Lucas Ethanol treatment good, bad?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done this in small test tubes to verify ethanol content, water will pull the the alcohol out of solution.

but Ethanol raises the octane. ethanol allows them to use lower octane hydrocarbon chains as the base fuel. I don't know how much but I do know your 93 will no longer be 93 after you have removed the ethanol. Probably well into the 80's.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Expect to lose approx 3-4 points, so 93 yields roughly 89-90. Perfectly fine for our purposes.

I have questions along these lines, most of the non ethanol around here is 87 octane, my newest saw, a Makita/Dolmar calls for 91 octane in the manual, closest I could find was 90 from a kinda seedy store, that fuel has a dark color to it, somewhere between the straw color of regular gas and the brown of diesel,

Ho low can we really go? I am in a coastal area the 87 gets put into boats hundreds of gallons at a time, it's fresh and clean. The 90 well not so much.

Will 87 hurt a Dolmar?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

What about buying the high volume fresh 87 and boosting the octane with addative?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another question, is your equipment running bad or why are you trying to aquire non ethanol fuel? I mean WHAT is running wrong?

I presume there is nothing running wrong at all and only the internet stupidity is driving you crazy so that you want to change something...

dd6e090e0dc2e5b90bf846dc328e0aa2.jpg

The above pic is a joke and hints at the never ending pursuit of increased horsepower at little to no cost.

All my Equiptment runs excellent and I have good habits when it comes to preventative maintenance on all of my Equiptment. I'm in the process of purchasing several new high dollar pro saws and was just re evaluating the quality of fuel I use to alleviate any bad habits.

Jason

I disagree sir. It is NOT easy to avoid it. Maybe where you live it is easy.

Thanks

Jason

If you are in the process of aquiring brand new pro saws, the brand you have chosen should have considered the high probability of contact with ethanol fuel in western contries. If your saws breaks because of ethanol fuel, then it has NOTHING to do because of fuel quality but because the brand simply ignored the facts and deliberately chose to put their product at risk! That would be a brand I would never aquire anymore!

But reading here for sometime, I have never read of any problems with the current line of products from any company due to fuel!

Maybe a little inconvenience, a one hour round trip for me. I call that easy. :)
If I had to do a one hour round trip to buy the RIGHT fuel, I would change the brand of my equipment where fuel type is not a problem! I would even be faster with the cheapest slowest china saw if I include your travel time for fuel purchase!

If I had to do a one hour round trip to buy the RIGHT fuel, I would change the brand of my equipment where fuel type is not a problem! I would even be faster with the cheapest slowest china saw if I include your travel time for fuel purchase!

One hour round trip is nothing where we live. Closest gas station is a 45 minute round trip.

Hey 7, what are you smoking this morning? Do you people have ethanol in ya gas over there?
Of course we have it! And guess what I have never had a problem with it. In the german forums over here the only saws with problems were the vintage models 20 or more years old. After replacement of fuel lines, carb membranes, etc. the problems are gone. But no one knows if that wouldn't have been needed sooner or later anyway. Anyone believing that rubber or plastic stays soft for decades is simply lying to himself!

One hour round trip is nothing where we live. Closest gas station is a 45 minute round trip.
Closest gas station for me is half an hour on foot. Although I buy my gas when at the gas station refueling my diesel car on the way back from work. I happen to drive past one of the cheapest gas station in my part of the city on the way home from work. I buy around 20 litres at once but use it not only for my mix but also for my motorcycle, etc.

If you are in the process of aquiring brand new pro saws, the brand you have chosen should have considered the high probability of contact with ethanol fuel in western contries. If your saws breaks because of ethanol fuel, then it has NOTHING to do because of fuel quality but because the brand simply ignored the facts and deliberately chose to put their product at risk! That would be a brand I would never aquire anymore!

But reading here for sometime, I have never read of any problems with the current line of products from any company due to fuel!

lol...c'mon man. You have to be trolling with this stuff right?

You expect OPE companies to ignore their largest markets because politically motivated, feel good legislature produced a law that diminishes the quality of the very fuel that feeds their products? I'm quite sure they know the damage that ethanol does and their work around is to advise you not to use it as it may POSSIBLY void your warranty. All of the OPE makers mention this in their owner's manuals. Here is a nice little visual aide from Echo:
http://www.echo-usa.com/Images/warranty/Ethanol/ethanol-infographic.jpg

ETA: not sure why O P E outdoor power equipment was censored. Weird...

The ethanol is not the issue here gentlemen it is leaving it in your saws for an extended length of time that is the issue. Most of the landscapers run the cheap gas but they are going through 20 liters a day. THE issue is when they leave it in for 6 months the carbs get slathered in that ethanol spooge. The ethanol removal method is useless as the gas will still go stale and that will cause issues. IF you are running the saws there is no problem that I have seen. It is the storage that is the issue. Again I can not see why people are being so cheap? When I store my saws they get some motomix in the tank, I fire them up.. then shut them off. Done. I have 10 liters of 6 month old, e free fuel that I will gladly give to someone local to try and run in their saw. ( tried it already and the saw ran terrible, dumped out the 6 month old, kept in a cool place, metal can, airtight lidded fuel with fresh mix and the saw ran champ ) I had 20 liters and poured 10 in a co-workers car, next day the car threw a fit CEL shuddering etc.. stale fuel no so good.

http://blog.jackssmallengines.com/2015/04/see-ethanol-damage-up-close/

IMG_20140614_121117.jpg
Closest gas station for me is half an hour on foot. Although I buy my gas when at the gas station refueling my diesel car on the way back from work. I happen to drive past one of the cheapest gas station in my part of the city on the way home from work. I buy around 20 litres at once but use it not only for my mix but also for my motorcycle, etc.

7 do they still have the mixing stations for the mopeds in your area?

From what I read high humidity areas only exaggerates the problem. Explains why I have had so many issues in the past. Now I follow the advice I read here. Only mix a gallon at a time and dump it in the car what I don't use and mix a new batch after 30 days. No problems yet.

Back