Petzl Pantin foot ascender vs Notch Jet step foot ascender

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Petzl, but I'm not exactly crazy about it. Mine is also of the older design, so a new one might be considerably different.

I find it very challenging to get on my somewhat large feet. The clasps are quite reliable, but difficult to operate. I use it with 10mm rope, and find that it isn't too hard to move your foot in just the right way to let go of the rope. Conversely, it is pretty easy to re-attach to the rope with out using your hands, at least with a little height in the tree to add weight to the free hanging rope.

I have never used the Notch, so I cannot compare.

All ascenders work well with any rope ascension technique. It's coming down under control that presents a problem.

BTW: it also looks like the Petzl mostly redesigned their straps, so my comments about being hard to put on your foot probably are not applicable to the current model being sold. You might consider going by a Vermeer store, where the Sherrill tree equipment is being sold over the counter. You can look at what they have, order what they don't have in inventory (almost everything), and if you don't like it, don't pay for it. Returns are easy, too.

They are pretty good tree stores, although the employees at the local store are completely clueless about the tree equipment. They are Vermeer part counter guys.

Back