My Splitter Build (heavy on photos)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That joint where the beams meet looks like a weak spot to me - can kind of picture it folding right at the welds. I'm no metal worker though, by any streatch - so might be good.

nice work! just as a side note, i actually have a K car axle under my trailer i built 15 years ago or so. i had a rim that was bent so i went to get another, K cars don’t exist in the yards around me anymore. i was pleasantly surprised that Saturn rims fit right up though, that should buy me a few more years of parts availibility.

That joint where the beams meet looks like a weak spot to me - can kind of picture it folding right at the welds. I'm no metal worker though, by any streatch - so might be good.
What you can't see is the doublers that I put on the tension side of the beam. I will pay attention to this area when I start splitting to see if any diagonal braces or boxing in is needed.

JT

beam-18.jpg

The splitter is nice, but that shop has me coveting, which Scripture tell me I shouldn't do. That shop is a dream world for me. And the canon, love it.

Nothing better to do than to cut and weld steel ? Work of art right there. I was thinking of using a vertical motor for my next one since they can usually be had cheaper and get bigger HP

Nothing better to do than to cut and weld steel ? Work of art right there. I was thinking of using a vertical motor for my next one since they can usually be had cheaper and get bigger HP

Well metal working is fun to me... and I used the Intek because I had 3 new ones left over from building a primer testing machine for Briggs and Stratton. The machine was very near the end of the final assembly line so the test motors were complete. Usually I only get partial motors for testing.

JT

I finally got back on this project and started fabricating the hydraulic tank.

hydraulic-tank-01.jpg

I have 6" between the pump and the tank. Is that too short for the suction line? My other option is to make a 180 degree loop from the pump to the tank front which makes some sense to me now that I think of it.

hydraulic-tank-02.jpg

Thanks
JT

It looks like with the suction line exiting the tank at the rear corner it will give you more room to put a shut off valve and assemble fittings.With the suction at the rear the line will be better protected in transit but more difficult to service. Where you have to place the return may need to be considered.

Looking real good so far.

Do you normally have a shut off valve on the suction line? I assume some kind of baffle between the return hole to break up the flow?

JT

I have 11" of suction line and I wish it was longer so I could have put in a shut off. It would have been nice for servicing as I had to drain the system to fix a leak. One thing to consider is that with the line that short it makes it difficult to get the line on, I can barely get mine on.
dave

Back