Starting the splitter build.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What size cylinder will I need ton wise just personal use?
It depends on how narrow you make your wedge. If you design your splitter after a Tractor Supply splitter, you'll need at least 4" of inner diameter on your splitter. If you design it with a narrower wedge and a more efficient log stop design, 3" would suffice. Have a look at this website for ideas. They sell log splitters with even smaller cylinder diameters that split some pretty tough stuff! Remember, smaller cylinder= faster cycle time.

Most splitters use low efficiency/high power to function, wheres you might be smarter to chase the high efficiency/low power path to save on fuel and initial costs of the splitter.

On that note. Do not design your splitters hydraulic system with any sharp 90 degree turns. This will heat up your hydraulic oil faster, and it will slow down the cycle time of your machine. It will also increase the wear on your hydraulic components.

Your linked website doesn't show any specifications for cylinder size, flow rate , or system pressure. The "click here for specs" hyper link didn't work for me on the phone or lap top.
Wedge and overall machine design looks the same as just about every other mfg out there. Nothing stuck out as special or unique.
Wedge design has as much to do with intended purpose of the machine as anything, those narrow wedges do not work for all circumstances, and don't mean an Increase in efficiency. Wedges with a wider profile do not make them less efficient, or mean you need a larger cylinder to utilize them. There's much more to consider when building a splitter. Ie, pump flow, max pressure, length of wood, species of wood, multi split capability, cost, etc.
Yep, 90* fittings suck. Usually used when nessisary. Proper hose and fitting sizing alleviates some if that issue, most splitters use comically small hoses to save on cost. It all goes hand in hand.

Well finally finished and test run today pretty good so far my son and me split that on a tank of gas I thought pretty good thanks for all the help and info will split some more tomorrow and see then time to paint already weld rust spots
View attachment IMG_1003.mov

Attachments

• IMG_1009.jpeg
    IMG_1009.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1002.mov
    15 MB
  • IMG_0999.jpeg
    IMG_0999.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Back