Poll: What model for the next AS build off??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What model would you prefer to see in the next AS build off?

• 044/MS440/046/MS460/Hybrid

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • MS441

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • MS261

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • 026/MS260

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • 066/MS660

Votes: 28 14.7%

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • 385/390

• 394/395

Votes: 37 19.4%
  • Other

Votes: 29 15.2%

• Total voters
This is the same 084 I posted before. I has a popup piston, tight squish, and a full woods port. Nothing was tamed down on it. It does fine. I just richen it up, as any milling saw should be.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8wumEnPDi3Y?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HILLBILLYREDNEC, you need to get out a little more before you get so adamant on your opinions about ported work saws. There are plenty of woods ported work saws out there reliably earning a living for their owners. A popup piston and complete woods porting does not mean the saw will die an untimely death. If that's what you're seeing, then they're either not built right, or the owner doesn't know how to take care of them and/or run them.

Brad you know how to do it right. The guys that really know how to do are few and far between. Ported saws are really rare in my area, no need to do porting work when a stock Ms 460 with a muffler mod will get the job done. Maintenance is a lot more involved with a hopped up saw. Another reason ported saw are a no go in my area is altitude. Some us of cut at 2000 feet to 8000 feet in one day and the constant carb adjusting is a nightmare. I have seen and run a enough ported saws to know they are not suit to some people uses. I also can not afford to get some one hurt if they have to cut with my equipment. Stocks can be made to run better without a lot of time and cost. Another thing to consider is that the resale of a stock is better then one that has been ported and modified.

I guess you are right..............my fault.............!!!:rock:
I don't guess any of the PNW loggers are running ported saws and making a living with them.:dizzy:
:buttkick:

Mike

Mike, that must be it. I just can't explain why the saw Treeslingr did for me has lasted two hard seasons when I usually blew through a stocker every year. Maybe it was magic, or space aliens or something. :D

Brad you know how to do it right. The guys that really know how to do are few and far between. Ported saws are really rare in my area, no need to do porting work when a stock Ms 460 with a muffler mod will get the job done. Maintenance is a lot more involved with a hopped up saw. Another reason ported saw are a no go in my area is altitude. Some us of cut at 2000 feet to 8000 feet in one day and the constant carb adjusting is a nightmare. I have seen and run a enough ported saws to know they are not suit to some people uses. I also can not afford to get some one hurt if they have to cut with my equipment. Stocks can be made to run better without a lot of time and cost. Another thing to consider is that the resale of a stock is better then one that has been ported and modified.

MAN you are so full of ****:laugh:

Plus who the hell tries to re sale their old work saws? Most loggers I know keep all the old saws so when they need parts they have a plethora of stuff to choose form.

There's the thread of the year, gtg of the year, etc, now we have a good candidate for AZZ CLOWN of the year, or is that professional gypo faller w employee's that can't handle more than a stock saw.roflmao

$100 dollars to modify a bone stock MS440 Or 372 and spend less then 4 hours is a challenge and nothing more then hand tools and ordinary files, emery cloth would be allowed. Bars would be both 28" .50 gauge round ground Stihl chain no adjustment to the chain made. This would be judged on performance in green hardwood and green soft wood, no KD timber allowed:confused2:

Man I missed out on a lot in the last 30 minutes. I've got a 660 here that came from Oregon from a pretty well known shop. They cater to timberfallers saws. I might not run them 6-8 hours a day but a guy that does told me to try one for the big wood I usually clean up on farms that no one else wants. It works fine and will pull a 41" bar with full comp in oak that's past the bar tip another foot or more. I guess if it was going to break it should have when it was being worked like that. It only takes about 4 cuts like that to a tank. I guess I need to get a stock cylinder on the way so I can reap the benefits of it struggling in oak with a 36" bar. :help:

:laugh::potstir::laugh:

Like I said before the few good saw builders are rare as heck any more do to the demise of the timber industry.

The only thing that is rare, HBRN, is your post having any common sense and not being full of ****, go tell newbie's to use 36" bars on their wildthings.

$100 dollars to modify a bone stock MS440 Or 372 and spend less then 4 hours is a challenge and nothing more then hand tools and ordinary files, emery cloth would be allowed. Bars would be both 28" .50 gauge round ground Stihl chain no adjustment to the chain made. This would be judged on performance in green hardwood and green soft wood, no KD timber allowed:confused2:

Huh?

I don't quite understand what you are saying, but I think I have your solution. That $100 can get you a Wojo muffler...20% gain just by bolting it on, and it's the only mod that will adjust your chain for you.

back in the original work saw build thread were already hashing out the build on a 046/ms460. most of the guys that were in that build off are coming into this one too. so if any of you that are trying to decide what to dowant to join in the 460 build, its going on over there. its going to be tested sometime late sep or early oct. at the same place in tn. i may turn it into a 2 day gtg

back in the original work saw build thread were already hashing out the build on a 046/ms460. most of the guys that were in that build off are coming into this one too. so if any of you that are trying to decide what to dowant to join in the 460 build, its going on over there. its going to be tested sometime late sep or early oct. at the same place in tn. i may turn it into a 2 day gtg

Fine, just invite HBRN to the real build thread, why dontcha...

Back