Newest member to the family(090)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z4lunch

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Steve here...
My 090 showed up today in the brown truck. Looks good sounds good, but I wondered if any of you guys had any hot tips on making these run strong stock. And yes I will be removing the governor rod. But is there anything else I can do. Sorry Ken I think I'm going to leave this one all stock. Thanks in advance for any hot tips.
Steve

Obviously a ported muffler is the place to start. 1-2 hp right there

You could remove the choke plate for 1/2hp

If it is not going to be used in super dusty conditions a K/N with a velocity stack is another 1 hp

choke plate

Steve here...
I think I can answer this one. My 088kd has no choke, for the reasons mentioned above. I have a little squirt bottle with gas in it, and I shoot a little in the carb, when it's cold. When it's hot it starts on the first or second pull, with the throttle plate closed.
Thanks,
Steve

Howdy z4lunch-

great looking old specimen there. One thing to keep in mind on the hop-ups, those old 090s are great saws but if you're hopping up a "working saw" then the 090 is one to be careful with. The displacement to bearing structure ratio is much higher and a lot of local guys here in Oregon ( Southern Oregon ) were melting down the bottom ends on the 090s when hopped up for timber falling or milling.

State of Wisconsin:

-will be lucky to have any trees left standing.:D

Howdy all, this is my first post here. Been looking on for a while now and finally decided to jump on in and give y'all another greenhorn to kick around. This thread got my attention because I'm currently working on a 090 picked up a few months ago for milling. Actually, I just got 'er running today:D Lots o' fun trying to adjust the carb while that things jumping around the barn floor! Anyhow, what I was wondering about is this mention of removing the governor rod. Obviously, I'd love to have the extra rpms, but isn't that there because the engine will otherwise burn itself up? This is at least what I read in the repair manual I got on e-bay which arrived in a plain brown wrapper plastered with lovely canadian stamps from a place called ballinifad. Has anyone disabled the governor on the 090 without cooking it?
Thanks,
George

Back