Older 26" pruning hand saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwaugh

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought this pruning saw a few years ago, cheap at an "antique" store. Depending on how you measure it's 26 or 27 inches long including the handle, 3 teeth per inch, cuts on the pull stroke. It looks more or less like the current offerings from Fanno or Superior Fruit Equipment, just with a slightly different tooth pattern. The leather sheath that came with it is stamped Bartlett MFG. Co. Detroit Michigan, I can't make out any markings on the saw plate (there is some moderate rust). I doubt it is really that old, the handle is laminated wood.

Photos below show it cleaned up slightly. I didn't have a file quite large enough to sharpen it, but from the geometry I can tell it was originally sharpened like a regular crosscut saw with a triangular file. I ordered a larger one which should be here tomorrow.

I was going to ask if it worth sharpening, but it looks like it will be easy to sharpen and I ordered the file. I got a Silky Zumbat a few months ago, and I was super impressed with how quickly it cut. Clearly this is a bigger saw and is set up for different tasks.... Saws like these are still sold, I'm just curious if they can compete with even a shorter length saws with a "Japanese tooth pattern"? Given the deep gullets it seems like this saw might do well in green resinous wood that the Silky would clog up on. I use old hand saws and have a bunch of older Disston/Atkins saws which I love, and I can sharpen them which is a major bonus. Anyway, part "show and tell" part interested to see if this pattern saw sees much use?

Attachments

• IMG_0413.jpeg
    IMG_0413.jpeg
    188 KB
  • IMG_0416.jpeg
    IMG_0416.jpeg
    155.4 KB
  • IMG_0417.jpeg
    IMG_0417.jpeg
    191.6 KB
  • IMG_0418.jpeg
    IMG_0418.jpeg
    351.2 KB
  • IMG_0420.jpeg
    IMG_0420.jpeg
    228.9 KB
Got the new file today and sharpened the saw. Seems ok, I only tested it on a piece of dead 3" boxelder. Looking more closely with a magnifier, I can see I didn't fully get the apex of all the teeth, so I may clean it up a little more and go over it again. Some of the rust on the sides of the teeth may prevent getting a fully sharp cutter, so I may also try stoning the sides of the teeth and re-set if needed.

IMG_0425.jpegIMG_0422.jpegIMG_0421.jpeg

I'm working on another pruning saw I had, a Disston No. 32. I sharpened it once, didn't cut so great, tried again and it's still not cutting right as far as I can tell. I'll go over it tomorrow.IMG_0440.jpeg

IMG_0442 2.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0455.jpeg
    IMG_0455.jpeg
    195 KB
  • IMG_0444 2.jpeg
    IMG_0444 2.jpeg
    337.6 KB
  • IMG_0443 2.jpeg
    IMG_0443 2.jpeg
    689.3 KB
I got the Disston no. 32 pruning saw cleaned up and sharpened. Seems to cut OK, but for small stuff probably not as fast cutting as my Silky. I'll hang on to it, but it may see limited use.

IMG_0464.jpeg

IMG_0467.jpeg

IMG_0465.jpeg
The etch is readable, but certainly not in great shape, although my interest is in use, not collecting (I did try to not overly clean it though).

@Mad Professor you posted a saw similar to this one a while ago, did you end up getting it cut well?
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/interesting-small-crosscut-hand-saw.360342/#post-7744355

Back