New to me 031AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mine was like that. I had to replace the fuel lien in the tank....

i tried that too. i rebuilt the carb 3 times and tried a different one too,so i know that aint it. i hate it when i can't figure something out!haha , i think it might be sucking air somewhere.

i tried that too. i rebuilt the carb 3 times and tried a different one too,so i know that aint it. i hate it when i can't figure something out!haha , i think it might be sucking air somewhere.

when you put a fuel line in the tank, did you have to take it apart and replace the gasket? i kind of cheated cause i didn't have the gasket for it. just curious?

when you put a fuel line in the tank, did you have to take it apart and replace the gasket? i kind of cheated cause i didn't have the gasket for it. just curious?

Nope it came out the top..

O and WELCOME to the club....

thanks man! i just started my own saw shop out of my garage, it seems to be going pretty well , but every once in awhile i have questions, this seems like a good place to get some answers. i got a website also, its www.thejedshed.com feel free to check it out, let me know what you think.

Nice site and the Mac 15 is SWEET....Got a kick out of the tree on the truck too...

And since this is my thread and I don't mind hijacking it check out my little holster hobby...

So will I be able to get the oilier gasket 1117-649-1100 from the dealer???

There are two style oilers for the 031. I do believe the dealer still has them both. I got one not too long ago from my local dealer.

Did you have the bottom end all apart before or did you just have the cylinder off? If you didn't have it apart, it's possible that the case gasket is leaky as well. The Stihl dealer still had those as well. They however do NOT have the tank gasket or the cylinder gasket...at least my local one didn't/couldn't get them. Had to find mine on ebay.

A little update..

I went to the dealer yesterday and picked up the gasket..$1.04 out the door..So now I have $31.04 in this saw...The gasket did the trick no more oil leak. One thing for sure I have never seen a Stihl throw as much oil as this thing does... I went out just now to run it by the shop to get the carb tuned but it was closed. I forgot they close early on Wednesday...I don't think it needs to much it idles fine and starts on the second pull from dead cold...I guess b1rdman did a good job on the carb rebuild...

Any tips on breaking in this thing...Proper way to seat the rings???

Another update......

Got to the dealer yesterday so I could get the carb set...I had not cranked it in a day or two and it fired off on the 3rd pull......He set the idle so the chain creeps around very slowly...Now at this point he starts in with flipping it sideways and pointing it up and down. We both noticed a ever so slight stumble in the idle as this was going on.Very slight mind you but it is there...So he tells me there is a slight vacuum leak and that it is so miner not to bother looking for it.....Does this sound right or should I be concerned???

Now why wont the chain stay tight on this thing?????? Is there a secret???

Last edited:
Hm, that sounds a bit odd. If the idle drops or almost stalls out when you tip it on its side, that's often a sign of the saw getting too much fuel at idle - the excess can puddle in the bottom of the crankcase when sitting upright, and then drain into the transfers & cylinder when it's tipped on its side, flooding it. An air leak will generally cause the idle to race since leaks cause a lean condition, not rich. It is possible though; I definitely don't have enough experience to argue with a Stihl tech. I will disagree a bit with his point about not bothering to find the leak. It may be minor, but it could (and likely will) get worse eventually, and if you don't notice it in time it could roast your piston. You could at least replace the cheap and easy stuff like fuel/impulse lines and the carb gasket (though I can't remember if my 031 had one or not) since those solve most leak problems. You were also asking about a new rubber intake boot earlier, weren't you? Those can be problematic too, might want to check that out just in case.

this is a good thread.

ive been growing pretty fond of these old saws lately. monday im pickn up a 056 and maybe 045 and 031 none of them run. all decent looking saws.

anyways thanks

Evan

Hm, that sounds a bit odd. If the idle drops or almost stalls out when you tip it on its side, that's often a sign of the saw getting too much fuel at idle - the excess can puddle in the bottom of the crankcase when sitting upright, and then drain into the transfers & cylinder when it's tipped on its side, flooding it. An air leak will generally cause the idle to race since leaks cause a lean condition, not rich. It is possible though; I definitely don't have enough experience to argue with a Stihl tech. I will disagree a bit with his point about not bothering to find the leak. It may be minor, but it could (and likely will) get worse eventually, and if you don't notice it in time it could roast your piston. You could at least replace the cheap and easy stuff like fuel/impulse lines and the carb gasket (though I can't remember if my 031 had one or not) since those solve most leak problems. You were also asking about a new rubber intake boot earlier, weren't you? Those can be problematic too, might want to check that out just in case.

First we have to use the term Stihl tech loosely around here...He is a GREAT guy and helps me a lot!!!!! BUT I don't know what training he has...He tuned the carb on my 290 after the muffler mod and the saw has been better then ever but when he set the carb it did the same thing and he told me the same thing it had a vacuum leak....Now I have run the crap out of that saw with no problems and when he told me the same about the 031 I kinda dismissed it as well....But I can do a impulse line cheap enough and I don't see a carb gasket listed on the parts list....As for the rubber boot nope that was not me. Mine looks fine almost new and is soft and shiny :)

this is a good thread.

ive been growing pretty fond of these old saws lately. monday im pickn up a 056 and maybe 045 and 031 none of them run. all decent looking saws.

anyways thanks

Evan

I agree!!! I have learned a lot too...Got a cool old saw along the way...Around here the old loggers are still running these ole girls...The 41 it still in the woods everyday...O and the 38's as well...

I would like to say thanks to all for your help and input on this!!!!!! Now if I can only talk my FIL to give me that old 038 super that needs bearings maybe I can learn more :cheers:

I'm back and needing more help...

I finally got to try this thing out yesterday..Nothing much just ran a tank out..Kinda cool as you feel the saw get a little stronger as you run it and the rings start to seat...

Anyway for the bad,,,,,

It fires off and runs at idle fine but seems to have trouble when I give it gas will just stall...Not always once this happens I just lock the throttle give it a pull and it is fine..Then around a half tank it started to stall when I pointed the tip towards the ground again not always but it did it twice...

My dealer can't pressure test it they want to start with bearings and seals and go from there...

Does this sound like a air leak or maybe a carb problem???

Yes fresh gas, new plug too....

Thanks...

I'm back and needing more help...

I finally got to try this thing out yesterday..Nothing much just ran a tank out..Kinda cool as you feel the saw get a little stronger as you run it and the rings start to seat...

Anyway for the bad,,,,,

It fires off and runs at idle fine but seems to have trouble when I give it gas will just stall...Not always once this happens I just lock the throttle give it a pull and it is fine..Then around a half tank it started to stall when I pointed the tip towards the ground again not always but it did it twice...

My dealer can't pressure test it they want to start with bearings and seals and go from there...

Does this sound like a air leak or maybe a carb problem???

Yes fresh gas, new plug too....

Thanks...

Have you got the saw to run? I had what I thought was a similar problem and it seemed to resolve itself with the carb tightened down a little further and some adjustments on the H and L screws from what factory said. I have the link to my thread if you want.

-K5

Latest posts

Back