Pole Saw Head - Straight or Angled?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
After losing out on a couple eBay Echo pole saws, it looks like I'm probably going to have to buy new unless Home Depot's rental department wants to cut me a good deal on a used Echo PPT. I've read all the threads about Echo PPT versus Stihl HT, HT versus KM, and HT 101 versus HT 131, but the one thing that seems to be missing is whether the angled head option that Stihl offers is an advantage worth paying for or whether it is something that should be avoided.

Since I'm new to the world of pole saws, I'll throw that question out to y'all: if I end up buying new, should I buy with the angled head or the standard straight head? I anticipate using the saw 90% of the time from the ground, and only occasionally from a bucket, a rooftop, or a ladder.

Thanks!

I use the straight head on ht75 which is fine most the time, but there are occasions when I wish that i had the angled head, mostly when im cutting at the upper limit of its reach. So i would probably go with angled if its mostly for ground use.

I suspect i might treat myself to one of the cannon bars listed on their website in the specialty section. this is an angled bar designed to fit on straight pole pruner, I would be keen to hear if anyone has used one?

After losing out on a couple eBay Echo pole saws, it looks like I'm probably going to have to buy new unless Home Depot's rental department wants to cut me a good deal on a used Echo PPT. I've read all the threads about Echo PPT versus Stihl HT, HT versus KM, and HT 101 versus HT 131, but the one thing that seems to be missing is whether the angled head option that Stihl offers is an advantage worth paying for or whether it is something that should be avoided.

Since I'm new to the world of pole saws, I'll throw that question out to y'all: if I end up buying new, should I buy with the angled head or the standard straight head? I anticipate using the saw 90% of the time from the ground, and only occasionally from a bucket, a rooftop, or a ladder.

Thanks!

The only time I use the angled gear head is on my KM130 unit with it set up to clear brush from under fence rows.
I have not had many encounters with my HT131 where I have needed the angled shaft.

i paid a little under $600 for my HT101.

after having it a year,i would have paid $1200 for it.it is priceless.i couldn't work without it.

i got mine with a 12" bar and went to a 14".amazing how much it helped.

i plan on getting the angled gearbox as soon as i have time to breath.what can it hurt? it's only $100.

If it's only $100.00, I would just buy the angled head. I just might get one for my ht75.

The straight head works good for lower branches, but after you get close to max reach the angled head would be nice to have.
The saw gets straighter and straighter as you try to get that last branch that you really shouldn't be trying to get anyway......now you are cutting across the branch, not down thru it.......I'm fast enough to get the saw out of the cut before it pinches......wrong! I won't get hit on the head with the branch cause I'm standing under it.......wrong again....

Brandon, let me know if you want to try my ht75.

Ed

I added the angled head to my HT 101 after I used it for a while. It makes a big difference on how high you can cut. I only do ground work and can confirm that the saw will get stuck and the branches will hit you, so be careful.

yes.. the angled gear head is really good if you're are cutting anything over 60 degrees to the branch (like under it...). Nothing like getting your pole saw pinched 15 feet up and no way to get up there to free it.

If it's only $100.00, I would just buy the angled head. I just might get one for my ht75.

The straight head works good for lower branches, but after you get close to max reach the angled head would be nice to have.
The saw gets straighter and straighter as you try to get that last branch that you really shouldn't be trying to get anyway......now you are cutting across the branch, not down thru it.......I'm fast enough to get the saw out of the cut before it pinches......wrong! I won't get hit on the head with the branch cause I'm standing under it.......wrong again....

Brandon, let me know if you want to try my ht75.

Ed

I may have to take you up on that!

yes.. the angled gear head is really good if you're are cutting anything over 60 degrees to the branch (like under it...). Nothing like getting your pole saw pinched 15 feet up and no way to get up there to free it.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I figure that this is the use that I'll be putting it to more often than not, since I don't climb and my access to a freebie bucket truck is not a regular occurence.

Anyway, thanks y'all for the input. Here's what I think I'm going to do: if I can score a used Echo PPT for $250 or less, I'll probably just buy it and try it, knowing I can flip it and get most of my money back on eBay pretty much any day of the week. If not, I guess I'll work on convincing my self that I really need an HT131 + an angled head, though I'd rather not be spending $750 on a pole pruner right now. Since I don't anticipate this investment being a money-maker for me, I'm hesitant to put up the money, but it could come in handy around the house and for some friends/family who need some trimming done. And though I could rent one for the stuff that truly needs to be done, that would not get me any closer to owning one.

After yesterday I've got a couple hundred yards fence row for you to cut. The low limbs are gone......all pole pruner work.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Ed

I just ordered the angled gearbox attachment. I'll keep you updated.

Last edited:
After yesterday I've got a couple hundred yards fence row for you to cut. The low limbs are gone......all pole pruner work.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Ed

I just ordered the angled gearbox attachment. I'll keep you updated.

I'll be interested to hear how it works out! Heck, if I end up buying one in the next little while, I might even come give it a shot on your fence rows!

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth, the angled head is of great value for all the reasons mentioned already, extra reach, and being able to cut down, not through, so the bar is not pinched. Be aware it does rob a little HP, so using the big bore 4-MIX (130 or 131) will be better than with the two-stroke engine. I have used mine on a KM with an extension shaft added and it works great.

The angled bar looks good. i may have to get one.
Making the undercut at the upper reaches of the pole would be easier to control and not be using the nose of the bar making a better cut.
The top cut would be more top to bottom and the saws weight would work for you making the cut.

I use my HT75 to thin, prune, and upgrade the oaks, cypress,and dogwoods my wife and i planted at the farm.
It is a very useful tool.

l have an adjustable angle head made by SOLO.....works very well but like anything there are pros/cons to both designs. Sometimes l wish l had a straight setup but for the majority of cuts l prefer the angle. Hope this helps.

Ooo i want one of these for my pole didnt know i could get an angled head for mine now if it would just start regularly pulled that damn thing 20 times today before it started.

If you are doing larger limbs and need the branch to swing and not just break and fall the angle head would be great. Being able to cut more on the top of the branch with the angle head or the angle cannon bar would allow you to do this. The straight head when used at close to maximum reach only allow you to cut the side of the branch.

There are pros and cons to both systems. I have only ever used the straight heads on the Stihls at work and my own Kawasaki and Shindaiwa machines at home. I am used to the straight heads and don't really think about it much. There has been a time or 2 i am sure when it would have made things easier or safer to have the angled head.

Back