My hard to start but does start STIHL 211

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first words i hear when a saw comes in the shop that won't start."I run non ethanol fuel!. I proceed to dump the saw out into my glass quart jar. Over 50% of the time there will be a good amount of water in the jar. Yes I get very cynical when I hear that statement. Had three in the last two days.
Some of it was old. Some of it was one day old. Did it come from the pump or in the fuel can?
The other issue is tru fuel. Three in the last week that would not start until I put the shop fresh mix in them. Problem solved.
So when I here my fuel is good- prove it.

I get quite a few that start first or second pull. Just flooded. But, they have been sitting a few days. Have to go close the shop door to keep from stinking the whole store up.

Matter of fact, all and all, the vast majority of "won`t" start saws are flooded.

I see on Stihl's website that currently the MS211 comes with the Elasto start pull cord as standard fitment. A few months ago i added one to my ms251. Works great View attachment 1206642
Sadly mine did not include it but along with it STIHL should include a DEComb release like my ms 261 has, i can deal with the standard STIHL cord handle as i always ware gloves.

Received a message from STIHL support in regards to my ms211 being hard to start.
There answer is fo me to take my STIHL ms211 to my STIHL Dealer and have them address the problem.

Problem is mySTIHL Dealer's Service Dept. deals with mostly lawn mowers and lawn care products, the only chainsaws they deal with are home owners not people really using their saw a lot.

If my STIHL Dealer was servicing loggers who use their saws a lot, they would have workers who really understood chainsaws and i would be getting some real help with the problem.

Since i don't use my cm211 a lot it's not a major problem it just piss's me off that when i want to use it i have to spend an hour yanking the starter cord getting it to start.

If i have something i realy need a saw for i use my STIHL cm261 it always starts quickly.

That is a homeowner saw. If it has been sitting for even an hour start it all the way in the choke position until you hear it pop. One time. Then take it off full choke and pull it a couple of times until it starts.

You can't start them in the non full choke position if they have been sitting for even a short period of time.

Once you hear the pop take it off full choke because if you get it flooded it will never start until it dries out.

If your saw does not work that way then you indeed have an issue.

To be frank, which pisses about everybody off, it is usually operator error.

So...we've mentioned the "pop" a few times in this thread, which applies to a lot of threads...thats something that you would think is commonly discernable...but...to hear it, know it, and know what to do next, is far too often, chukerin about in the grey zone...

Latest posts

Back