New 70cc Class Stihl.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realize that but how long have these types of saws been out? I also realize that everything is going to be controlled by electronics and I for one, do not like it. It just makes things more complicated for the people that work on them.

I can't answer that adequately, as I am not a sawhop, and I have not kept track of when exactly these first went up for sale, etc. . You would have to ask those guys how many mtronic saws they get back in for warranty work, and how that compares with years previously and plain ole carb models.

461 has the most power and 441 is the smoothest. The 044 is the lightest and best handling.
That about sums it up; take into account your situation and pick one. In my case, I couldn't afford new and am 64, 5'10" and 156 lbs, and would be using it 4-6 hrs in a day max. Also wanted a decomp valve. Bingo: a couple of used MS440's. Couldn't be happier with them; they're dependable, easy to start, relatively light, handle well, and have plenty of power. A Husky 372xp would also have filled the bill nicely. Dealer support for Stihl and Husky is strong in my area. Dolmars are supported, but no one around here uses them.

I gave 100 bucks for my 044, put a new 20" bar and chain on it and haven't had to do anything else to it besides fill it with oil and gas and sharpen the chain. I have a side job selling firewood and this old saw has paid for itself many times over now. I don't know much about "side balance" or can really compare it to many other saws besides a few other I own, it its been dead realiable and has cut every log or stick of wood I've layed it in...

I realize that but how long have these types of saws been out? I also realize that everything is going to be controlled by electronics and I for one, do not like it. It just makes things more complicated for the people that work on them.

I work on saws everyday being part of a Stihl/Echo/Shinny dealership and in my opinion you just don't have to worry about the Mtronics, we prolly have between 30 and 40 of them out, the vast majority are the 441CM's and most are in the hands of oak and walnut loggers. We have yet to have had one come in with any issues. The Amish just beat the he!! out of their saws and we've had several convert from 576's to 441CM's. This is not new technology, it has been around for several years in different configurations.
Hard to work on not hardly, just plug the cable in the diagnostic port, hook one cable on the plug and stick the other in the sparkplug boot and it connects to the computer by bluetooth, it walks you thru an idiot proof menu. There is also a manual reset sequence as well for the end user if he wishes to reset the saw. The computer controlling all the fuel parameters is something I like, compensates for clogged filters, humidity, altitude,quality of fuel etc. It keeps folks off the carb screws, we have to deal with less home tuners that believe the faster the run the better, we're to the point we remove the little screwdrivers that come with the saw, just trying to protect the average Joe from his/herself.
Our M-tronic has been run for over a year in a moderate sized firewood operation the boys run and it's prolly over the 100 cord mark easily and no issues.
I have two "normal carb" MS261's and just treated myself to a new 261CM last night. Whether it be Stihl or Husky electronically controlled saws are here to stay and are the future.
Four or five years ago on here the hottest topic was whether or not Strato saws would be worth a crap, look were we are, Strat's have taken the market, largely due to the EPA, but they sure haven't hurt performance either.

440 chassis is my favorite go to saw ,hopped up with an early 10mm cylinder or a 460 cyl is hard to beat

I have a great Stihl dealer less than 10 miles from my house, always has the things in stock that I want.
It's a Stihl, they don't need many parts.
Both of my saws have need nothing except chains, still running the original bars, 6 years and counting.

I used to sell auto/ truck/ and non-road- Parts, plus I built Hyd Hoses. I had sev logger customers. One, a longtime customer of mine, was a Husky 272 guy and when they went to the 371 he was so pissed he tried a StiHl 044/440. He naturally hated the thing, and broke no telling how many tank/rear-handles--- always at the same spot--- a place I call the "fuse".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STIHL-CHAIN...088?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5404054ce0

I always think of him when I see these.

If a MS440 was 6oz lighter, had the displacement of a 460, and had quad ports, It just might be the perfect saw.

What's 6oz? Half a beer.

I'm looking at picking up a new to me 70cc class saw. I own mostly huskie but would like to give Stihl a shot also. So my question, which 70cc Stihl do you prefer? 044, 046, 440, 441, 460? I realize that whatever I end up with I will be happy but I would like to hear your opinion.

Andrew

I have an old 10 mm 044, had a pre M-Tronic 441 and my brother has a MS 460. The 460 has more torque, but I am hearing really good things about the M-Tronic 441. If it does for that saw what it did for my M-Tronic 362, you will love it. All the 441s have the new AV system, but are a little bulkier than the other saws. However, contrary to published information the 441 does not weigh more than the MS 440 or 044 (I have a scale).

The only major difference between my 044 and my 441 was the 441 had compression relief and usually started on 3 pulls. The 044 does not have compression relief and usually takes 6 or 7 pulls to start, but in 20 years, it always started.

The older (10 mm) 044s are said to run a little stronger than the later ones and the MS 440s, but I'm sure it is not much different. My pre M-Tronic 441 and 044 cut the same, both very good. With a 20" bar, you don't need more saw. If you are going more than 20" the new 441 C-M or 460 or 461 may be the way to go.

The Stihl 044/MS 440 has been compared to the Husky 372 like Ford is compared to Chevy. They are both great saws.

Bottom line is if you find any of them in good shape for a good price you will have yourself a good saw.

If a MS440 was 6oz lighter, had the displacement of a 460, and had quad ports, It just might be the perfect saw.
A 044/440 with a 046/460 is indeed close to the perfect saw.

IMG_0704-M.jpg

IMG_0702-M.jpg

I've never built a 44/46 hybrid. I might have to try it if I get a 44 case.

You really should!

I was going to this last time but the case was a 046 so I went ahead and built it. If I could find a 12mm 44 needing a top end I'd be set. I could pull the topend off of this one and then wait on a 46 top end to come along to put back on there.

I started with a brand new 440, found after they were discontinued the first time. I then bought a NOS Mahle topend with D-shaped CC off Ebay. It wasn't cheap, but it's a saw I plan to keep.

I've only got one saw here right now that didn't come out of a box of parts. I trade on them too much to spend that much on one. I've got an 088 coming tomorrow that I need to buy bars and chains for.

I remember when you got it. I bought one and had traded for another when they were discontinued. I sold both off. Walexa has one of them and I can't remember the guys name that has the other one.

440 is a bomb proof saw hard to contest that. 461 a monster and better if ported. 441 CMR is outstanding. If you are used to a a big old style saw it will feel so different . That isnt bad. But is it nice when 99% of the time it starts in 1 pull even when 10 deg f. And then, this is when it really gets great, run it for a 10 hour day and still be able to use your fingers and not feel like rigamortis set into your hands, it's a super smooth saw with gobs of power. I cut mostly wood under 20" so a 441 is overkill. 441 feels like a ms361 with lots more power and starts up with with 1 pull. I always grin when I fire up my 441 and look at my brother yanking on his 440

Back