Older blue Homelite Super XL AO with bar/chain overheating. Not sure what to do

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay folks it took quite a while to get the right part in, but comparing old vs new I now see what was wrong. No wonder we were having trouble.

Question. When I put the retainer nut back on the crankshaft, what do I torque it to and how do I keep the assembly from turning while I torque it down?

Thanks
IMG20240910155257.jpg

Feed some rope in through the sparkplug hole, just make certain the top of the piston is above the exhaust port opening, starter rope works well as it is a bit stiff. When you get enough rope in the cylinder it acts as a piston block and you can put plenty of torque on the clutch nut to get it tight enough. 16 ft lbs should be enough to hold it in place.

Feed some rope in through the sparkplug hole, just make certain the top of the piston is above the exhaust port opening, starter rope works well as it is a bit stiff. When you get enough rope in the cylinder it acts as a piston block and you can put plenty of torque on the clutch nut to get it tight enough. 16 ft lbs should be enough to hold it in place.
Okay, sounds good. Thanks!

Back