MS361 Big Bore Kit Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know. Probably not. I have 2 361s and they'll probably still be chugging along after I'm gone. The older one has quite a few hours on it and the compression is still very good.

What kind of gains in performance are we talking here? Or is just a matter of price between the BB and OEM?

OEM is $220... yes... how cheap will this kit be?

Gains will be interesting... The 361 carb barely keeps up with a stock cylinder.

My not-so HO.. The BB will obviously need muffler mods, maybe carb mods etc to show respectable gains. This restricts it to the realm of AS and AS-like members... In case anyone thinks everyone does mufflers.. the ONLY 361 muffler mod I've ever seen around here are mine... and 99% PLUS of all pro saws that come though the store are stock.

So Brad - do you need stock cylinder, muffler and base gaket to compare the BB kit too? I'm sure I can round one up..

So Brad - do you need stock cylinder, muffler and base gaket to compare the BB kit too? I'm sure I can round one up..

I appreciate the offer Andy. I think there are enough 361s around though that I won't have to break mine down again to get a stock comparison. I'll take my 10" Poplar test log to a GTG and run a stock one in the same wood.

I hear what you're saying about the skirt hitting. You would have thought that would have been a top priority.

Made in Taiwan from Grande Dog himself in another thread.

Same diff to me... and many Taiwan companies now outsource rough work (like castings) to China... China can make work class finished products, if the USA puchaser sets the engineering specs, and enforces the appropriate QA/QC... Few do - hence Harbor Freight, Grizzley, Foremost, Northern too etc etc..

What keeps these guys in business? We do.. but that's all been thrashed out in other threads...

Same diff to me... and many Taiwan companies now outsource rough work (like castings) to China... China can make work class finished products, if the USA puchaser sets the engineering specs, and enforces the appropriate QA/QC... Few do - hence Harbor Freight, Grizzley, Foremost, Northern too etc etc..

What keeps these guys in business? We do.. but that's all been thrashed out in other threads...

Yep Taiwan=China to me too, but that has been discussed before. :deadhorse:

I appreciate the offer Andy. I think there are enough 361s around though that I won't have to break mine down again to get a stock comparison. I'll take my 10" Poplar test log to a GTG and run a stock one in the same wood.

I hear what you're saying about the skirt hitting. You would have thought that would have been a top priority.

So.. yours will be stock too? with gasket, no muffler mod etc... O.K. ;) silly question, but level playing fields are nice - much easier to compare than expanatory texts.

Skirt hitting yep.. But the oval cylinder/piston is a bigger concern... Prototype or not, it shows a real lack of QC. When I sent out a prototype part (past life..) I made damn sure it was as perfect as it could be, and any defects were listed. Whether your particular sample runs or not isn't totally relevent in the bigger picture.

Last edited:
Waaaaatt!? You no like our piston and cywenders?

No noodle for you!!

images

We're getting a little off topic:cheers:

I blame the drunk biologist... :monkey:

Seriously though, once you R&D this thing for them, is Bailey's gonna fix what you say is wrong? Or if you see an area for gains, add or take away from it? i.e. different piston casting.

Back