Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do wonder how hard it would be to install a drip feeder to the stove that I'm putting in my barn. With 4 vehicles a 4-wheeler and a pro-grade ZT mower, used motor oil isn't hard to come by at my house. Plus I know of a few auto shops which may sell it for relatively nothing by the barrel... I have seen some waste oil fired forced air heaters and they are awesome (except when the filter screens on the pickup tubes plug up) which tends to put a hitch in their get along... I also want to put a heater loop around the flue to try to warm some water for me when I'm working on saws in the cold.

Ok... Question...
We use ink... That at room temperature, is stable...
When we heat it, the solvents "evaporate".. We are said to be emitting VOC's..
What gives???

I believe by heating the ink you speed up the process of releasing the VOC from the ink into the air.

An example of VOC is formaldehyde, with a boiling point of –19 °C (–2 °F), slowly exiting paint and getting into the air.

Burning your own used oil is allowed. Common for bigger truck shops to have an oil heater. I thought about having one but don't produce enough oil. Only 100 gallons in a year with 5 Dodge Cummins trucks. But I do have about 300 gallons on hand now in a 350 gallon tot to get rid of.

The old army drip heaters were scary to get lit. I almost burnt my eyebrows off getting one going.

I do wonder how hard it would be to install a drip feeder to the stove that I'm putting in my barn. With 4 vehicles a 4-wheeler and a pro-grade ZT mower, used motor oil isn't hard to come by at my house. Plus I know of a few auto shops which may sell it for relatively nothing by the barrel... I have seen some waste oil fired forced air heaters and they are awesome (except when the filter screens on the pickup tubes plug up) which tends to put a hitch in their get along... I also want to put a heater loop around the flue to try to warm some water for me when I'm working on saws in the cold.

One of the places I used to work used an oil burning set up with the wood stove. They used a metal 5 gallon bucket and soldered a piece of copper tubing about 1" up on the side with a 1/4" brass valve. From the brass valve they used an old piece of brake line to run into the top of the pot-bellied stove used to heat the shop. There were a couple of small openings on the stove where the brake line could fit through. The bucket with the motor oil was placed about shoulder high on a nearby shelf. The copper line was soldered in off of the bottom of the bucket so any contaminants would fall to the bottom and not clog the line.

As long as the fire was hot and the drip wasn't too aggressive it worked great. We only got the stove glowing hot twice while I was there over several winters. It buckled the sides a little bit the second time.

dd

I believe by heating the ink you speed up the process of releasing the VOC from the ink into the air.

An example of VOC is formaldehyde, with a boiling point of –19 °C (–2 °F), slowly exiting paint and getting into the air.

Burning your own used oil is allowed. Common for bigger truck shops to have an oil heater. I thought about having one but don't produce enough oil. Only 100 gallons in a year with 5 Dodge Cummins trucks. But I do have about 300 gallons on hand now in a 350 gallon tot to get rid of.

The old army drip heaters were scary to get lit. I almost burnt my eyebrows off getting one going.
I forgot that's sorta what you do, isn't it Doug?? Monitor that stuff??

Hello Folks: Got this thief red handed. Stealing my House Sparrow Bait.
img1001.jpg

So are holidays...
I'm sick of driving...
I did, however, get to drop the biggest Ash tree I've ever seen Friday while in MI...
It made the greatest whump I've ever heard when it hit the ground... EAB killed tree...
You know the drill.... Where are the pics?
AND, you better have left that EAB wood up there!

You know the drill.... Where are the pics?
AND, you better have left that EAB wood up there!
That's all we cut... There's dead Ash trees everywhere you look on my uncles place... Dumped 6 or 7 of them..
And yes... Wood all is being burned as we speak...
In Michigan...
I wish I would have gotten pics... But didn't happen... I'm a bad chronicler...

Last edited:
That's all we cut... There's dead Ash trees everywhere you look on my uncles place... Dumped 6 or 7 of them..
And yes... Wood all is being burned as we speak...
In Michigan...
I wish I would have gotten pics... But didn't happen... I'm a bad chronicler...
I LOVE splitting ash with a splitting maul... Easiest splitting wood I know.

Back