Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the saws in that series, 3400, 3700, 4000 have a cult following here. They are in my opinion the pinacle of Poulan design ( I believe those are Mike's exact words). Bullet proof, have manners and are the absolute easiest saw in the world to work on. They came in a variety of colors and badges. the 3400 can easily pull 20" full comp 3/8" chain. Welcome to the forum.

I appreciate the help with the pics, and the wisdom offered about the saw.

The man that sold me this today, out of Havelock, New Brunswick was very meticulous. It showed in everything he had. It was an easy decision to buy the saw from him (came fitted with brand new unused chain and 737 file), and excellent condition service manual.

It hadn't run in a couple weeks, but two pulls on full choke and it stumbled. Backed off one notch, another pull, and it ran and kept running just fine.

Previous owner said he always tended to run it a tad rich to take care of it, and when I mixed my first fuel for it today, I mixed at 14:1 instead of 16, with 89 Octane.

This might have been unnecessary or even not advisable, but I read other info earlier where Craftsmans had a tendency to run lean. This may not apply to the Poulan-built Craftsmans, I don't know. I am an amateur.

Carb# 35094 (same apparently for the 3.7 or 3700)

Thanks guys!

The man that sold me this today, out of Havelock, New Brunswick was very meticulous. It showed in everything he had. It was an easy decision to buy the saw from him (came fitted with brand new unused chain and 737 file), and excellent condition service manual.

It hadn't run in a couple weeks, but two pulls on full choke and it stumbled. Backed off one notch, another pull, and it ran and kept running just fine.

Previous owner said he always tended to run it a tad rich to take care of it, and when I mixed my first fuel for it today, I mixed at 14:1 instead of 16, with 89 Octane.

This might have been unnecessary or even not advisable, but I read other info earlier where Craftsmans had a tendency to run lean. This may not apply to the Poulan-built Craftsmans, I don't know. I am an amateur.

Thanks guys!

Original specs for the Poulan 3400, 3700 and 4000 did call for a 16-1 mix. However todays premium synthetic oils are much better than the old oils and you can safely go to a 40-1 mix or 3.25oz. of oil per gal. of gas . I've used this mix in all my saws will no ill affects whatsoever. 89 octane is also a good blend.

Thanks guys!

Welcome to the Poulan thread on AS. Very nice saw you have there. Even a little rare! When you look for parts, most all 3400/3700 Poulan/Craftsman parts are interchangeable.
:cheers:
Gregg,

Is there a method to adjust the high speed mix on these 5400's. Seems like someone said that it had to be adjusted in the wood. Not sure how I am gonna hold a tachometer, the saw and adjust the mix. Looks like its pulling over 10,000 out of the wood. I had to take the airfilter cover to get my tach to read the signal.

Not sure if you are pulling our legs or not. If your 5400 has a carb(Tillotson HS176A) with a governor it would bog down or load up at full throttle out of the wood. You will need to adjust the HI needle as you cut with the saw, adjusting it to get the best response. If you happen to have a Tillotson HS168A it doesn't have a governor and you can adjust as usual with your tach.

s25da parts supply ?

I'm having s25da fantasies and thinking about picking one up, what's the parts supply like for these? Are gasket sets, seals, oil pump diaphragms and etc available ?

Thanks

Tim

I'm having s25da fantasies and thinking about picking one up, what's the parts supply like for these? Are gasket sets, seals, oil pump diaphragms and etc available ?

Thanks

Tim

I've seen gasket kits on Ebay for theses saws. However parts like rings, etc are hard to find. I have two of these saws and they are real strong saws. JoeS25DA is the real expert on these saws as he goes to bed with them every night so they don't get cold. Seriosly he' rebuilt more of these saws than anyone I know expect for possibly ModifiedMark.
Bob

Thanks

Tim

Welcome to the Poulan thread! The parts supply is pretty good. Ive seen gasket sets and seals for them on ebay. Parts saws are easy to come by too. Most need fuel system work: new fuel line and a carb kit.

I think I can help here.

My 10-10A

attachment.php

My 306A

attachment.php

I think the extra 5cc is worth a couple ounces more. As far as size goes the 306 might look wider but with the recoil sticking out of the 10-10 there going to be really close.

13.1 is lighter than the spec. on Acres' site. My PM 10-10S has got to be another 12oz with the chainbrake.

13.25# ain't that bad for 60cc. I'm gonna widen my horizons.

Thanks fellas.
Carl

Hello there,

Today I bought a real good running Craftsman saw, for $150 Canadian. I see now I may have paid a bit much, but I was impressed with the excellent condition the previous owner kept it in since new, and it seems more than capable of doing what I want (occasional felling, and the odd bit of framing carpentry

I've determined that it is based on a Poulan 3400, and that's why I'm here!

Model #: 358-41418
It was originally purchased in 1987, Sears Canada. Manual says 1985 on the print date. I am thinking the 41418 is a Canadian only number possibly? The manual that came with it covers 358.59516, 59318, and 59520 models, and the 41418 is just stamped on with block letters and ink, something I'm not unaccustomed to seeing with stuff adapted to the Canadian market.

This does have a chain break.

It has an 18" bar, according to the manual, it will take an Oregon P76 LP chain, Craftsman 16-20" SNR LOW KICK bar.

I cant believe how many pages are in this thread, incredible resource, but not sure I can navigate through it all. I did try a few pages.

My googling has had me at this site all day, and it has been the best source I've found, so I've taken the plunge.

Wondering what anyone might be able to tell me about this saw, what I can expect from it, results with a larger bar, etc. Am I better off looking for Poulan parts? not sure what differences. All very new to me.

I also have a Makita DCS400. It seems capable enough, but maybe a little small.

Thanks for having me aboard!
Thats a nice little saw i have its green cousin and its bigger cousin a 3700. I have yet to cut with the 3400 so couldnt tell ya how they cut, but if its anything like my 3700 you will love it.
p_00142.jpg

the saws in that series, 3400, 3700, 4000 have a cult following here. They are in my opinion the pinacle of Poulan design ( I believe those are Mike's exact words). Bullet proof, have manners and are the absolute easiest saw in the world to work on. They came in a variety of colors and badges. the 3400 can easily pull 20" full comp 3/8" chain. Welcome to the forum.
Really? I figured a 18" with full comp would be pushing it....

I've seen gasket kits on Ebay for theses saws. However parts like rings, etc are hard to find. I have two of these saws and they are real strong saws. JoeS25DA is the real expert on these saws as he goes to bed with them every night so they don't get cold. Seriosly he' rebuilt more of these saws than anyone I know expect for possibly ModifiedMark.
Bob

Hahaha I think my fiancee might draw the line at that! I agree with you about what Ive seen and what I havent seen for these saws too. I think you and Mark and Mike are the experts on these tho

Thanks

Tim

The best thing about these saws is they all came with a chrome plated bore, so if anyone remotely took care of it it's at least rebuildable.

Welcome to the Poulan thread! The parts supply is pretty good. Ive seen gasket sets and seals for them on ebay. Parts saws are easy to come by too. Most need fuel system work: new fuel line and a carb kit.

Thanks Joe I checked ebay and found the gasket sets looks like they come with seals, how about oil pump diaphragms was told these are hard to come by ?

tm

Thats a nice little saw i have its green cousin and its bigger cousin a 3700. I have yet to cut with the 3400 so couldnt tell ya how they cut, but if its anything like my 3700 you will love it.
p_00142.jpg

Really? I figured a 18" with full comp would be pushing it....

Well a freight train would have a hard time pulling the firewood I've cut with a 3400 and I'm here to tell you that it will pull a 20" full comp just fine.
Not as fast as a 4200 but then not much is!
I'd take one ANY day over an MS290.
Anyone who tells you differently.............doesn't know what they are talking about!
I've seen a HELL of a lot more fried Huskys and Stihls than I EVER have 3400s!!!
You have a great saw and got it at a reasonable price.
Kinda like a buddy of mine from Michigan used to say...."Any saw that runs out good enough to keep your azz warm for a winter is worth $150.00"!
If you look at it like this...That is only 3 tanks of gasoline for a decent pickup... it puts it in a little different perspective.

Congratulations and welcome to the fraternity!

Mike

what ya think?

what ya all think about this old craftsman?i think it was late 80s?

Thank you redunshee, yes I meant less oil in the mix, sorry for the bad terminology!

Thanks also to rms61moparman for more insight into these saws. I do feel like it was a good deal.

Nice pics ClayKann101, the saws are pretty much identical with the exception of the brake it seems. Still wondering if there would be any other differences.

-----

I have 4 birch I am itching to fell and buck - waiting on the weather. Nasty one here in NB today.

I'll be sure to confirm the adjustment, but I'm betting it's close to optimal condition, the way the previous owner maintained it.

Latest posts

Back