Picked up a new STIHL 460 MAGNUM on saturday.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its about time lol, now ditch the 361 and get a 260. you'll find you use it less and less with the new 460, little more weight lot more power!!!!!

anyways congrats:cheers:

I personally hate big saws everyone has to have a big bad saw for firewood. I own a logging company and what do we pick up 50 cc saws over any other saw dolmar 5100s and 260pro i hate heavy saws especially carrying it in the woods for 10 hours a day pick it up put it down all day long gets to u after about 2 to 3 hours. I do have to say i love the 361 I own 2 new ones as back up and 2 users im waiting to hear if the 362 is any good but i really am liking that dolmar 5100s im not sure how reliable it is since i havent used it much cut about 10 cords of wood with it for the firewood sales I do most of my felling with the 361 and bucking. I love all these guys that have all these diff saws one for limbing one for felling one for bucking lol thats funny 1 saw does everything.

I personally hate big saws everyone has to have a big bad saw for firewood. I own a logging company and what do we pick up 50 cc saws over any other saw dolmar 5100s and 260pro i hate heavy saws especially carrying it in the woods for 10 hours a day pick it up put it down all day long gets to u after about 2 to 3 hours. I do have to say i love the 361 I own 2 new ones as back up and 2 users im waiting to hear if the 362 is any good but i really am liking that dolmar 5100s im not sure how reliable it is since i havent used it much cut about 10 cords of wood with it for the firewood sales I do most of my felling with the 361 and bucking. I love all these guys that have all these diff saws one for limbing one for felling one for bucking lol thats funny 1 saw does everything.

I agree i am no logger but every logger i know has one saw they use in the woods and a backup in the truck.

You haven't been here long... have you?

in the woods the tree are much smaller and less limbs in the "burbs" its very commom to do 55-60 in. silver maples for months on end...much differnt game.

Smokinj if your cuttin 55-60 silvers for months on end you must be a tired guy thats a lot of work. What setup you run for that big of trees?

Are You Sure Your On The Right Board?:monkey:

This Board isn't about NEEDS it's about WANTS and Bragging rights!Geez!

Just Kidding!:cheers:

lol i am not a logger either just like playing around. If i was a logger i would be skinny lol

The way my back starting to get I am not going to be worth a crap when I hit 50 almost throw it out yestday on a couple big rounds I had my sign mounted to..

460/260 are what I carry in the work rig. I usually have a 16" on the 260 and a 25" on the 460, but I also carry 20" and 32" b/c with me for when they're needed. The 20" ends up on the 460 about as often as it does in the 260, for what it's worth. Never ran a 32" on a 260 before, though. Imagine it might be a bit slow.

I have seen videos. 460 is faster than 441 stock for stock. Modded can't tell you. They are close stock but 460 is faster. But you all can thnk what you want.

That is precisely what I am talking about. Sure the 460 might be a few seconds faster in some of the very biggest, hardest cuts you will make that week, but day in and day out the 441 will cut more wood than the 460 and for a lot cheap. I know, because if it wasn't true I would own 460's ....... and I own a 441.

If you cut cookies and a few seconds are going to make the difference between you winning some awesome race with your buddy ...... then get the 460. But if you use that size Stihl saw for actual work the Legendary 460 has to give way to the much more efficient design of the Strato'd 441. I mean at this point only slow, learners think the new strato'd Stihls are something less to behold than their forebearers.

I have said it many times. If a saw will cut within seconds of another saw, yet get much better gas mileage (read efficiency) then the more efficient saw will cut more wood with a quality worker on hand at the wheel. If you are slow and like to take a lot of breaks than gas hogs (for their size) like the 460 are still great saws, but they won't cut more wood in a given day or week when comparing apples to apples.

I have owned a big block gas truck and it got 9 miles to the gallon no matter if it was doing 60mph or idling. I own a Duramax Diesel and it gets 18-22 highway and 12 pulling a 20' trailer, both will pull the trailer, but the diesel gets it done more efficiently and has paid for itself many times over. This is the same as the 441, its just a more comfortable and efficient saw, period. There isn't even anything to argue about, once the macho bullcrap is out of the air.

Bigger and cookie cutting faster isn't always better, in this case it isn't even close and the older saw is more expensive to boot?? Doesn't really make any sense to me.

To end it all, I still think the 460 is a great saw ........ but its old, LOL.

Sam

That is precisely what I am talking about. Sure the 460 might be a few seconds faster in some of the very biggest, hardest cuts you will make that week, but day in and day out the 441 will cut more wood than the 460 and for a lot cheap. I know, because if it wasn't true I would own 460's ....... and I own a 441.

If you cut cookies and a few seconds are going to make the difference between you winning some awesome race with your buddy ...... then get the 460. But if you use that size Stihl saw for actual work the Legendary 460 has to give way to the much more efficient design of the Strato'd 441. I mean at this point only slow, learners think the new strato'd Stihls are something less to behold than their forebearers.

I have said it many times. If a saw will cut within seconds of another saw, yet get much better gas mileage (read efficiency) then the more efficient saw will cut more wood with a quality worker on hand at the wheel. If you are slow and like to take a lot of breaks than gas hogs (for their size) like the 460 are still great saws, but they won't cut more wood in a given day or week when comparing apples to apples.

I have owned a big block gas truck and it got 9 miles to the gallon no matter if it was doing 60mph or idling. I own a Duramax Diesel and it gets 18-22 highway and 12 pulling a 20' trailer, both will pull the trailer, but the diesel gets it done more efficiently and has paid for itself many times over. This is the same as the 441, its just a more comfortable and efficient saw, period. There isn't even anything to argue about, once the macho bullcrap is out of the air.

Bigger and cookie cutting faster isn't always better, in this case it isn't even close and the older saw is more expensive to boot?? Doesn't really make any sense to me.

To end it all, I still think the 460 is a great saw ........ but its old, LOL.

Sam

I can see how that could work out to the advantage or a saw man..I still fill like the two saws are very close in every way. I sure would not be disappointed in either...

Slamm

I do agree with what you said. I do love both saws. I would enjoy using both to be honest. I just like the 460 better and the extra few seconds of quickness. and the bragging rights :)

I really do hope you enjoy the 441 for years to come.

Back