McCulloch 10-10A restoration question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firecat101

Reaction score
I am helping a friend restore his old 10-10A and we are at the point troubleshooting the ignition as it is not getting fire to the plug. After a little google searching it seems likely the best option to remedy this is to install one of the electronic chips to replace the points & condenser. With that being said the question has arose of what coil to use with the chip. Many articles have indicated that the points era coils are not suitable to use with the chips. Any suggestions/information on this would be great.

I am helping a friend restore his old 10-10A and we are at the point troubleshooting the ignition as it is not getting fire to the plug. After a little google searching it seems likely the best option to remedy this is to install one of the electronic chips to replace the points & condenser. With that being said the question has arose of what coil to use with the chip. Many articles have indicated that the points era coils are not suitable to use with the chips. Any suggestions/information on this would be great.

Ask your question in the McCulloch thread and you will likely get your answer pronto. Thread is in the stickie section of the chainsaw forum (at the top). Ron

The stock points system works fine when everything is in order, have you checked any of the components out yet? I just set up one myself, the point gap, flywheel gap AND plug gap were all out. Now it runs perfectly, in fact it runs so good I'm sorry it's not my saw!
The first step is to swap out the spark plug, you would be surprised how many people this catches out. Second, check the flywheel gap. It should be around 11 thou. At this point the flywheel must come off if you are to check the points, they should be 19 thou. If they show a lot of pitting, suspect the condenser.

Gratuitous 10-10 picture of the one I just finished setting up.

Attachments

• IMG_20191123_191324.jpg
    IMG_20191123_191324.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
The stock points system works fine when everything is in order, have you checked any of the components out yet? I just set up one myself, the point gap, flywheel gap AND plug gap were all out. Now it runs perfectly, in fact it runs so good I'm sorry it's not my saw!
The first step is to swap out the spark plug, you would be surprised how many people this catches out. Second, check the flywheel gap. It should be around 11 thou. At this point the flywheel must come off if you are to check the points, they should be 19 thou. If they show a lot of pitting, suspect the condenser.

Gratuitous 10-10 picture of the one I just finished setting up.

The saw was running when he last used it a few months ago but it will not fire now. It is not getting fire to the spark plug so the failure is somewhere prior to the plug.

might try just cleaning the points first, especially used in a wet environment they corrode and and also "burn" through regular use. i find 1000 grit sandpaper and acetone cleans them up nicely

I have most , the 10 series points and electronic ignition, and the mc-brick series with one 655 with the aluminum air filter cover pro version; some pro mac 700s, even a vintage 550 super; i really like vintage quality made in the USA 2 strokes. they are my favorites and many of you guys love them too. . I am familiar with the bolt pattern for the points style coil and the electronic style coil. bolt pattern is different. Is there a way or a part number that i can get an electronic coil that bolts to older points saws? the electronic coils have the 2 bolt holes on a single plane. the points style has one bolt hole one the top, and the second on the side. Do i have to put it in a drill press and drill the other hole to fit it into an older saw. I have used those cheap chips and they las a year and junk out.

I have read of the mysterious stickies and i can't find them or know where they are.
The Mcculloch Wizard, "Heimannm" knows what i am asking.
I would bet money he knows what to do.

Back