New saw (possibly) 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firewood

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys, With all the luck, I'm going to look at a 2015 346xp on Monday, apparently the saw has had a new hyway jug and cylinder fitted,

So my questions are
1. What should I look out for in terms of the new jug and cylinder fitted?
2. Is there anything major to look for with these saws?
3. Anything thing I've found on these forums has been utter praise for the 346, so I want to be careful and not buy a lemon, so I guess I'm looking for advice,
4. If anyone has any tips or tricks with regard to buying a new saw I sure would appreciate the comments
5. So far I have,
Check the fuel tank,
Check the spark plug and have a look into the cylinder
Check for all the av springs are working and present
Check the oiler is working as it should
If there is anything missing please feel free to comment

I will thank you in advance,
Colm

I'd ask if they still have the original cylinder... thats where most of the magic that makes the 346 what it is resides.
I'd also ask who did the jug on it, why it was replaced, what other parts were replaced, if it got vac & pressure tested, & if there is any warranty on the work.
Asides from that inspecting the piston through the exhaust port is good if you can... failing that, do a compression test.
None of this or what you are planning on doing is likely to tell you if the repair will last. Knowing it's passed a vac & pressure test will go a long way towards having confidence in the repair though

How much are they asking for the saw ? Got any pics?

That Hyway cylinder won’t run like the original cylinder. If it’s in decent shape and runs ok and the you are happy with the price, go ahead and buy it! They are super easy to work on. Look and see if the decal on the recoil says e-tech or of the gas cap is green. If so it’s for a catalytic muffler, but that is easily swapped out for a standard empty can muffler

I'd ask if they still have the original cylinder... thats where most of the magic that makes the 346 what it is resides.
I'd also ask who did the jug on it, why it was replaced, what other parts were replaced, if it got vac & pressure tested, & if there is any warranty on the work.
Asides from that inspecting the piston through the exhaust port is good if you can... failing that, do a compression test.
None of this or what you are planning on doing is likely to tell you if the repair will last. Knowing it's passed a vac & pressure test will go a long way towards having confidence in the repair though
Hi JD, what magic is this you speak of! Lol I joke, is it the fact the husqvarna cycllinder is a better job rather than the spurious?

And yes I will be asking that no doubt, I have a good few questions, and why it was replaced,

In your opinion would there be much point in replacing just the piston or cylinder or is it best off to change both at the one time?

I'll query the vac and pressure test also,
Thanks so much for your input buddy

How much are they asking for the saw ? Got any pics?

That Hyway cylinder won’t run like the original cylinder. If it’s in decent shape and runs ok and the you are happy with the price, go ahead and buy it! They are super easy to work on. Look and see if the decal on the recoil says e-tech or of the gas cap is green. If so it’s for a catalytic muffler, but that is easily swapped out for a standard empty can muffler
Hey Slowcar281, how did you come by that name?

Seen as its in Ireland the requested price is Euro430 so about Usd 465 give or take,

When you say won't run like the original in which way? Not as high revving or lack of torque perhaps?

I have no pics sadly as the forsale ad has been taken down, if I do buy the saw however I will post all and any pics!

I will keep an eye out for the fuel cap and exhaust
once again thanks for your input

If it has a AM cylinder it's not a 346xp IMO. I would only buy it if it's really clean and priced such that I could trash can the AM cylinder and replace with OEM.
The other thing is a AM cylinder is a huge red flag. In my cases the saw seized and the owner slapped a AM cylinder on without determining why it seized.
I would be very cautious.

If it has a AM cylinder it's not a 346xp IMO. I would only buy it if it's really clean and priced such that I could trash can the AM cylinder and replace with OEM.
The other thing is a AM cylinder is a huge red flag. In my cases the saw seized and the owner slapped a AM cylinder on without determining why it seized.
I would be very cautious.
Hey Dude, presuming you mean aftermarket?

Finding an oem cylinder and piston isn't as easy here!

And Thanks for your input

If Crown Vics are rare there, then I bet you hardly ever see these, I hardly ever see them here. Flew to Indiana from Virginia to get it. 2004 Mercury Marauder.

Back to the saw, lol. Those aftermarket cylinders may not even reach the recommended 14,200 rpm’s that those saws run, and they never have the power that the oem cylinder has. I’ve had 2 of the OE 346’s. Still have one. It’s an e-tech model but I ditched the cat muffler a long time ago

Attachments

• IMG_1765.jpeg
    IMG_1765.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Find an unmolested 353 or 2152. Build it into a real 346 or 2153. Or not, cause they are awesome as is, and not so prone to bogging in the slightest pinch...

I wouldn't touch a molested top-performing saw, without personally knowing the history.

That 346 is not a 346 anymore, as has been stated here already.

Find an unmolested 353 or 2152. Build it into a real 346 or 2153. Or not, cause they are awesome as is, and not so prone to bogging in the slightest pinch...

I wouldn't touch a molested top-performing saw, without personally knowing the history.

Never had an issue with a 346 bogging easily. Had much more torque than a ms260.

If Crown Vics are rare there, then I bet you hardly ever see these, I hardly ever see them here. Flew to Indiana from Virginia to get it. 2004 Mercury Marauder.

Back to the saw, lol. Those aftermarket cylinders may not even reach the recommended 14,200 rpm’s that those saws run, and they never have the power that the oem cylinder has. I’ve had 2 of the OE 346’s. Still have one. It’s an e-tech model but I ditched the cat muffler a long time ago
We see more Classic Mercurys than anything remotely modern, Bbr has a solid mercury pick up he worked with essential craftsman on it in recent videos, its a good watch,

And yes the saw, you guys have me doubting pulling the trigger now, I reckon its worth a look if nothing else, Does anyone know how much an oem jug runs for a 346? Perhaps a fresher piston also depending on how the saw is when I go to look,

Hello Buddy, Very few of those saws in Ireland I'm afraid, And if im not mistaken most saws will bog in a pinch? If you cut into a compressed/tensioned log at the wrong point surely any saw will pinch?

I think if nothing the saw is worth a look depending on money and such ill make a decision then, plus I haven't met this guy before he could be a bogey he could have phenomenal knowledge of saws, we will see monday

But hey thanks for your input, I get what you mean about it not being a 346 if the chassis is good and I can find a oem jug it will be amazing once again

For Ireland and the timber you are likely to be cutting- a 346XP be it topend swapped or not is going to be pretty ideal.
Asking price of $772 of my dollars is a bit more than I would fork out for an original one- but good saws are not under every stone or growing on trees over there- your money, your call- just go over it really well and look for obvious rough/damaged and worn bits.

Back