Picked up a new STIHL 460 MAGNUM on saturday.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh1981

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
picked up a new stihl ms460 magnum with 20 inch bar, extra chain (RSC), came with RS chain, 5 percent discount on saw and free shirt. I needed something for BIG wood firewood cutting and cut down bigger trees. I have nothing bad to say about this saw. It just works. This is the BEST saw I have ever used and I have a 361 and 180 stihl, used to have a 290. Easiest starting saw I have ever used. Best feeling controls, chain brake, throddle out of the bunch.

In my opinion the ones made in Germany are better than ones built here. But they are all built well.

Used it today cutting oak firewood in dekalb county GA not far from atlanta (half hour). We have a lot of firewood around here.

pictures:

First night with her.

firstnightwithnewstihlms4603132010.jpg

todays firewood cutting job

460magnum.jpg

On my friends truck.

ms180361460ondennistruck.jpg

Stihl 361, 180, 460. we used them all.

stihlms180361460.jpg

at the condo, in the shop.

sawsinshopatcondo.jpg

video of cutting with 460. wearing stihl RS chain, 20 inch bar. I am wearing my hearing protection, chaps, boots, cut resistant stihl shirt. Big saw, I took no chances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF4I8U1CZ7Y

More cutting and pics next weekend. More videos too.

I love my 361 its a great saw good power. But when I used that 460 today lets just say no comparison. Its a real screamer with 20 inch. I am going to get a bigger bar for it though for the bigger stuff.

70+ CC saws are what seperate the men from the boys!

Congrats on the new saw! It sure looks awesome.
Do You do anything different during the break-in period? At what RPM did Your dealer tach it for break-in?

Yah, my 460 is gotten broken in well....has really woken up, bought it last fall. I'm using a 28" bar....the real test was working it in some slippery elm. A 20" would be fun tho....

I run a 25" as well, but I bet that thing really eats wood w/ a 20" bar.

Very nice saw. IMHO, a 361 is an odd man out when you have a 460. Pick up a good 50cc saw, and you'll never need a 60cc saw again.

I will be the odd man out here I had the 260 just not working for me the 361 will get me to the trunk everytime...and a few jobs the 260 stayed on the shelve not judgeing here its just what works best for me..

I will be the odd man out here I had the 260 just not working for me the 361 will get me to the trunk everytime...and a few jobs the 260 stayed on the shelve not judgeing here its just what works best for me..

That was your problem right there. You need a 346:) A 260 leaves me wanting too. Oh no, here we go again:greenchainsaw:

That was your problem right there. You need a 346:) A 260 leaves me wanting too. Oh no, here we go again:greenchainsaw:

Thats probally true but I was going for the same saw set up and the 361 does that and then some.before I had to grap the 460 and 28in. bar much sooner than I wanted to....now its stright to the trunk very quickly, may be an odd ball but it just flat out works..now the trees I get some ofthe limbes can be over 20 in. so I am doing big trees and chipping anything under 5 in.

That's a nice saw.

Not trying to be a party pooper, but you should really grip that front handle bar better. I noticed that your thumb wasn't wrapped around it. Kickback can be a #####.

Latest posts

Back