Opti 2 confusion (this is not an oil thead)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmm 3rd generation lubrication. Wha, this is like z-max for saw. I read their sphiel it confused me somewhat and I'm not sold on it. could be empty promises of lubricating fantasy.. seems I'm only using 2nd generation lubrication (G-oil Engine Oil meets and exceeds JASO-FD/ISO L-EDG and API service category TC for 2 cycle air-cooled outdoor engines) but it works for me..

Last edited:
Curiosity got the best of me.
Just spoke with Paul (tech at Interlube, maker of the Opti oils). He says the one gal. pouches are made for marketing in countries such as UK, Australia that use Imperial gallons as units of measure and that dose covers them. The oil can be run at the 70:1 or the 100:1 ratio without changing tune, etc. He claims the oil has been tested @ 150:1 ratio and still passed all ISO requirements. The additive that allows these ratios has been developed in Germany and that is where they get theirs. I said alot of people would say it sounds like "snake oil" and he replied it is snake oil that works. They have been in business over 35 or 25 years (some of these facts get jumbled in my simple mind) and they have these years of testing, service and satisfied customers to back their claims.
Dont know if all claims are true and accurate, but just thought i would share what I found.

Ron

Just spoke with Paul (tech at Interlube, maker of the Opti oils). He says the one gal. pouches are made for marketing in countries such as UK, Australia that use Imperial gallons as units of measure and that dose covers them. The oil can be run at the 70:1 or the 100:1 ratio without changing tune, etc. He claims the oil has been tested @ 150:1 ratio and still passed all ISO requirements. The additive that allows these ratios has been developed in Germany and that is where they get theirs. I said alot of people would say it sounds like "snake oil" and he replied it is snake oil that works. They have been in business over 35 or 25 years (some of these facts get jumbled in my simple mind) and they have these years of testing, service and satisfied customers to back their claims.
Dont know if all claims are true and accurate, but just thought i would share what I found.

Ron

Well done Ron! Very informative!

Ron

Thank you for doing your homework!!! Very good post and exactly what I was looking for!!

BTW What oil do you use???????????????????????? :ices_rofl:

Just my two cents worth If the manufacture says 50-1 run it 50-1 or stronger.Would you run your car 2 quarts low because it is different oil?
2.6 oz of oil & 1 gallon of fuel = 50-1 opti oil does not = 50-1 unless you add 2.6 oz of it. Im sure that isn`t what your looking for but it is what it is.

So my neighbors have been running Opti2 for years and have had good luck with it. I thought id give it a try so i picked up 2 pouches of 1 gallon mix. They are 1.8oz..

So 128oz / 1.8 = 71.1:1 ratio.

At local farm store last night and they Opti2 in 2.5 gal mix pouches. They are 3.2oz..

So 128 x 2.5= 320 Then 320/3.2= 100:1

Shouldnt it be 4.5oz in 2.5 gal of gas to maintain 71:1 ratio per the one gallon mix pouches?

320/4.5= 71.1:1

Whats up with that?
Has anyone else noticed this?

My gosh ........ is math that hard ???
Do the math and make the ratio you desire ........ this aint rocket science !!!

Thank you for doing your homework!!! Very good post and exactly what I was looking for!!

BTW What oil do you use???????????????????????? :ices_rofl:

I use Opti-2 and that is part of the reason I called and spoke with Paul. Sometimes you gotta take the bull by the horns and get after it.
I had never done the math and did not realize that I was using an oil that was mixed at a 70:1 ratio. Kind of scared me to be completely honest! Brother been using it for bout 10 years and he got me started on it now for 5-7 years or somewhere in that time frame.

Ron

as ronaldo stated i have been using opti2 for 10 or so yrs.when i started using it didnt know as much about saws.now,every muff mod i have done on my saws i look at at the p&c when muff is off. no carbon buildup,internal looks wet like u just sprayed down with oil,no visable wear.have been runnin it in a solo 651/craftsman for 10 yrs,since new.before i sold it i took off muff and looked,once again wet,and u could still see cross hatch machine marks on bore,no noticeable wear.
theres my 2cents,have had no problems so will continue usein it until some come up!:msp_w00t:

My gosh ........ is math that hard ???
Do the math and make the ratio you desire ........ this aint rocket science !!!

Looks like another member missed the point of this thread........ :censored:

I measure my own mix........... Every time.........

I simply asked why the ratio was different from the 1 gallon pre measured pouch to the 2.5 gallon pre measured pouch, I wasn't making my own ratio.

Looks like another member missed the point of this thread........ :censored:

I measure my own mix........... Every time.........

I simply asked why the ratio was different from the 1 gallon pre measured pouch to the 2.5 gallon pre measured pouch, I wasn't making my own ratio.

I get it and it is curious. Per instructions on the respective packets, one packet mixes to 70:1 and the other to 100:1, BUT IT IS THE EXACT SAME OIL FOR THE SAME APPLICATION.

One thought is that they market the 1.8 oz packet to folks who are going to mix it to 50:1 anyway because that's the common ratio in today's owners manuals. That works out to dumping the entire 1.8 oz packet into a half gallon of gasoline, which is desirable for a lot of homeowners who don't need to make a gallon of fuel.

I always love hearing. I ran bla bla for 100 years at 200:1 and see no carbon buildup, still see cross hatch machine marks on bore, no noticeable wear. These types of statements, scream marketing BS. Every engine will show ware and carbon deposits after a true 10 years of use, end of story.

Opti has no special proprietary additives! Remember first and foremost, you're talking to a salesman on the other end of the line. The big oil companies control the best base stocks and additives. Opti, like most small blenders, get their base stock from the likes of BP, Exxon Mobil, Total and so on. Opti has no refineries in any shape or form.

Everyone is free to run what they want, it's your equipment. You may get away with running 100:1 in the right circumstances, pig rich, low rpm's and so on, but you're stupid if you run 70:1 or 100:1 That's right I said it, I've seen the inside of engines ran on 100:1 mix. Best of luck to you, my guess some of you are in sales yourself.:msp_wink:

Oil threads.:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

I always love hearing. I ran bla bla for 100 years at 200:1 and see no carbon buildup, still see cross hatch machine marks on bore, no noticeable wear. These types of statements, scream marketing BS. Every engine will show ware and carbon deposits after a true 10 years of use, end of story.

Opti has no special proprietary additives! Remember first and foremost, you're talking to a salesman on the other end of the line. The big oil companies control the best base stocks and additives. Opti, like most small blenders, get their base stock from the likes of BP, Exxon Mobil, Total and so on. Opti has no refineries in any shape or form.

Everyone is free to run what they want, it's your equipment. You may get away with running 100:1 in the right circumstances, pig rich, low rpm's and so on, but you're stupid if you run 70:1 or 100:1 That's right I said it, I've seen the inside of engines ran on 100:1 mix. Best of luck to you, my guess some of you are in sales yourself.:msp_wink:

Sheesh... Tell us how you really feel!
Hoskvarna and Ronaldo simply said they have been running said type of oil for a long period of time. Never did I see it mentioned that one saw was ran for 10 years. This thread here has some great info and also some great real world facts. Yes it may run great for some and not others. Like you said do what ever you want. Although I don't feel it was necessary for you to come down on fellow members and make allocations towards them. This is a great site with great friendly people, lets try and keep it that way.

Sheesh... Tell us how you really feel!
Hoskvarna and Ronaldo simply said they have been running said type of oil for a long period of time. Never did I see it mentioned that one saw was ran for 10 years. This thread here has some great info and also some great real world facts. Yes it may run great for some and not others. Like you said do what ever you want. Although I don't feel it was necessary for you to come down on fellow members and make allocations towards them. This is a great site with great friendly people, lets try and keep it that way.

as ronaldo stated i have been using opti2 for 10 or so yrs.when i started using it didnt know as much about saws.now,every muff mod i have done on my saws i look at at the p&c when muff is off. no carbon buildup,internal looks wet like u just sprayed down with oil,no visable wear.have been runnin it in a solo 651/craftsman for 10 yrs,since new.before i sold it i took off muff and looked,once again wet,and u could still see cross hatch machine marks on bore,no noticeable wear.
theres my 2cents,have had no problems so will continue usein it until some come up!:msp_w00t:

Nevertheless I find it inappropriate to spread bad, uneducated information. I simply stated some facts as I know them, and I stand by my statement. This thread provided more misinformation than anything IMHO.

Last edited:
Mike I don't have a answer to your question,but now you have me curious. I have been using Opti-2 since the 90's and never had a problem. I usually buy the gallon size by the case,that way I can mix up as little or as much as I need for the job. Contacting Opti might be a good idea.

Jim,
Where are you finding Opti in the gallon, and are you mixing it per their recommendation or doing your own ratio?

When I called Interlube, I was fully aware that I would be speaking to a sales and or tech that would or may put a pretty shiny spin on the product.
I posted what he told me as points of information, not as fact. I even added a disclaimer, if you will look back at the post.
My brother and I have been using Opti for years (10 or more) as we have stated and in that time been very pleased with its performance.
Been using it in old Poulans, Old Stihls, New Stihls, Jonsereds, Husqvarnas of various size and age and the Solo that was mentioned. In this time we have not had problems with fouled plugs, fuel related issues or wear issues. When we pull a muffler or plug and check pistons and cylinder walls, they all have a nice shiny oil coating and look great.

I am not employed by Interlube or anyone associated with them, I was just sharing what I heard from them and my own experiences in using the Opti oil. That is part of what this site is all about!
Please understand this: I AM NOT TRYING TO CONVINCE OR PERSUADE ANYONE TO USE THE OIL I AM USING! JUST SHARING EXPERIENCES!

Ron

I asked why the oil ratio was different, and got the answer. (Thank you Ron)

Why do you all think that I wanted your opinion on opti oil. I see that I should start an oil thread about opti.:msp_thumbup:

I asked why the oil ratio was different, and got the answer. (Thank you Ron)

Why do you all think that I wanted your opinion on opti oil. I see that I should start an oil thread about opti.:msp_thumbup:

Please don't........

Wanna talk oil? 30 weight non detergent, best there is I run it 250:1 in my..... dreams. Sorry Mike, your ratio question ended up like that. something so simple, yet sooo hard to read for some. Thread does have me curious on the opti stuff though:p

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

What's the matter... The mad scientist get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning???
I think I'll go run some E-85 in something...
70:1 ain't gonna kill anything...
Ya big baby...
:msp_tongue:

Back