Mastermind Meets The MS661 Again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in the North East they do not do much clear cutting, and those big machines would be too destructive and not efficient enough to operate in those situations. I think there will always be a need for a man with a saw.

A well ported saw will definitely enable you to increase your productivity.

Yeah.....it ain't a damn bit cheap Chris.

No Keith, I want to lower the intake duration.

This jug is one I had from the first 661 I ported. I didn't lower the exhaust port,and it just didn't make the power I was looking for. In order to be able to further cut the squish, I need to raise the floor of the intake so it's not crazy low.

It should work fine on the intake, Randy. I have been wanting to raise the floor of the exhaust port on a couple cylinders. I wish the saws I am working on had longer piston skirts. I would like to drop the jug lower but cannot as it will freeport at TDC. I didn't know if anything would stand up to the heat on the exhaust port other than welding it up. But, it would have to be bored round again, would have no plating and may gall. Pretty nice those Stihl pistons have such long skirts.

I've built a few saws that freeport at TDC. One was over .060 over the exhaust. It didn't seem to hurt anything. If it was more, I'd be worried about polluting the crankcase.....

.060" is significant. Glad to hear you didn't experience any negative effects. What kind of runtime did you have on it? Ever pull it back down to inspect? Would imagine that it would keep the exhaust port clean. Wondering if it would help to actually increase intake velocity (as charge escapes out the exhaust) and help fill the crankcase with more charge than normal.

Neal Murphy has that saw.......it's been 3 -4 years since I built it.

It was my entry in the MS460 build off.

I ran the **** out of it........

I did have to tear it down once........I swapped a damaged case half after a year or so. It was nice and clean throughout.

Latest posts

Back