Older 26" pruning hand saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwaugh

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought this pruning saw a few years ago, cheap at an "antique" store. Depending on how you measure it's 26 or 27 inches long including the handle, 3 teeth per inch, cuts on the pull stroke. It looks more or less like the current offerings from Fanno or Superior Fruit Equipment, just with a slightly different tooth pattern. The leather sheath that came with it is stamped Bartlett MFG. Co. Detroit Michigan, I can't make out any markings on the saw plate (there is some moderate rust). I doubt it is really that old, the handle is laminated wood.

Photos below show it cleaned up slightly. I didn't have a file quite large enough to sharpen it, but from the geometry I can tell it was originally sharpened like a regular crosscut saw with a triangular file. I ordered a larger one which should be here tomorrow.

I was going to ask if it worth sharpening, but it looks like it will be easy to sharpen and I ordered the file. I got a Silky Zumbat a few months ago, and I was super impressed with how quickly it cut. Clearly this is a bigger saw and is set up for different tasks.... Saws like these are still sold, I'm just curious if they can compete with even a shorter length saws with a "Japanese tooth pattern"? Given the deep gullets it seems like this saw might do well in green resinous wood that the Silky would clog up on. I use old hand saws and have a bunch of older Disston/Atkins saws which I love, and I can sharpen them which is a major bonus. Anyway, part "show and tell" part interested to see if pattern saw sees much use?

Attachments

• IMG_0413.jpeg
    IMG_0413.jpeg
    188 KB
  • IMG_0416.jpeg
    IMG_0416.jpeg
    155.4 KB
  • IMG_0417.jpeg
    IMG_0417.jpeg
    191.6 KB
  • IMG_0418.jpeg
    IMG_0418.jpeg