McCulloch Mini and Small CC Chainsaw's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All back together except for the Walbro carb (waiting for rebuild kit). I poured a little premix into the intake and it fired right up! Not much of a collector's saw but it should get some work done around my property.

1000008165.jpg1000008167.jpg

Maybe a little late but the 35 and 38 both have the 38cc label. I did notice the cylinders had the respective cc stamped on them. I have read here before and agree from use, the 38 seems to be under powered compared to the 35.

Do the Jenn Feng McCullochs have the same ignition module issues as the Eager Beaver lineage of saws? Luckily I already have a good spare coil for the 1635.

I would say the Jenn Feng modules were actually more reliable than ones on the Italian McCulloch saws. I have not had many issues with the older McCulloch electronic ignitions (black, brown, larger white/cream colored units. I have some inside information that suggests the designs were very good, but purchasing was always pursuing cheaper suppliers and the execution of the designs were often compromised resulting in excessive failure rates. There were even reports that lots of goods that were rejected in Lake Havasu and Tucson ended up being shipped to Australia.

This type was less reliable on the smaller saws.

IMG_5233.JPG

Mark

So I've got my 1635 back together and it runs like a dream, I just had the chance to start it, let it idle for a few minutes with a few blips of throttle. The only problem is my auto oiler doesn't seem to be pumping oil yet. I did drain the oil tank and remove the pickup line when I had it apart. Is there any sort of priming procedure I need to do? Does it need to be running at higher throttle to pump oil? It's past midnight right now so trying not to make my neighbors angry, so I never tried cutting any wood yet.
Any insight will be much appreciated!

I'd say is a pretty good chance the oiler gear is stripped, that was pretty common on those models. You will have to pull the flywheel again, remove the oil pump and examine the plastic gear on the plunger (Item 2).

1723206910769.png

The kit is PN 301084. Maybe Max will uncover some in his inventory from Bob Johnson but I think even Bob was running low on those. You may have to find a donor saw with a working oil pump.

Mark

Ouch ok thanks Mark, I had a feeling you'd have some ideas.

I read sometimes they need to be primed with a lighter oil and then switched to bar oil, I'll give that a try first and then pop the flywheel off if I'm still getting nothing.

How does the plunger actually function? I can see how the worm gear (part 8) would turn it, but is it on some kind of cam lobe that creates the pumping action? I sure wish there was some way to observe it function with the saw assembled.

One last thing....there appears to be new production oil pumps that fit these saws available for about $15! They appear to fit a broad range of saws.

I was able to take one apart (remove pin at top, hope everything doesn't jack-in-the-box), clean it and replace the o-ring. Worked after that. Probably got lucky. I have also heard on this site that they don’t hold up with regular bar oil, winter weight or veg oil must be used.

Thanks guys, I replaced the bar oil with some 0W-20 and I'm going to try running it again today as soon as I have the opportunity.

This saw has EXTREMELY low hours on it, so hopefully the gears are in good shape and I just need to get it primed.

Update: The MS 1635 is going on the shelf indefinitely. I decided to try running it, not only is it not pumping oil but after a few minutes of running I lost spark. I'm assuming the coil is junk and quit as soon as it warmed up.
Not spending any more time on this piece of junk right now haha....I've got a 10-10 waiting to be worked on. Thanks for the help fellas, I may revisit this one in the winter.

Back