Cooling Vest for Heat Stress

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the A/C in my excavator can't even keep up anymore, and itll freeze you right out of the cab when its 80 degrees

Glad you're OK and knew when to call it quits.

If the AC used to keep up, see if it's still properly charged. An acceptable if not fantastic gauge set is cheap, then look up a temperature/pressure table and see how your high/low pressures compare. Might need a top up.

I will have to try that, normally I grab a few body armor's while we get fuel in the mornings, I need to keep some in the house, and I need to order more dripdrop/liquid I.V

my dad doesnt believe in any of that stuff, his loss I guess, the dripdrop is a literal lifesaver when its 90+ degrees, I can run almost all day non stop after a bottle of that stuff, without it I can work like an hour or two and then I get how I've been lately

Glad you're OK and knew when to call it quits.

If the AC used to keep up, see if it's still properly charged. An acceptable if not fantastic gauge set is cheap, then look up a temperature/pressure table and see how your high/low pressures compare. Might need a top up.
it works fine, machines not even a year old yet, just so damn hot out lol

even the A/C in my pickup or car doesn't keep up when its this hot, and they all work fantastic, my bucket truck doesn't have A/C and thats part in why I've been suffering through putting brush in the trailer more than chipping, since I can do that from the mostly comfortable airconditioned cab instead of messing with the big truck and no A/C lol

I will have to try that, normally I grab a few body armor's while we get fuel in the mornings, I need to keep some in the house, and I need to order more dripdrop/liquid I.V

my dad doesnt believe in any of that stuff, his loss I guess, the dripdrop is a literal lifesaver when its 90+ degrees, I can run almost all day non stop after a bottle of that stuff, without it I can work like an hour or two and then I get how I've been lately
Try it, mine will be here tomorrow, I'm getting ready for more heat. Amazon is fast around here.

it works fine, machines not even a year old yet, just so damn hot out lol

even the A/C in my pickup or car doesn't keep up when its this hot, and they all work fantastic, my bucket truck doesn't have A/C and thats part in why I've been suffering through putting brush in the trailer more than chipping, since I can do that from the mostly comfortable airconditioned cab instead of messing with the big truck and no A/C lol
Throw water on your self as needed. A garden hose works best.

had to do that day before yesterday, was once again outside working, had NO clue I was getting hot, felt just fine till colors disappeared and my balance went to ****, had to stumble my way back to the house to get water and a cold shower

I don't trust the weather app anymore, "90 degrees" isn't enough to make me almost pass out unless I've been in it all day working, outside for 10 minutes getting pictures of trucks shouldn't even make me sweat, didn't used to but now every time I go outside its like that time I got heat stroke a few years back but worse each time

the first time the heat got to me I threw up 3 times in half an hour, the time that I mentioned (you quoted) wasn't terrible compared to either, but this most recent time, I got in the cold shower for like 10 minutes and still came out feeling like crap, almost went to the hospital for that, had 3 trucks running and being moved around the yard, and I literally jumped off the bucket truck (flying the boom from lower controls for some advertising pics) to run inside, left all 3 trucks running and had to have my dad go shut trucks off for me because I was physically incapable of walking back up the hill to them in this heat, my speech was slurred, I was confused, things got really bad really quick, and I mean QUICK, went from "oh its a little warm but this is fine" to "oh **** I need to cool off and probably get ready to go to the ER" in all of 3 seconds

it sucks that we aren't flooded with work lately, but then again, I like sitting at home when its this hot, the A/C in my excavator can't even keep up anymore, and itll freeze you right out of the cab when its 80 degrees

Good to hear you're OK and did the right thing.

Not super hot here now, but dewpoint is 73 oF. Just getting a thunderstorm, will open windows in the house and put fans on, then shut them and trap cold air inside, no AC here......

That's too pricey for me. The mix I posted :

Table salt <$1
Lite salt ~$2-3
Baking soda ~ $0.50
Tang ~ $3-4

You'll run out of Tang first. The rest lasts many Tang containers. Gallons and gallons of mix......

Try it. I make it and alternate it with iced spring water.

Spring right out of a mountainside I've been drinking from since childhood. No houses/roads/anything for miles above it, state forest land.

spring at w pond 2.jpg

Get a window unit so you can sleep.

At one place I have a cot in the basement/man cave/finished room/bar. Stays ~ 63 oF and has a dehumidifier going all summer. I go there to cool off too.

The farmhouse I trapped cold air inside a few nights ago. It was in the 50s and dewpoint in the 40s. House is surrounded with large trees, deciduous on the east/south/west. It's been in the 80s a few days, house just broke 70s today. Recharging cold air tonight........

Zinn should really go get checked out by a Dr, from what he's been saying he's suffering from a chronic issue of heat stress.
very possible, wasn't bothering me till a few weeks ago and now I can barely go outside

although it also wasn't nearly this hot and I haven't been working in as much shade as normal, but the heat is getting to my brain faster than normal it seems

very possible, wasn't bothering me till a few weeks ago and now I can barely go outside

although it also wasn't nearly this hot and I haven't been working in as much shade as normal, but the heat is getting to my brain faster than normal it seems
Could be electrolyte deficiencies! Are you getting muscle cramps?

It never set in with me till I flopped over and woke up in an ice bath at the hospital. Get checked out, not worth doing permant damage to your body/organs. Best case they tell you your levels are off and run some fluids in you to get you balanced out again. In my case kidney damage and needing to be extremely careful the rest of my life.

IDK take it easy though!
I am, which is exactly why I'm looking for a grapple truck to replace my bucket truck right now so I can pretty much eliminate chipping and manual labor (plus my bucket truck is just plain old)

still looking for a mecanil head too, plan is a mecanil on the grapple truck, mini treemek deal, would turn about 50% of my 1 day jobs into a 45 minute job where I just sit on the back of the truck killing trees from that seat

Expensive as hell!
yeah, I talked to the guy that built the truck, about 350K for that rig

I'm looking for something WAY cheaper and older, preferably better shape than the bucket truck I have right now although I doubt I can even get 20K from my truck, and thats 10K short of the grapple alone, not including the loader or truck, although for what I can get out of my truck an under CDL stick boom with ~75ft of boom is doable, but thats too dang small for tree work no matter how close you park, and still needs a climber which is what I wanna avoid

I don't know, man. He says marathon runners who drink a lot of water lose too much sodium. I'm just an old guy who does maybe 6 hours of work every week in the hot sun. I'm not running 15 miles a day and sweating 6 extra gallons a week.

This guy isn't really a doctor. He's a chiropractor. If you start a course today, you can be a chiropractor by Christmas.

Back