Poll: What model for the next AS build off??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What model would you prefer to see in the next AS build off?

• 044/MS440/046/MS460/Hybrid

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • MS441

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • MS261

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • 026/MS260

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • 066/MS660

Votes: 28 14.7%

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • 385/390

• 394/395

Votes: 37 19.4%
  • Other

Votes: 29 15.2%

• Total voters
All this thread is about who can really afford a hopped up saw. The real saw build is the one were it is all inclusive and not setup for the select few who can afford to buy the saw and have the equipment to do it.

I believe a guy on here did port work with chainsaw files and some other files. Don't get much cheaper that that.

Even though a dremel with all the goodies is still what? 50 bucks. . .
:msp_rolleyes:

& there is definitely enough information for someone to read up and have an understanding on what to, and what not to do. . .

so hbrn,why should i build a saw that is of no use to me just to suit someone else. i heard this sam ol **** before. i guess nascar should drive yugos so that everyone can be in the race instead of just enjoying watching to race from the stands..............

so hbrn,why should i build a saw that is of no use to me just to suit someone else. i heard this sam ol **** before. i guess nascar should drive yugos so that everyone can be in the race instead of just enjoying watching to race from the stands..............
And obviosilly need to learn to spell, my name is not HBRN, if like insulting people go away.

Your totally on the wrong planet:hmm3grin2orange: The build off should be based on a stock saw and be set up so every one can follow what every else does and see what works and what does not work. And the fact there will be a right coast only testing leaves the PNW builders only one option to travel to the test site. The build off needs to be right coast short bars versus left coast long bars:msp_thumbsup: The right coaster would be sorely under sawed in the bar length on PNW wood :msp_thumbsup:

Last edited:
I don't have one of those. But if I come across one for a reasonable deal I'll Promptly get it to a reputable porter and compete. If I don't come across one I will still be there to watch. You don't have to be in it to have a good time. If your hangin out with a bunch of people with the same interests It's a good time whether you have saws as nice as theirs or not. You have a chance to run just about any saw you could dream of. I saw saws I didn't know existed and was offered to run them. this isn't about being in it, it's about being there. I'll be there if I'm in it or not.:msp_thumbup:

And obviosilly need to learn to spell, my name is not HBRN, if like insulting people go away.

Obviosilly.

Your totally on the wrong planet:hmm3grin2orange: The build off should be based on a stock saw and be set up so every one can follow what every else does and see what works and what does not work. And the fact there will be a right coast only testing leaves the PNW builders only one option to travel to the test site. The build off needs to be right coast short bars versus left coast long bars:msp_thumbsup: The right coaster would be sorely under sawed in the bar length on PNW wood :msp_thumbsup:

So when are you hosting your build-off PNWHBRN?

When you do, you can set it up however you want. Until then, quit talking out of your arse.

Obviosilly.

So when are you hosting your build-off PNWHBRN?

When you do, you can set it up however you want. Until then, quit talking out of your arse.
So you think I am trash talker put up or stop trashing people for no reason it this kind of garbage that ruins a good post:msp_angry:

Maybe, but I don't think that's your real problem. I think you want to play with the big boys but you just don't know how.

You started off in the Logging and Forestry section claiming to be a "pro timber faller". When you were exposed as a fraud and a liar you deleted your posts.

Then you started appearing in the chainsaw section offering advice to the newbies. Your advice was just repeats of the information given by people who posted before you...but at least you were trying.

Now you've screwed up. Again. It's obvious that you don't really know anything about porting or what it entails. That's okay, a lot of people don't. But don't argue with the people who do. They started off trying to help you but you, with your usual unique blend of ignorance and arrogance, managed to piss them off.

I've told you this before...I'll try it one more time. If enough people, some of whom couldn't even agree on what day of the week it is and don't even like each other very much, tell you that you're wrong about something...you are wrong. Period.

Why not just quit with the know-it-all attitude.? You don't have the experience to back up your statements. Listen to these guys. If you listen you can learn. Quit trying to impress the big guys with what you know. Try, instead, to impress us with your desire to learn. Or just get the hell out. Your choice entirely.

there you go bob

Your totally on the wrong planet:hmm3grin2orange:

The spelling you want is you're. Since it matters to you.

Another option for left coasters is to not take part. I didn't follow the first build off, but would have were it a bit more local. Was there a stocker run at that event? Just curious.

You're not speaking for any sawyers I know HBRN (too long to spell out - teats).

All this thread is about who can really afford a hopped up saw. The real saw build is the one were it is all inclusive and not setup for the select few who can afford to buy the saw and have the equipment to do it.

Your forgetting that most of the entries where people who built their own saw. Out of the 20 saws ran about 10 where from people who don't build saws for a living. So it doesn't take a lot of experience to make a big difference on a saw. I saw that you mentioned muffler modding your saw which make is no longer a stock saw. You already have a "hopped up saw."

Unfortunately for us, saw manufactures have to sacrifice potential power for cost of manufacturing. Ideal dimensions make way for easily manufactured ones with loose tolerances to cut costs. Also they have to deal with EPA regulations that cause them to run less timing then ideal to meet the emission standards. A standard woods porting is nothing more then returning the saw to the dimensions the engineers would have liked it to be. At that time close attention is paid to tolerances, port radii, and other critical dimensions such as squish and port timing. In reality more power is made and the life of the saw is increased do to the tighter critical dimensions that the manufactures can not hold at a cost that they can make a profit.

Yes, a fully ported race saw has a shorter life span then a stock saw but who cares with a race saw. You think race car drivers are saying "I'll sacrifice 15% of my power if I can get 100% more life span." No, they don't care.

I personally built my entry to the last build off from parts so I had less then $300 in mine. I personal own a lot of machining equipment but I would estimate the machining cost at $40-60 from any reputable machine shop. The rest you can be sufficient with $60 of dremel tools. So in all there was $420 in the saw, which is less then half of a new slow stock saw. Not including my personal labor which I consider to be worth nothing during beer and hiding from the better half time of the day. Actually having an excuse to hide out in the shop is... priceless.

So next time you flap your jaw you may want to consider your audience. A crowd of people who build and run ported saws may not be your best place to preach you uniformed gospel. :angrysoapbox:

The spelling you want is you're. Since it matters to you.

Another option for left coasters is to not take part. I didn't follow the first build off, but would have were it a bit more local. Was there a stocker run at that event? Just curious.

You're not speaking for any sawyers I know HBRN (too long to spell out - teats).

If can not spell out my name do not insult me with shorting it! For me this is more about bragging right then any thing else. It is just as bad as Ford versus Chevy versus Dodge, they all are just fine. What is more important is how to get the most out the saw with out going so far as to ruin the value and the life expectancy. A built off should be about improveing stock saw with the least amount of time and money. The economy is going down the sewer so saw need to last longer.

I don't see it as a contest that is won or lost, but the chance for folks to build saws within their means and that suit their use. If I did a lot with a little and was happy with my saw in the woods, I wouldn't go pout and hang my head 'cuz Tree'Slnger's saw stomped my arse at some gtg.

What do you got to take the fun out of it for?

I vote 066. I think I know where one of those is in the works now with a nice big popup.:msp_biggrin:

man o man. hbrn strikes again. LOL. i vote 066. i.ve got one that was massaged loacaly a while back . needs a little freshing up . but it goes.

Back