Log Splitter pump problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGasMan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone, ive been on here awhile but i forgot my username and password so i had to make a new account. Anyway, i have an old Didier log splitter but i imagine the pumps on all or most are similar. I was splitting wood last weekend and it just stopped, ram wouldnt move, wasnt pumping anything. I took the pump apart and the gear thats on the same shaft as the LoveJoy coupler, the keyway is sheared off. Its not a normal square keyway and its not a woodruff key, It looks just like a small round pin. Its roughly 1/4" long and about the same thickness as a toothpick. Ive been to a few shops, (erie bearing and morgantown hydraulics) and they cant seem to come up with anything. I was able to file down a woodruff key to fit it but i think it will shear off because its not rounded. The pump has a tag with a model and serial # but no manufacturer. Anyone have a clue where i can find this? Ive been looking for hours for exploded parts diagrams but i noone shows whats in the pump. I was able to find the part on the Sears parts direct website, but of course the item is no longer available. Since i had it apart i was going to replace the O-ring, both C clips that hold the gear and the key. Cant find anything. Im trying to avoid buying a new pump when this one can be fixed with a .50 cent part. Thanks.

Unfortunately the 2-stage log splitter pumps are not considered rebuildable as parts are not available. After the pump sections are separated precise thickness of gasket most be used to reconnect the sections, a couple thousands off and the gear will either bind or the fluid will bypass.

A new pump can often be found online for around a hundred dollars. They all use a standard 4-bolt pattern. If your splitter has a 5hp. engine it will have 11gpm pump.

When you say a 2 stage is unrebuildable does that mean that a single stage pump is rebuildable? Im pretty sure this is a single stage. Of course id like to have a 2 stage but it has split fine for me the last 3 years and if its the difference between buying a keyway and a whole new pump, id rather just get the keyway. I think i know what you're talking about with the thin gasket, its kind of like an amber color film? There wasnt any of that in this when i separated it. I have a pic of the half with the lovejoy connected, ill try to attach it. This pump has a 7/16 shaft and the the lovejoy is a L075 or 1.75 OD. Ill try to get a pic of everything later one. The only problem i see with a 2 stage is i might have a clearance problem between the pump and the hydraulic tank. Also, with a new pump, i think they're all 1/2" shaft so id have to get an L075 .500 Lovejoy for the pump. The splitter originally had the gold 5hp Briggs. I replaced it with a Briggs from a rototiller, I think its 5.5 or 6hp, that will still require a 11gpm right? There isnt anything wrong with the 5hp, the new one isnt as loud.

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 45
I installed a 11 gpm pump on mine with 6.5 hp motor. Motor does not work hard at all. It's been nice have a two stage pump. Bought it on eBay for less than 100. Went with a cast iron housing instead of aluminum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
vu5a5yhy.jpg
qy4a4ypa.jpg

thanks for the pics. im still using the small hydraulic tank. It looks like i wont have any clearance issues with a your 2 stage pump judging by the mounting holes from the old tank. i thought the pumps were longer than that. any idea what seller you got the pump from? were the hose fittings the same? thanks again.

When you say a 2 stage is unrebuildable does that mean that a single stage pump is rebuildable? Im pretty sure this is a single stage. Of course id like to have a 2 stage but it has split fine for me the last 3 years and if its the difference between buying a keyway and a whole new pump, id rather just get the keyway. I think i know what you're talking about with the thin gasket, its kind of like an amber color film? There wasnt any of that in this when i separated it. I have a pic of the half with the lovejoy connected, ill try to attach it. This pump has a 7/16 shaft and the the lovejoy is a L075 or 1.75 OD. Ill try to get a pic of everything later one. The only problem i see with a 2 stage is i might have a clearance problem between the pump and the hydraulic tank. Also, with a new pump, i think they're all 1/2" shaft so id have to get an L075 .500 Lovejoy for the pump. The splitter originally had the gold 5hp Briggs. I replaced it with a Briggs from a rototiller, I think its 5.5 or 6hp, that will still require a 11gpm right? There isnt anything wrong with the 5hp, the new one isnt as loud.
bring the gear and shaft to a machine shop and have them make a new key, and a couple spares, its likely the weak link to prevent major damage to the pump... id probably have it made out of brass or something somewhat soft so its still able to shear...

thanks for the pics. im still using the small hydraulic tank. It looks like i wont have any clearance issues with a your 2 stage pump judging by the mounting holes from the old tank. i thought the pumps were longer than that. any idea what seller you got the pump from? were the hose fittings the same? thanks again.

Have no idea on supplier but the fittings were the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the hole is round are you sure that it is not supposed to have a roll pin installed? They are a friction fit pin made from hardened spring steel.

But I am with TTester - those really aren't designed to be field repairable.

I thought it might be a roll pin but i dont get how that would hold up because its hollow. Might be though.
I had a pile of logs in the yard that i was splitting when it quit that i had to get cleaned up so it didnt kill the grass. I decided to just put it back together with the makeshift filed down woodruff key. the first time it leaked like crazy because the o-ring got smashed. i filled in the groove to about the same thickness as the o-ring with rtv sealant. it actually stayed together and didnt leak a drop while i split yhe 30 or so logs. i even went through knots expecting it to shear the key or blow the seal and some how it didnt.
i still plan on replacing it with the 2 stage so this thread isnt over, i just wanted to keep everyone updated on whats going on. 2014-05-28_16-19-02_154.jpg2014-05-28_15-52-03_313.jpg 2014-05-28_15-51-40_136.jpg

That is by no means a long term fix, just didnt feel like swinging a maul today.
The suction hose on the pump has a crimp fitting on it now. When i get the new pump, can i just use a regular screw hose clamp?

I thought it might be a roll pin but i dont get how that would hold up because its hollow. Might be though.
I had a pile of logs in the yard that i was splitting when it quit that i had to get cleaned up so it didnt kill the grass. I decided to just put it back together with the makeshift filed down woodruff key. the first time it leaked like crazy because the o-ring got smashed. i filled in the groove to about the same thickness as the o-ring with rtv sealant. it actually stayed together and didnt leak a drop while i split yhe 30 or so logs. i even went through knots expecting it to shear the key or blow the seal and some how it didnt.
i still plan on replacing it with the 2 stage so this thread isnt over, i just wanted to keep everyone updated on whats going on. View attachment 352557View attachment 352558 View attachment 352559
could have been a knurled dowel pin, its solid but the knurls keep it in place, or a press fit dowel pin...

could have been a knurled dowel pin, its solid but the knurls keep it in place, or a press fit dowel pin...
Those two applications are typically for slow rpm machine type stuff and are usually hand fitted. I'm still betting on roll pin. Them suckers are hard.

So if its a roll pin, i should have to tap the gear over it so its tight right? that should be an easy fix once this woodruff key fails

Typically the pin is the part that is tapped into place.

ETA: I want to remind you again that these are not usually field repairable. The factory could very well have a jig for proper placement and assembly of this part. Proceed as you see fit.

So if its a roll pin, i should have to tap the gear over it so its tight right? that should be an easy fix once this woodruff key fails
is it a hole through the shaft and gear, or is it a slot the length of the of the shaft?

Typically the pin is the part that is tapped into place.

ETA: I want to remind you again that these are not usually field repairable. The factory could very well have a jig for proper placement and assembly of this part. Proceed as you see fit.
it really doesnt matter, its broken, he doesnt know who made it, so if he can fix it and it works then great, if he tries to fix it and it doesnt work then he hasnt lost anything...

I shouldve taken a pic while i had the gear off but the best description i can give is break a toothpick into a 1/2" long piece and that is the exact size. i considered using a finish nail cut down to size. i

Howdy,

I have seen spring pins ( basically a double rolled roll pin ), or even a roll pin inside of a roll pin as a shear but, the size you describe doesn't hardly seem big enough. Is the pin in line with the allen screw of the love joy?

Regards
Gregg

Back