Looking for a new saw with a 24" bar. Echo 490 or Husky 550x?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on your expectations, but as many have said a 24" on those 2 saws is way too much bar for their power output. For oak i would look at a much bigger saw for burying a 24" bar into.

I run a 24" bar on my 372XP and my 7900. Would not even consider it on my 550XP or any saw around that power. I use 16" on my 50cc saws. However i am mostly cutting extremely tough hardwoods so YMMV.

More interesting if the 60cc saw can use the small spline drive sprockets as you most likely have to use a 9 tooth drive on that cs-600P
That is correct. That's why it's still an experiment for me. The 600P is a torque-y saw, and has a base gasket delete, which helps. The .325 chain is less grabby, or hungry, and helps with the high chain speed. You are correct about the small spine rim, and I have a similar 24" .325 chain setup on a Echo CS-5500. 55cc. Great for limbing and cutting up a dropped tree until you get to the 18" wood or so. 7T rim.

neither. 20", tops on those. The 620P will pull a 24, however, with skip.
Start looking at 70cc saws for what you propose.
I run a 620p with 24" full through 20-30+ inch Ash all the time.
It's pretty quick, not the fastest, but boy is it reliable and cheaper than other Pro saws in the same class.

This is one tree right?

Why a bigger saw that will get little use when a 590 is good for general purpose cutting. Could run that with a skip and be fine I would think, for one tree?

Back