Older Stihl Pro saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler259

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey

I've been looking to get a 50cc pro saw namely the Husqvarna 346xp but just can't afford a new one around $500. Basically for firewood tasks.

So I've been looking on EBay for comparable models and a lot of older Stihls are coming up and selling for around $200 which is about my budget.

I just don't know what models are comparable to today's 50cc pro saws.

So my question is what models Stihl & Husky should I be looking for?

Thanks guys.

The 346xp and the Stihl 026 pro would be fairly comparable. Out of the two I'd prefer the 346, but both are excellent saws. I bought a good running 346 for $185 ...... so they are out there if you are patient.

Hey

I've been looking to get a 50cc pro saw namely the Husqvarna 346xp but just can't afford a new one around $500. Basically for firewood tasks.

So I've been looking on EBay for comparable models and a lot of older Stihls are coming up and selling for around $200 which is about my budget.

I just don't know what models are comparable to today's 50cc pro saws.

So my question is what models Stihl & Husky should I be looking for?

Thanks guys.

Not sure if you will get a "pro" grade, like anything with an XP label, but there is a husky 257 in the classifieds here, close to your budget, that'll cut all the firewood you want. Stihl side, one million 026s, 028s, 029s out there. Smaller but newer and a good deal, different brand, echo cs400. Guys here have reported those work really well once muff modded and retuned.

You can always post a "wanted to buy" ad in the classifieds here as well, with your budget, look at any offers. Realistically, for just personal firewood.....if it runs and you don't abuse it and it is big enough for your wood, about any saw will work. A sharp chain with a well maintained "home mortgage payer" grade saw will outcut a neglected "pro grade" with a dull chain.

The best deals on used saws you will find on the classifieds here from the pro and semi pro serious hobbiest builders who get used ones, fix all that needs fixing, then resell them, just because it is what they like to do. Much less of a crapshoot over ebay.

Do you have any saws now?

Oh hey, thought of something else. 50 cc, 200 bucks. Just so happens the very newest model of poulan hits that exactly at brand new price, and so far, guys have reported they really ain't that bad at all. There's a coupla threads on the main chainsaw forum about them. Or you could ask about them on the poulan "sticky" thread. Consensus is, decent saw, ships with too long of a bar, but drop it to like a 16, your expected "muffler mod and retune" and you are good to go cutting.

Last edited:
Stihl Pro saws are their "even" numbers -- originally ended in evens (024, 026, 036, 044, etc).

About a decade ago they switched the digit locations, becoming 260, 360, 440.

Subsequent models get incremented -- 361, 362, etc.

So if the model begins with zero, look for an even end.

If the model begins with a non-zero, look for an even second digit.

026/260s are running around $200 around here right now. They come up regularly on Craigslist, and you can use searchtempest.com to check out all the CL sites around you in one shot. Get the $200 out of the ATM so you have it when a good saw pops up on CL, be ready to pounce and go see it and if it starts and runs well do the deal.

(Sometime this year I need to pickup an 024 or a 026/260 as my new small saw after I traded my old 024 away...but I'd like something lighter and handier for limbing then my 039, 360, and 372XP)

Last edited:
Stihl Pro saws are their "even" numbers -- originally ended in evens (024, 026, 036, 044, etc).

About a decade ago they switched the digit locations, becoming 260, 360, 440.

Subsequent models get incremented -- 361, 362, etc.

So if the model begins with zero, look for an even end.

If the model begins with a non-zero, look for an even second digit.

026/260s are running around $200 around here right now. They come up regularly on Craigslist, and you can use searchtempest.com to check out all the CL sites around you in one shot. Get the $200 out of the ATM so you have it when a good saw pops up on CL, be ready to pounce and go see it and if it starts and runs well do the deal.

(Sometime this year I need to pickup an 024 or a 026/260 as my new small saw after I traded my old 024 away...but I'd like something lighter and handier for limbing then my 039, 360, and 372XP)

I think the pro saws also have white handles the other saws are coloured

Not Correct.

391 "mid range" -- 4.4hp, 14.1 pounds. NOT a Pro Saw (I have the predecessor 039)
MS391.jpg

362 "professional" -- 4.6hp, 13.0 pounds. It's a Pro Saw. (I have a 360)
MS362.jpg

Photos right off the Stihl site, note they both have white handles.

I believe all the current "Pro" have that black top on white handle...but none the less go by the model numbers, not color schemes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys on "pro" saws. That is handy to know about the model numbering. I always thought is was some sort of Voodoo or something.

I don't think you can really go by the old "odd and even" anymore with the addition of the "1" series saws such as; 261,361,441 etc. These are all pro series saws along with the 362 which replaced the 361. I hear that the 461 and 661 will be along in the next few years. The 026 you mentioned is a great saw from the 80's and early 90's that was replace by the MS260 that was replaced by the MS261 last year. You can't really compare a 026 to a Husky 346XP, the MS261 is a closer match. Best of luck in your search

Steve

Not Correct.

391 "mid range" -- 4.4hp, 14.1 pounds. NOT a Pro Saw (I have the predecessor 039)
MS391.jpg

362 "professional" -- 4.6hp, 13.0 pounds. It's a Pro Saw. (I have a 360)
MS362.jpg

Photos right off the Stihl site, note they both have white handles.

I believe all the current "Pro" have that black top on white handle...but none the less go by the model numbers, not color schemes.

Yeah, trickier & trickier ... will go with white with black handle. . how about the ms180 & ms181 ?
imgres

Last edited:
Just my two cents, but unless you are stuck on a Husqvarna or a Stihl I would look at Dolmar or Makita (same saws different color) too. All have pro grade saws and the dolmar 7900 has more power to weight ratio than I believe any other saw on the market. The 7900 is also hundreds less than the gold plated stihl of the same size. You could also try a dolmar 6400 as it will be cheaper and you can upgrade it if wanted from the stock 64cc to 79cc to 85cc with a kit from baileys. Home depot sometimes sells these used for around two bills. Good luck

Tyler , There are alot of used saws to look at in the $200 range just figure on new filter and fuel lines.Maybe a good carb cleaning . None of which are difficult to do . I think one of the best 50cc used saws is the Husky 254 xp .It is older than the 346 but I think a little better all around firewood saw . Others will of course disagree . Just be warned if you stay on this site you will end up with more saws than you could ever use . Check my profile you can see what saws I have you are welcome to try any of them . I am in Ct. as well PM me and we can see if we are close enough to get together .

Right now I have a Husqvarna 136. It's basically the cheapest home owner model they sell at Lowes or wherever.

I even cut down a big tree with it the other day. But it really only excels at limbing and small tree tasks.

I bid on a couple of 028 AVS Stihls on Ebay.

Thanks for the help.

not sure if it's still there but there was a real nice 026 PRO in the classifieds here for $225. and i think the 026 debuted in '91, not in the 80's.

Right now I have a Husqvarna 136. It's basically the cheapest home owner model they sell at Lowes or wherever.

I even cut down a big tree with it the other day. But it really only excels at limbing and small tree tasks.

I bid on a couple of 028 AVS Stihls on Ebay.

Thanks for the help.

I have the 137 and it actually is a pretty darn good saw. I've used it a lot.

But ya, you need at least one larger saw. 08f150 just put an 031av up on the classifieds here yesterday, if it is still there, that would fit the bill and it is cheap.

260's in my area are going for around 300, i actually have 1 for sale because i got a 261 Friday. I bought it for 300, used it for a year, and am fully confident i'm going to get 300 out of it. It will go with an extra chain and a case. Don't let those guys get you into a husky! buy a Stihl!

The only problem i had with the saw is when i bought it that it "rattled" inside. Turned out it needed a new rim sprocket and i've never done a thing to it since but pour fuel and oil into it. Even my dog could start it and run it. (well, close) The 026's are about the same money if they are pro's with decompression buttons and the regular 026's are around 240-275ish.

I've never ran another brand of saw, so maybe the husky guys are right, but i've owned 10 stihl's because i started with a junk 018c and an 025. Then got "smart" and got a 250 and after that an 036 pro which was a GREAT saw. :) next came the 441 and 260. i'm still convinced the 261 is a better saw than the 260, but i wasted a LOT of money to update to a new saw in the hopes it doesn't vibrate quite as much.

Latest posts

Back