MS361 Big Bore Kit Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all cool.

yep...

My angst surfaces 'cos I have to make a living from installing parts... I'll pay good money for good parts, but a bad part (or worse- parts that I can't rely on as good) costs me my reputation, and maybe the customer.

BTW, you said 40% of Stihls price? The OEM 361 P&C (with nice pins ;)) is $220... so these will list for $88?

220? Dang, that has to be one of the best deals on an OEM top end out there. I wonder if that is the same here in the mid-west.

As for wrist pins and keepers, my dealer had a wrist pin catch a port on an 026 last month. So anything is possible.

yep...

My angst surfaces 'cos I have to make a living from installing parts... I'll pay good money for good parts, but a bad part (or worse- parts that I can't rely on as good) costs me my reputation, and maybe the customer.

BTW, you said 40% of Stihls price? The OEM 361 P&C (with nice pins ;)) is $220... so these will list for $88?

I totally understand. Last time I checked on the OEM 361 P&C was more than a year ago. I thought I remembered it being about $300. I bought a brand new take off for $200 when I needed one.

Stihl has screwed up their pricing. A year ago the East Coast was $212, and the West $300.. It was cheaper for me to buy a cylinder from a friendly Eastern dealer and pay some markup, than to buy from StihlNW. They fixed that.. It's now pretty much standard across the USA.

Also... they sell a tiny number of 361 kits. We sell a 361 at least every week, sometime more, and have only ever replaced one... that cracked (loose base bolts). And we servive a far wider area then we sell... Some of the 361 I service are so beat it's incredible they still run, but they do. One tough saw.

Last edited:
Okay,the 361 BB kit is cheaper than buying OEM. That's mainly because the quality isn't quite as good, right?

So...how does that affect longevity? Most of the guys running 361s are in it for the long haul. Will the BB kit hold up?

I guess we'll know in 2011, or maybe 2030 for most homeowner AS guys;)

OEM -2500-3000 hours plus...

For half price can you can get a 1000? hmmmm :confused: I have no idea.. just stirring, but not impressed with any other than Tecomec I've has to fix from the past.

Last edited:
What is so different about the cylinder, comparing to an 036? Looks the same. Diff stroke? Sure would be nice to bolt that kit on a 034 Super.

Bore and stroke for 034S and 036 is 48mm X 34mm. What does the 361 have? How about cyl mount holes and case bore? The wheels are spinning in my peanut brain. LOL

Back