Oil thread of October 2015

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I'd start another oil thread. Figure the pot needed to be stirred again... :innocent:

Here's the scoop... I'm looking for a high quality synthetic oil that leaves minimal carbon deposits on parts, yet leaves a good amount of lubrication. Synthetic blends are a possibility... if you know of one that meets the above requirements then feel free to say something about it.

I read some have used Motul 800, but I am also looking at Royal Purple HP-2C, as well as Maxima Formula K2.

Any real world experience behind your lead(s) on quality oils would be appreciated... and for further information, I plan on running either 32:1 or 40:1 in my saws, weedwacker, and snowblower.
I've used what hundreds of people across forums all over the Internet consider the best 2t oil ever made, Mobil 1 Racing 2t (same as MX2T, but with red dye added) and all of it is sitting in my storage room right now while I'm testing out Lubegard Premium 2 Cycle Engine Oil. So far it isn't making me want to rush back to the Mobil, in fact, I don't see any shortcomings to it vs the former. If anything it actually seems like my commercial grade blowers and trimmer idles smoother with Lubegard. Both are about the same in the smoke department, which is non-existent once warmed up even at 20:1 ratios. A lot of ester based oils tend to be on the thicker side (not that there's anything wrong with that, and that might be better for higher RPM applications). This stuff is unique because it's a low viscosity ester (7-7.5 cst@100c) looks like the same viscosity as Lucas Semi synth. Also tested it in my Toro 221QE (141cc R-Tech engine) snowblower while getting it ready for winter. For point of reference, at one point I used to use Echo Power Blend in it, and even at lesser oil concentrations (like 40:1) I would get black spooge out of the muffler during use. With Lubegard at double the amount of oil, there is no spooge coming out. That tells me that the stuff is actually burning quite completely and cleanly. I just picked up a wireless tach and when I get a chance I'm going to do an RPM test between Mobil and the LG oils and see if the max rpm differs much between them. Another "under the radar" oil I'm interested in trying is Kawasaki K-tech. I haven't seen anyone on this forum mention having used it, but I have heard it is good at bobistheoilguy.

I've used what hundreds of people across forums all over the Internet consider the best 2t oil ever made, Mobil 1 Racing 2t (same as MX2T, but with red dye added) and all of it is sitting in my storage room right now while I'm testing out Lubegard Premium 2 Cycle Engine Oil. So far it isn't making me want to rush back to the Mobil, in fact, I don't see any shortcomings to it vs the former. If anything it actually seems like my commercial grade blowers and trimmer idles smoother with Lubegard. Both are about the same in the smoke department, which is non-existent once warmed up even at 20:1 ratios. A lot of ester based oils tend to be on the thicker side (not that there's anything wrong with that, and that might be better for higher RPM applications). This stuff is unique because it's a low viscosity ester (7-7.5 cst@100c) looks like the same viscosity as Lucas Semi synth. Also tested it in my Toro 221QE (141cc R-Tech engine) snowblower while getting it ready for winter. For point of reference, at one point I used to use Echo Power Blend in it, and even at lesser oil concentrations (like 40:1) I would get black spooge out of the muffler during use. With Lubegard at double the amount of oil, there is no spooge coming out. That tells me that the stuff is actually burning quite completely and cleanly. I just picked up a wireless tach and when I get a chance I'm going to do an RPM test between Mobil and the LG oils and see if the max rpm differs much between them. Another "under the radar" oil I'm interested in trying is Kawasaki K-tech. I haven't seen anyone on this forum mention having used it, but I have heard it is good at bobistheoilguy.

Thank you very much for answering... this kind of info is what I'm looking for. I also ran Echo Power Blend for a little while as well and wasn't impressed with it either... it did leave a mess of spooge on the trimmer and a little on the saws. Currently burning through the last of the cheap Quaker State two stroke dino oil.

Back