McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I officially started cutting firewood today. I cut up 2 oak logs and got 1 split before i ran out of daylight. I dont need much this year. Wr barely burnt wood last year here. It was too warm most days. Ill get what i need and be done. However i decided to get a big saw out for the sound of it!! Sp125. It started right up and ran great. What a machine that is. I had those 2 logs cut up into rounds in less than 20 minutes. They werent small either. Not giant though too. 22-24 inch diameter red oak. It was fun.

Mac 450:

How do I assemble the bottom end such that I don't destroy the PTO side crank seal? The crank has a bit of a sharp edge, (I'm experimenting with the old seal). I can work the seal on pretty easy with the crank removed but I'm a little worried about installing the seal and then just pressing the crank straight into it....

Do I install the seal into the cylinder first? Or after the crank is installed? The service manual says to use some kind of seal protector cap...do I put a wrap of electrical tape around the edge on the crank?

The last thing I want to do is tear my new seal...

1000009919.jpg1000009920.jpg

The 795 i just got has the hl19 tilly carb. It does bolt right up. The throttle linkage looks like a factory linkage. The choke is home made though. It originally had a mac flat back on it.
good to know, I'm still in between projects, but as soon as I get time I'll be swapping the tilly over.

Mac 450:

How do I assemble the bottom end such that I don't destroy the PTO side crank seal? The crank has a bit of a sharp edge, (I'm experimenting with the old seal). I can work the seal on pretty easy with the crank removed but I'm a little worried about installing the seal and then just pressing the crank straight into it....

Do I install the seal into the cylinder first? Or after the crank is installed? The service manual says to use some kind of seal protector cap...do I put a wrap of electrical tape around the edge on the crank?

The last thing I want to do is tear my new seal...

View attachment 1214015View attachment 1214016

Use either a strip of aluminum from a beer can or thin piece of plastic from packaging. Cut it just long enough to wrap around the crank shoulder, place it in the seal and tap the seal on with a socket. Use oil. No cost method.

Back