Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well after a lot of clean up and some extra parts I had, I got the 4000 running. Pulled cylinder and cleaned up piston a little. Replaced w/o a gasket and switched top and bottom rings around. Comp. before and after went from 130 to 150. Rebuilt carb(naturally), replaced rear handle assembly as the left half was busted( think I can fix with a little JB weld), replaced clutch cover and painted muffler(drilled out baffle and removed screen). Saw starts and idles very well but I'll throw on a bar and chain for fine tuning. Saw is still a little scratched up and decals poor. May be a good painting project when I get some more paint.

Another nice 4000 Gregg! i saw that one on the 'bay. 20 psi is a nice jump for free too!
Im gonna do what Mark said and check the lever. I did replace the metering rod too. Im just mad i got 2 saws down now. No big deal Ill get them going.

Well after a lot of clean up and some extra parts I had, I got the 4000 running. Pulled cylinder and cleaned up piston a little. Replaced w/o a gasket and switched top and bottom rings around. Comp. before and after went from 130 to 150. Rebuilt carb(naturally), replaced rear handle assembly as the left half was busted( think I can fix with a little JB weld), replaced clutch cover and painted muffler(drilled out baffle and removed screen). Saw starts and idles very well but I'll throw on a bar and chain for fine tuning. Saw is still a little scratched up and decals poor. May be a good painting project when I get some more paint.

Just curious if pulling the gasket on my 3700 would be bad or good?

Bar Oil

I thought you guys might like to see what I found. Not sure if they still make this or not. I dont plan on using it just keeping it around.

attachment.php

I had never found the stuff before...thought it might be old stuff. The place I got it from has tons of old crap. I will save it anyway.

Run it til you have some trouble. Don't fix what ain't broke!

If I could live by my own words I'd be in good shape.

:biggrinbounce2:
CT

Ya but i like to hotrod things lol. Ill leave it alone....I need to find a blown up stihl or something to hot rod..........

Ya but i like to hotrod things lol. Ill leave it alone....I need to find a blown up stihl or something to hot rod..........

You would be wasting your time. I can't tell any differance between 120 comp and 150 comp as far as cutting goes. In my opinion no matter what comp is you can't increase engine speed beyond reasonable limits. Not w/o porting, etc which will increase fuel flow.

Another nice 4000 Gregg! i saw that one on the 'bay. 20 psi is a nice jump for free too!
Im gonna do what Mark said and check the lever. I did replace the metering rod too. Im just mad i got 2 saws down now. No big deal Ill get them going.

Well Joe, I put a bar on it and ran saw to fine tune. Not happy with how it idles . When I did a pressure/vacuum test, a few days ago, I noticed some leakdown in the vacuum test in both seals. Thought it wasn't bad enough to warrant replacing but I'm having my doubts, now. May try again this week before replacing them. Saw just doesn't idle like it should and saw only speeds up as I lean out the Lo screw. Speed should die at some point as I do this.
Bob

You guys need to really watch and be carefull with those blasted HDB carbs. Especially when your setting that needle lever.

It's hard for me to explain but the lever has little "hooks" where it pivots on the pin.

If you bend it wrong setting that lever height, you will open those "hooks" and the damn needle will not pivot right on that pin. You end up with too much slop on it.

Yea I understand, though I've never run into that issue. I'll certainly be on the lookout however. Thanks Mark

I used to have a Poulan Predator. POS wouldn't run if it had to save itself from zombies. Sold it for 40 bux. Hope that guy is happy with it...

Yes, the old Poulans are cool, I don't have one... Yet.

Get yourself some junkers to mess around with first, you don't want to go putting your every day saws out of commission

CT
They aint my everyday saws now, firewood season is over :( for me atleast.....
Don't have to do that. I had a 4000 that would outcut a 361. They respond well to mods.

O really, how far did you take the porting?

hey fellers i need a air filter for my 3800 poulan does anyone know where i can find one at?

ok i know i tried 2 places today and they said they can't order them nomore but i got a other cuople of places to try tomorrow though

Back