NOCO Chargers are Garbage - What's a better brand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the noco genius 2d and 10. Wanted to try the desulfate mode. Probably will fail with all the electronics in it.

Outside of that, I've been slowly buying the old wire wound transformer/analog ones. I have 7 of the old RACs 6/12 2/4 amp, and 3 of the bigger 60/40/2/250 centurys. The rectifiers/timers/switches can still be found if your transformer is good. The waffle plate that the double star diodes sit against, if there's any corrosion, that's the end of them. All the diodes have to make contact, once one smokes, it upsets everything so bad it'll bleed AC waves and possibly damage items on the DC circuit, or possibly trip the breaker. I had issues of a rectifier so nasty it'd immediately arc the heat plate and blow the 15amp in the fuse panel.

I try and use any wire wound transformer battery charger on 15amp breakers. If possible 10amps. You don't want to loose them triple wound transformers.....

The centurys are a beast. Theyll easily pump 16v @ 60amps on the one winding, non stop duty cycle. One of them i added a 75ft power cord, and some 2ga copper leads that are 50ft each. Very handy. Also added bigger wheels.

Timer has a hold position, that I forgot if too close.to the hold position, the timer isn't a timer anymore. I thought neighbor was shooting a gun during the night. Next morning all I see was the bottom of the battery case and blown plastic in a 70ft radius.

I ordered a new timer. $7

Purchased this Schumacher battery charger when my old Craftsman battery charger pooped out. I like the 100 amp engine start and the 30 amp boost. Happy that it won't overcharge my batteries.

Schumacher Electric Battery Charger and Maintainer, SC1281, 4-in-1, Fully Automatic, 100 Cranking Amps, 6v and 12v Automotive Batteries - Ideal for Motorcycle, Cars, Trucks, Marine Batteries and More​

I slso like the 4A Battery tender for battery maintenancee and trickle charging.

Battery Tender 022-0209-DL-WH 4A Selectable Charger is an AGM/Standard or GEL/Lithium Ion Switchable, 12v or 6v Switchable at 4a, Includes Rings & Clips. It Will Never Over Charge Your Battery​

I used the 100 amp and 50 amp modes on my Schumacer battery charger to rejuvenate a dead battery in a neighbor's pickup. It enabled her to get 2 more years of use out of that battery.

The Schumacher also has an Equalizing Mode which overcharges the battery to equalize voltage in each battery cell.

Back