McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got quite a bit taken apart last night on the 450. Man this saw is dirty and has some corrosion, but the crank and rod bearings look OK. Main bearings have some rust. Next step is pulling the rod and piston.

1000009713.jpg1000009726.jpg1000009729.jpg

I was going to say....I started counting and didn't look like a million needles, haha.

Very random question but has anyone used wintergreen oil and rubbing alcohol to soften old, hard rubber parts? I have a few rubber pieces on this saw that are in good shape but hardened beyone being usable (like the cap that goes on the side cover for spark plug access).

Very random question but has anyone used wintergreen oil and rubbing alcohol to soften old, hard rubber parts? I have a few rubber pieces on this saw that are in good shape but hardened beyone being usable (like the cap that goes on the side cover for spark plug access).

I have used gum spirits of turpentine to revive old printer rollers. Not sure if that softened the rubber or just made it sticky, but it worked for several years after treatment.

I was going to say....I started counting and didn't look like a million needles, haha.

Brake Fluid has been known to improve flexibility of old rubber diaphragms. Soak your hardened rubber parts for a day and see how they are, If it needs more softening, let them soak another day etc...

If all else fails, I believe Max the Mac Man is selling new caps https://maxmacman.com/

Latest posts

Back