Mail Order Stihls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when ever i sell a saw here at the shop,new or used, the buyer gets the whole run down. seasoned guys will roll their eyes but so what. they are the ones that say they are too tough for the decompression valve(5 part starting plan). i just explain, it is for the saw, not you. "oh".
i recommend the safety package. some buy it from me,some shop around, some don't bother.
if a saw comes in for repair and it can not pass the 5 part safety check, i include the price of those parts in the repair quote. if they do not what it fixed right, i won't fix it. i do not what to hear a lawyer say "marty had the saw just before joe homeowner got cut so bad. if it was unsafe why did marty give it back that way?"
used saws can be test run. if i have a used saw the same as what someone wants new they can test run the used. when a new saw is paid for, the buyer gets all nessassry information and they can test run the saw. does lowes do that?
sedanman, when you bought your 064, buck gave you quick starting run-down. sorry that the only wood to cut at that time was the crutches i was on.:D
marty

Lawsuits

"I believe that 99.9% of people have no intentions of looking for a settlement when no injury has occured, in fact most peolple probably imagine that they are above such actions and wouldn`t accept any money if it were thrown on the table in front of them."

Come on down to Los Angeles. There are more lawyers here in this county than in the Country of Japan.

I guess that is why a tree service here can make $100,000 trimming trees and the insurance isn't cheap.

GO Russ!!

I agree totally, Russ. But ottolectrolux doesn't support his local dealer, buys all his stuff online and only pops in for the occassional sprocket. He could care less if his dealer goes broke and has proven it by his actions regardless of what he may say.

I buy whatever I can from my dealer for two reasons. I can drive over and have the item in my hot lil paws within 30 minutes rather than placing an order and waiting a week for the UPS truck, and he appreciates my business by giving me good prices on bigger items without my even asking. I don't bicker with him on prices, and I'm glad to pay a few cents more on smaller items because it all adds up and keeps his doors open.

Its just like everything else. Some dealers bend over backwards with customer service some dont. My dealer is great. I may pay a very slight amount more for things from him, but I try to go out of my way to provide him with business. One time I lost the eclip that holds the sprocket on to the crank shaft. I was in the middle of removing a blow down in my neighbors yard when It happened so i needed the part quick. I ran down to the dealer, but he was out,so I explained the situation to him. He quickly took one of a saw on the shelf and sent me on my way free of charge. Its little things like that that keep me coming back.

Kudos to Russ, well said.
Our company was sued a long time ago, this was before OPEI. It involved a Gravely LI 6.6 with a square chute snowthrower. Those who know the machine , know what I mean. We sold the machine, the salesman went out to the delivery with the machine, spent a good amount of time explaining how to properly use the machine. Long story short, someone got mangled. We got sued, Gravely got sued, and others were sued. It was found that there was operator neglegence, none the less everyone got shafted. Its a cover your ass world for power equipment dealers.
Josh

Hi All, I`m glad that I was able to convey my message clearly enough for everyone to understand my point without thinking it was a "kick Otto" post. Otto is a friend of mine, but even if he weren`t I wouldn`t mean to wolfpack him or anyone else. Russ

Jokers you're such a Shellback

Cool you said Wolfpack, or did you mean something more natural and less submariner?

thanks russ - i agree to disagree with you on this one and have got a pretty hard shell so i can take an occasional kick too if need be.

anyway - back to the liability isssues: i think that a better approach than some bulls&&*t training a dealer should offer training and make the customer sign a disclaimer whether he participated in training. www. dealers should sent a video with the saw and also make the customer sign a disclaimer. i just have a problem with paying extra for my dealers here because they dont provide me with extra. ie. situation: chain on backwards from dealer - i would not have wanted him to put the chain or bar on in the first place. just my opinion...

btw; i bought the sprocket from the dealer cos i needed it then and there. i did have to pay extra.:blob2:

Don, shellback, huh, and what`s so wrong and unnatural with submariners anyway, except that thing about wanting to float under the surface rather than on top? LOL. Besides, you know what they say about turds floating.

Otto, I don`t think we are so far apart on this issue, I won`t support an ignorant or thoughtless dealer either. I am willing to not be so stingy if the dealer makes an honest effort at being competent and competitive, but when on the property of any business I consider it my responsibilty to not create any unnecessary liability. Even if the owner is the biggest jerk on the face of the earth, it`s almost impossible not to hurt some innocent employee when the owner get`s hammered with a huge judgement. Later, Russ

Seawarfare Terminology

I always thought the tubers thought if its not designed to sink it's a target.

The surface fleet says a sub is only half finished (until it sinks the rest of the way!)

Personally I have never seen a chainsaw on a ship. Nukes maybe but I could never confirm nor deny.

i can see your point Russ but this babying seems a little excessive to me - when you go to a gun range you sign a disclaimer/waiver, but when you BUY one you dont - weird? I dont think so, because if someone messes up and wants to sue for liability it will most likely be against the parent company of the dealer (ie. Stihl, Husky, Colt, Beretta etc.) - much bigger settlements that way rather than clearing out some little dealer that could not even come up with paying the legal fees of such action.

Anyway - the safety instructions are plentiful with all the saws today and IMHO separate training (while a good idea if needed) needs to remain voluntary and not under the guise of "liability issues. These are of course matters that the dealer will decide personally in the end but it just rubs me the wrong way personally (aint that the first:angel: ).

PS. nice work there on the other site:D

Back