Ms270/280

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihltech

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I got my parts fiche on the saw today. I am not sure what I think about it yet. Cylinder similar to 025, but, bottom of motor is the whole bottom of saw, no cap on motor.Yes, plastic( OK, polymer). 270 and 280 are same saw with larger dispalcement on the 280. Want one to run.
When I was at the plant, I asked about magnesium casting. They said it was dropped because plastic took off so fast. Now I am wondering what they will think of next. We always think metal is better, but all the new technology is plastic.

Howdy Stihltech-

Does this mean that bigger saws will eventually go to this plastic case? How about those transfer ports like on the 025? You can't hardly hop those things up other than opening the intake and exhaust, and fabricating a different mufler for them.

hi,
i talked to my dealer and mailed to stihl germany.
they both said, the 270 isn´t a pro model.
it is for the homeowner sector for NOT permanent use.
In my opinion, that shows the price difference too.
later
c.

ill be holding on to my old saws for sure now.at least ill have what use to be a good saw ,when they finally die.
course the new ones could surprize us.
i cant take any credit for choosin good saws tho . the homelite blue superxl was the only used saw i could afford ,and the 028 was pay for some work. i later found out id been relatively lucky.

Will the 280 saw be considered a "homeowner or casual use" saw?
I thought it was to replace the 026 or 260?

That seems to be the question. Just an observation, I think the difference between consumer and pro saw is going to get blurred along the way, and I do not just mean bt Stihl.
I know, the 290 is junk. But, why aren't there more in my pile. The saw is going on 6 years old or so now, where are all the wearouts? 2 relatives have them, and they all still speak to me!
One runs a 20 inch bar (in hardwood) and thinks it works great.
Would I buy one, no. I love my 034. But it is doing a good job for those who own them. Yes, in my neck of the woods.
Yes, Otto, there is still a LOT of wood cut around here.

Re: 280

Originally posted by stihltech
Yes, Otto, there is still a LOT of wood cut around here.

LOL, I bet the woodcutting will last even longer with everyone using consumer models:blob2: ...sorry, LOL, couldn't help myself...

Part of the reason you dont see a lot of 029's on the junkpile is once they seize they go in the trash or get sold for parts for over $100 on ebay (not that I would do that:D )

So basically the 280 is a big bore 025?

What is the MSRP on a 270 or 280?

Quality for the dollar

Unfortunately I'm of the opinion that the 'consumer grade' Stihls are overpriced and not a good value. Although the pro line is among the best on the market, the typical homeowner would get better value from another brand rather than the odd-numbered Stihls.
About the only great Stihls left are the 020T, 026, 036, 044, 046, 066 and 088. The rest aren't much better than the box store saws.

This is kind of disappointing this plastic crankcase phenomenon...I wonder when the first pro saws will have plastic crankcases? I can only hope that its kind of the same thing as Glock was to pistols....I still have my doubts though....

I have a metal crankcase (372GXP, 051) and a plastic crankcase (136) - and a 1911 metal frames and plastic glocks. I like both but carry the Glock for the reliability and capacity. See plastic CAN be good sometimes,:D

I dont have nothing against the glocks, its just the grip doesnt fit my hand as well as my Kimber 1911 does. Besides 8 shots is enough for me. If I need more than that I got a mini 14 ranch rifle with a forty round clip.

opinion

Unlike you, I will form my opinion after I run and use it. Remember, Plastic handle bars are almost indestructible, and the future does seem to be in plastic. Will pro saws go this way? See you in 10 years with the answer.

Originally posted by bwalker
If I need more than that I got a mini 14 ranch rifle with a forty round clip.

you carry that mini14 with you everywhere? Are we off topic yet?

Back