell control operating the place. Back in the 80's . Friends FIL was a Honeywell Tech working on something there and needed a panel installed. He said by lunchtime the union guys had installed one anchor. While they went to lunch he installed the other three and began putting his control equipment in. They filed a grievance that he was doing union work and Miller told him to leave the job.
About a week later they called and said PLEASE come back and get this control system working.
Alot of stories like that are BS. Partly because when you have a contractor come in to do work, they do the work themselves minus help from the plants staff. In addition many union plants have contracting out rules that prohibited non union contractors if at all possible.
I am by no means pro union, but I also am not anti union. I ve worked in management and I have worked in the union. I'm just telling you what I have seen.

I worked for a utility and honestly never experienced that sort of crap. We were strictly union with most all of the contractors union as well.
Keep in mind that in most cases regulated utilities just pass the cost on to the rate payers. As a result you get the elevator fixed rather than risk injury from people using stairs while a project is under way.

Alot of stories like that are BS. Partly because when you have a contractor come in to do work, they do the work themselves minus help from the plants staff. In addition many union plants have contracting out rules that prohibited non union contractors if at all possible.
I am by no means pro union, but I also am not anti union. I ve worked in management and I have worked in the union. I'm just telling you what I have seen.
Partly because when you have a contractor come in to do work, they do the work themselves minus help from the plants staff.

While not plant staff, we were often forced to use the craft labor. So, a lot of this story might be BS.

Its not a bias. It's the truth.

Sorry the truth hurts you so.

If you can't work on a modern chainsaw your mechanical skill isn't that good.

Never said I couldn't, but it's not a pleasant experience. Just like working on a new automobile.

As far as mechanical skills, I've repaired scientific instruments and spectrophotometers far more complicated than saws or autos, and worth millions of dollars. Some of that was not very much fun either.

Latest posts

Back