Newbie wedge question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am far from perfect, I have cut off my holding wood as well, and put a tree across a three phase powerline because of that error, and more, over the years, and not just with chainsaws..... Whatever works for you T.H., just don't b.s. about falling here, it ain't gonna work.

Nobody is perfect, I have got the saw in a pinch a couple of times, because I made short-cuts on side-leaners on a steep slope (didn't care to use the wedges) - and I believe most of us has done similar mistakes......:bang: :bang:

Btw, one of the trees went downhill, not where I wanted it,
when I cut the saw out with an axe....:sucks:
- I was really sloppy that day, and didn't bring another bar or saw either.

Btw, the other trees on that ridge went the right way, thanks to triangular holding wood - they all leaned downhill, but landed on the ridge, 90 degrees or more off natural fall direction....

Last edited:
There are two kinds of chain saw operators...Those that have got a saw stuck...and those that will get a saw stuck...

I have never gotten a saw stuck. Sometimes they are unpleasantly situated in an objectionable predicament for a while. But never stuck!:monkey:

In fact, I haven't had this happen since, Oh, a couple of days ago.

I am far from perfect, I have cut off my holding wood as well, and put a tree across a three phase powerline because of that error, and more, over the years, and not just with chainsaws..... Whatever works for you T.H., just don't b.s. about falling here, it ain't gonna work.

Yup...we all make mistakes. I'm not even going to start listing all the trees I've had that really made me wish I'd stayed home that day. Not enough space.
But...most of us can take the ribbing, or advice on how to to it better, or explain why we did something without falling back on that "I'm the owner and the boss so I must be right" garbage.
I really don't give a damn how TH drops his trees. I made a couple of jokes at his expense, mostly to lighten things up a little and let him see that nobody was taking this too seriously. Oh well...

I have never gotten a saw stuck. Sometimes they are unpleasantly situated in an objectionable predicament for a while. But never stuck!:monkey:

LOL...I'm going to add that to my excuse file..."My saw isn't hung up...it's just unpleasantly situated. Again".

I agree! Mine have never been stuck either. There have been a few times when the saw I was using at the moment decided that it was time for a break right in the middle of a cut. Then there was the time one of my saws wanted to spend the night camping out under the stars while I went on home. :D

I honestly hate to tell on myself

I was cutting firewood after the loggers went through. They broke the top off a 15"DBH cherry tree. So I figured I would go ahead and fall it and buck it up. It was only about 10-12 feet tall had a limb split off to one side and had a big limb out of a black walnut tying it the other direction.. I eyeballed it.. made my notch then plunged through and cut my way out. Bugger just stood there.. so I though cut some of the hinge out. so I put the saw back in behind the hinge made a bit of a cut and boom it dropped straight down on the saw.,. No wedges with me.. so I Unbolted the bar and put the 24 inch on it.. Looked it over some and decided to just buck a 20 inch piece off from above the stuck bar.(thinking maybe it would kick out Remember it was just a stub with a limb and a snag). so I proceeded to cut a 20 inch piece out of it.. and bam it again sat down on my saw.. so here I am a saw and a bar stuck in this darned tree when my father comes driving around the field.. I just stood and smiled.. Darned tree was starting to look like a porcupine.. So I unbolted the PH and left bar number two in there and grabbed the branch and pulled tree over by hand.. Why did I not do that after bar number one? I have not a clue..LOL I needed a wedge..huh?
When the loggers were logging the woods for us the sawyer cut a maple and it hung up.vertical..he said I will go get some wedges.. We were close to the truck. So he walks up the hill about 35 feet and sits his saw down on a stump and proceeds to start sharpening his chain.. I called him a a few names and said hey.. You left that tree standing with barely a hinge.If it falls it is going to land on your DA.. He looked at me like I had just saved his life and said" I was not thinking" well duh.. We went back and banged three wedges in and fell it on target.

Last edited:
:clap: Hey John...that one goes on my list, too. And how about "I left the saw stuck in the tree so I'd know where to start tomorrow morning"?

Hey, that's what my neighbor does, eventually, in a few months, after the bar is rusted, etc.... (I think there may be at least one on his place now, seasoning in a tree somewhere.

clue..LOL I needed a wedge..huh?
When the loggers were logging the woods for us the sawyer cut a maple and it hung up.vertical..he said I will go get some wedges.. We were close to the truck. So he walks up the hill about 35 feet and sits his saw down on a stump and proceeds to start sharpening his chain.. I called him a a few names and said hey.. You left that tree standing with barely a hinge.If it falls it is going to land on your DA.. He looked at me like I had just saved his life and said" I was not thinking" well duh.. We went back and banged three wedges in and fell it on target.

:D Are you sure that was'nt an arborist instead of a logger?

When I first started this project (3 yrs. ago) I used a come-along and snatchum straps to get those south leaners going north. I spent as much time clearing away brush for my escape route as I did cutting the tree. Also used this method to get my saw out of several objectionable predicaments. Then I discovered wedges. :clap: Still get a few "anti theft" moments but can usually whack those wedges in and extract the saw before any harm is done. Has anyone gotten there wedges stuck? :confused: I had 3 stuck for a couple days until I could get the 933 down to the tree to push it over. Why didn't I use the come-along??? Lazy. I knew I'd work my way down to that tree and get the 933 in there.

BTW Wood_Newbie Did you ever get your answer as to what assortment of wedges to use? Certainly enough opinions and methods here.

Just my 2 cents

I normally cut fairly small trees, around 20" in diameter, and a 5" or 8" wedges work good. If you use too big of a wedge, you don't have enough room for the bar, and you chew up the wedge like everyone else says.

The picture below shows the profile of a few different wedge types. From top to bottom:

Top: Single taper 10" (cheapo)
Middle: Double Taper 8" (cheapo)
Bottom: K&H Triple taper 10" (good wedge - note staggered angles.)

The K&H triple taper is a good wedge for a larger trees (30"+). It's made to go in really easily with its thin leading edge like a single taper, then graduates to a bigger angle to avoid having to stack wedges. Supposedly you can put them back to back and stack them, but I've never tried it.

attachment.php

Timberhauler, The origianal post was a request for information about falling trees with wedges.
I don't do this part time or as a hobby. I do both contract falling and residential tree removal. (no I don't claim to be an arborist-I don't know enough about pruning or treating trees). Next week I have a side leaner growing through the deck, dead with conks, that I am going to pull and use a guy rope in, and jump it past the porch rail and the chain link fence below.
There is most definiatly a place for a pull line, even in the deepest, darkest woods. It might even be a one inch swedged steal cable hooked to a D-8 or a yarder.
Sawtroll, in spite of what the books say, the best holding wood is often near the center of the tree and a deep face (notch) often makes a tree easier to pull.
Clearance, That dutchman is what made his tree jump.

Joe-Thats not what he thinks, read his post, may well be what happened though. Also, you are a faller, not an arborist pretending to be faller, seen that, you would be the guy I would call, I mean if I didn't have half a clue myself. Enginenerd- you can put in your back cut in first, set a wedge and then put in your undercut on skinny trees.

Clearance,

Don't you risk pinching your saw in the undercut?

No, I mean you don't pound the snot out of the wedge, you just put it in by hand and a little tap, maybe. What you really have to be carefull of is that you don't cut off your holding wood. You are using a wedge 'cause its not going over on its own, therefore the natural force of the tree will be away from your undercut. Try this method out where it doesn't really matter.

I have never gotten a saw stuck. Sometimes they are unpleasantly situated in an objectionable predicament for a while.

Mine have never been stuck either. There have been a few times when the saw I was using at the moment decided that it was time for a break right in the middle of a cut. Then there was the time one of my saws wanted to spend the night camping out under the stars while I went on home.

Mine never get stuck, they are placed in an anti-theft position.

"I left the saw stuck in the tree so I'd know where to start tomorrow morning"

I've been laughing out loud literally for like two minutes now, and I think I just pulled a lung.

Last edited:
Clearance,

Unfortunately, I've misjudged lean on more than one occasion. Getting a saw stuck is really a drag, and damages the ego when others are watching!

Newbie,

Thanks for the humor! I like the "anti-theft-device" line the best! Been there on several occasions!

Last edited:
Timberhauler, do you ever get concerned about a tree going the wrong way and taking the New Holland for a ride? I always run my winch through a snatch block so it can only drag the tractor so far. Course if it ever happened I could really have a situation to deal with.

Back