Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another lesson learned.

Greets,I picked up a valuable tip on my 3400.While hunting at a boneyard for a bar&chain for this saw,I found another Poulan with a nice bar/chain/sprocket(spur) like new.What I did not know is that the clutch outer hub was to wide.I mean that I put the clutch from the poulan on and was very proud of myself. It purred like a kitten.I noticed a brown circle on the clutch cover.Yes you would be correct if you said the outer clutch hub was rubbing a hole in the cover!! I didn't notice the width untill I had the correct clutch on. Just thought that I would mention that haste does make waste. Thanks for reading and sharing your tips.

Lesson learned cont'd.

No one of those glow in the dark lime green saws is enough.I only needed the parts to get the old heifer running. I think I will stay with the big 3,stihl,husq,Jreds.Cheers.

No one of those glow in the dark lime green saws is enough.I only needed the parts to get the old heifer running. I think I will stay with the big 3,stihl,husq,Jreds.Cheers.

Well now you need to be well diversified in your saws. A few green don't hurt anyone. If you find em cheap up there send em down state. I like all colors of saws.

Here is another lesson for you to learn.

Go back to 1980 and tell me what Husq, Stihl and Jred had to compare to the glow in the dark saw then come back and tell me what you find.

Keep it in perspective.

Here is another lesson for you to learn.

Go back to 1980 and tell me what Husq, Stihl and Jred had to compare to the glow in the dark saw then come back and tell me what you find.

Keep it in perspective.

:agree2:

The Stihl offering was the 041 (60cc class) and Poulan had the 3700. Clearly the 3700 had better anti-vibe, was a little better in the power department, and it kept all it's screws in place without vibrating out.

Not gonna make too many friends around here with uneducated statements like that. If your not happy with your "glow in the dark saws" please send them to me. Or 90% of the AS community that know what a good saw is.

I had an 041 cut about a truck load of wood and it too 2 days before I could feel my hands so I could type to put it on the bay. I just started getting involved in the older P's and I'm likibg the feeling of them plus the parts don't rob the bank.

The Stihl offering was the 041 (60cc class) and Poulan had the 3700. Clearly the 3700 had better anti-vibe, was a little better in the power department, and it kept all it's screws in place without vibrating out.

I love my 041 and I'm not sure the 3700 will outpower it when the going gets tough but, the Poulans of that era are DEFINATELY more user friendly, the parts were MUCH cheaper, the initial cost was MUCH less, they were (and are) ridiculously easier to work on, and at that time, there were 10 Poulan dealers to every Stihl dealer in this part of the country.

It's just hard to argue with success.
I'll be willing to bet that in the Poulan Lovers Group membership there are at LEAST 3 pickup truck loads of 3400-3700-4000 Poulans that are ready and able to cut a load of wood on a moments notice.
Many of those same saws were cutting wood before the current owners were even born and will be cutting for generations to come.

Would I sound biased if I said that dollar for dollar, pound for pound, day of age for day of age, they are the best saws ever produced?
You bet I would!
But I've been making that claim for several years now and haven't been proven wrong yet.

Mike

I love my 041 and I'm not sure the 3700 will outpower it when the going gets tough but, the Poulans of that era are DEFINATELY more user friendly, the parts were MUCH cheaper, the initial cost was MUCH less, they were (and are) ridiculously easier to work on, and at that time, there were 10 Poulan dealers to every Stihl dealer in this part of the country.

I'll be willing to bet that in the Poulan Lovers Group membership there are at LEAST 3 pickup truck loads of 3400-3700-4000 Poulans that are ready and able to cut a load of wood on a moments notice.
Many of those same saws were cutting wood before the current owners were even born and will be cutting for generations to come.

Would I sound biased if I said that dollar for dollar, pound for pound, day of age for day of age, they are the best saws ever produced?
You bet I would!
But I've been making that claim for several years now and haven't been proven wrong yet.

Mike

Im older than my (4) 3400-4000 saws but not by much! And they are my favorite saws to run. Im ALWAYS on the look for another one or three.

You bet I would!

Mike

Dang, I only wish that was true with me.

Leson learned cont'd

Thanks for the comments. I have been a Poulan fan for a long time.Ya"ll need to not take yourselves so seriously.I can tell this 3400 is a well made machine.But I still like the Euro. saws.All I will say is.......whatever. I have learned many things here and appreciate everyone.Even the one's that try to jump to conclusions.......Cheers.

Poulan 3400 vs 4200

I remember friends that had 3400's. At the time I was cutting firewood
I was using a 4200. It would walk on by a 3400 if you could handle it.
I still have it & a 5400 w 24" B&C. I usually use a lighter saw, but these
old saws will git her done on bigger wood.

Gee, Chris you been holding out on me, I don't remember you saying you had one of my grail saws!

Nice looking one. I almost snagged one like it a couple years ago.

What shift you working? I'm still off so give me a call so I can come over and drool on it. I'll bring my 71-A over for you to try. I think you would like it.

:clap:

Mark,

When I was over at your place, I had no idea you interested in the *other* Poulans. I also have a 655 you might want to check out. The 6000 definitely has more personality. Both 100cc saws, night and day differences.

I start midnights this weekend, but am off next weekend. I'll get with you later.

Chris B.

I remember friends that had 3400's. At the time I was cutting firewood
I was using a 4200. It would walk on by a 3400 if you could handle it.
I still have it & a 5400 w 24" B&C. I usually use a lighter saw, but these
old saws will git her done on bigger wood.

Well, i would think it would. After all your comparing a 56cc saw to a 68cc saw.:chainsaw:

Back