Ms270/280

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
little 25. i dont plan on usin it,as im old fashioed an still think it was easier to just swap hands a while. will it shoot hard enough to stop a predetor. yep sure will . put holes thru both sides of a 55 gal drum. i saw that and decided thats all i need,an nobody knows its there.:) hope they never do.

bwalker
I know what you mean about the Glock's not fitting in your hands.I have fired a few and they don't fit mine either.I really never saw much use for one.I have had the 1911's for 25 plus years.The 1911's are slimmer,easier to conceal,parts an accessories are available everywhere and the triggers are a lot easier to tune.All of mine have between a 1 1/2 --2 pound trigger pull(try that with a Glock).Anything under those figures are not very reliable,at least I cant make them that way.Did you ever here a 45 go full auto,they have a unique sound.
I also have one of the Kimbers in 45 but I am not impressed with it.There fit on the moving parts is super but the one I have will not hold a candle to my old Colt NM,1967 vintage.
Are we off topic now?
Later
Dan

I guess to stay on topic,I will have to say that I cant wait to look inside of the new Stihl saws.

you carry that mini14 with you everywhere
Its always behind my seat during Coyote season and the rest of the time its in the house. BTW Kimber does make a high cap, polymer framed pistol. It has the same slide as a 1911 and uses paraordanace high cap mags.

Hmm, I have no problem with glocks, my model 22C .40 performs flawlessly and is very accurate. y uncle has a kimber 1911 which is a great gun but shoots about the same as my glock for a heck of a lot more money. But to be honest I do perfer metal like my Tarus .454 Casul Raging Bull, but that gets a little heavy to be carrying around all day. I guess the up side is that you only need one bullet as long as you hit your target.

I tend to agree with the other guys, get the 346xp and pass this stihl up. Or why not just get an 036? better yet go for the 088 you wont be disapointed.

Rob

Guys,

Too much is being made of this plastics issue. There are several man made materials (refered to as PLASTICS) today that are stronger than steel etc.

i.e.: Kevlar is 5 times stronger than steel, the same would apply to ballistic nylons.

Point is not only are these new materials of extreme high quality but they are easier to work with, handle and mold.
I would also think that the molds themselves and the machinery for molding can put these out much quicker and in a more cost efficient way.

Manufacures are trying to find ways to keep their productions costs down, lower the weights, be more fuel efficient, have cleaner exhaust emissions, be more environmentally friendly and with all of this maintain selling price levels we can afford, otherwise saws will eventually get too expensive for us to buy these new ones.

Just my 02¢ worth. :) :blob2:

Last edited:
The introduction of new materials in critical components will have long term benefit to end users. The problems, as I see them include: How does a specific material function in the field over long periods of time? With aluminum and steel, we know from decades of experience in saws and other similar applications, just what they do after thousands of days in the field, what the effects of heat and cold cycles are, what happens when they are exposed to solvents and I could go on and on. With new materials that have not been used much outside of a lab or in other similar applications, they are still unknown.
A part that has specific set of characteristics when new, (strength, dimensions, hardness) may change after repeated cycles heat or fatigue.
As I said in the beginning, the long term benefits will be great, the short term grief, I will leave up to other people to work out. There will be a learning curve and I won’t be on the bottom end of the curve. You guys that like new gadgets can do that. Make sure you post up with the problems though, I want to know what to stay away from.
:D

LOBO I,m with you on the plastic issue, If someone decided to I am sure they could build a superior plastic / composit saw with carbon fiber, epoxy resins and ceramic engine parts. BUT IT WOULD COST TOO MUCH.

The problem as with far too many things these days is the drive to build cheap disposable products. Plain an simple a lot of items are not built or intended to last, and are often not even designed to be repaired irrigardless of what there made of.

What a saw is made out of is inconsiquential, it is in how the equipment is designed, tested, and manufactured. If you by cheap equipment chances are your bying cheap research, development, low cost materials, and bulk manufacturing.

Insist on quality and the most value for your $$$, not to say I dont by disposable items, I do but only where it makes sence to me. I prefer to by quality and if I only need it a short while I sell, trade, rent, lend or give it to someone who does need it.

The bottom line is more gramatics - It's not that "the saw is cheap junk because it is made out of plastic", It's that "because the saw is cheap junk it is made out of plastic."

Timberwolf

composit saw with carbon fiber, epoxy resins and ceramic engine parts. BUT IT WOULD COST TOO MUCH.
The composites you mentioned are pretty strong as far a rigidity goes, but unlike metal parts they do not bend.They fail in a catastrophic manner. For high impact parts like the crank case on a saw that also serves as the saws underside composites just do not make sense. Add to that heat and vibration and composites become even less attractive.

Back