Modern equivalent to Stihl 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add a 261 with 20 inch bar. I'm a few years out of back surgery and the 261 is my go to saw for most of my firewood--Live oak, tan oak, and madrone. I grab the 462 if there are a lot of 18" plus cuts but the 261 with a nice sharp chain is a versatile saw. And after back surgery I do try to cherry pick the smaller stuff so I can stand up and split horizontal because horsing around huge pieces of wood is a bit less fun post-surgery.

The 400 will run neck and neck with an 044, is lighter and handles a lot better, the av and air filter are light-years better then the 044. Only other saw I'd rather have is a newer 462.
I get lots guys who run older saws and newer huskies always surprised by how light and nimble the 462 is. I was debating getting the 572 but after reading a lot I went for the 462 and I'm sure glad I did! I got a 572 a month ago and I honestly couldn't be bothered to use it if the 462 is in the truck as well. That being said the 572 has its place and its a solid saw.

Why do you like the 462 that much more than the 572?
How do you find the stock air filter on the 462. I was looking at it and sure looks like fines are going to get past it. The 572 air filter looks way better to me? What have you noticed owning both?

I find that the 462 'feels' lighter and a little more nimble when felling. When bucking since I am usually cutting 20" and smaller, I find that the 462 self-feeds more nicely, but that could be personal preference. On the flipside, I really like the husqvarna start/shop lever (I much prefer husky controls and simple toggles) and the husqvarna AV on the 572 is amazing to say the least. I would have to spend more time on both to maybe change my mind, but with the current setups, the weight savings on the 462 is what I reach for. (Stihl 462 has a 32" stihl ES light bar, Husqvarna 572 has a 28" Husky standard bar). I regularily clean the air filters so I cannot say much there except that it's clean inside the filter. I keep pretty hungry chains though so there isn't much for fines when cutting. The 572 is better balanced, but its a heavier powerhead... I like both and I am not opposed to either, just keep em sharp and run them hard

I find that the 462 'feels' lighter and a little more nimble when felling. When bucking since I am usually cutting 20" and smaller, I find that the 462 self-feeds more nicely, but that could be personal preference. On the flipside, I really like the husqvarna start/shop lever (I much prefer husky controls and simple toggles) and the husqvarna AV on the 572 is amazing to say the least. I would have to spend more time on both to maybe change my mind, but with the current setups, the weight savings on the 462 is what I reach for. (Stihl 462 has a 32" stihl ES light bar, Husqvarna 572 has a 28" Husky standard bar). I regularily clean the air filters so I cannot say much there except that it's clean inside the filter. I keep pretty hungry chains though so there isn't much for fines when cutting. The 572 is better balanced, but its a heavier powerhead... I like both and I am not opposed to either, just keep em sharp and run them hard
What do you mean by the husky AV?

You don’t find fine matter going into the carb when cleaning the air filter of the 462?

I have a 5105 and has the same start stop as the husky and I love it. Not a big fan of stihl but haven’t ran one long yet. With that said I do like the chain tensioner in the saw like stihl not in the cover like husky. What do you find with those. Never had a saw with it in the cover yet?
I’m looking for a bigger firewood saw and looking at these two saws. There is think l like and dislike about both. Like not a big fan of stihl gas caps

AV=anti-vibration, so the husky uses springs where the stihl uses rubber bushings, and the springs are just a notch above. No fine matter in either of the machines.

Lots of good advice here, KEEP that 044 and ADD a 261C? Then you have an investment grade lighter saw that will see most of the use and the "heritage saw" for "now and then" big stuff.
I was in near the exact same boat this winter; at 69YO with the usual body wear n tear, 100% wood heat in WI. After seeing what was recommended here, grabbed a near new 462C that popped up near me, sold the 440 and then really splurged and sold on the 028 and got the 261C, not a lot of time on either yet. But this should see me to the end of my wood cutting days (I'll get a Milwaukee battery saw when I'm too feeble for gas).
Breaking in the 261C with 20" bar a joy "limbing" this Red Elm
View attachment 1151453
and the 462C will do the 20" plus trunk today.

I won't quote everyone or every option already posted in page 1. But, I do think the keeping of the 044 is a wise move. I had never considered a 261 since I already had 2-026's, and the 044 and a 660.

I was hunting a 200T when I came upon a guy selling 3 saws for the money I could get 1 used 200T for.
I wound up with a 193T, 201TCM and a MS261. The 261 is a nice saw.

As much as I love my 590, it's similar size and weight as an 044 and only a hair stronger than a 362. Impossible to beat for the $$$ but there's better options if you're willing to spend the coin
Jftr, my 590 is in no way, shape or form stronger than my 362. When the 590 runs out of porting and falls flat on its face, the 362 gets into his high-end power and rips. Midrange (which is top-end for the 590) is similar, but I think my oe 362 is a bit torquier there too. And it handles way better, even tho it's a bit blocky. And the antivibe is like night and day. Short story, the 590 and the ms362 are incomparable.

Farm saw vs pro saw. Distinct difference in power characteristics, handling, antivibe, etc, etc

Anywho, the 044 is irreplaceable. Rebuild it and get a small saw, 45-50cc. One saw is no saws.

Or not

I just completed #28 this week, can`t seem to stay away from them after buying my first 044 back around 89, used it on a big hurricane cleanup and then a 2200 acre cut over it proved itself to me that I would never be without one, the herd increased from there.They are still my most used mid sized saw although the MS362 has seen more use lately the MS360 and 036 get some sunshine as well.

Hi, this is probably my first post in over a decade. Life got in the way and I fell off the Arboristsite wagon for quite a while! My question is regarding my Stihl 044 which has been my go-to firewood saw for over 20 years. We are having a large Lopi wood burning fireplace insert delivered next week, and my woodcutting is likely to pick up once it's installed. I was wondering how my 044 stacks up against it's more modern competition. I haven't done nearly as much cutting recently as I did in my younger years. I am working with a partially torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder (I'm a lefty), and some aggravating tendonitis in my left elbow. I have learned to work around these issues and can still fairly effectively wield the 044, but was wondering if there are other options nowadays that are capable of 044-like performance at a noticeably lighter weight. Thanks, in advance for any advice.
You still have one of Stihl's finest saws they ever put together with your old 044. I would take it over many of today saws any day.

Latest posts

Back