Poulan 4400. Another ole work horse up and running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one cost $25.00 + shipping. With any luck I will have another one in the mail to me in a couple of days.

Flagstaff5200.jpg

Another one on the way?

Watch you trying to do Gary overtake me? :laugh:

Oh, yeah btw all mine run so just remember that. :D

Seriously, your doing very well with those congrats.

Another one on the way?

Watch you trying to do Gary overtake me? :laugh:

Oh, yeah btw all mine run so just remember that. :D

Seriously, your doing very well with those congrats.

I am trying, I have a 8500, a Dayton branded 5200, 3 other 5200's and a 5500 on the brown truck now. A member just picked up a 4200 for me today (I needed the 28" bar for a 5200) that should be here next week after I send him the money. There may be others to follow....

I am trying, I have a 8500, a Dayton branded 5200, 3 other 5200's and a 5500 on the brown truck now. A member just picked up a 4200 for me today (I needed the 28" bar for a 5200) that should be here next week after I send him the money. There may be others to follow....

You almost there! Remember, they have to run to be counted. :laugh:

Does this saw run if so I feel like I'm getting ripped off

Don't let the 'steal of a deal' posts get you down, those kinds of finds are the exception, not the rule. A lot of it depends on the area where you live (Houston sucks for chainsaw deals), and for CL deals how quickly you see the ad and are able respond to it. My "You SUCK!" deals were few and rare compared to the number of 'You must be joking!' listings that I dig through just about every day.

Some ASers do have a knack for getting great deals, but for the most part it's the result of them being in the tree and/or saw reair business, putting in the effort to cultivate contacts, staying on top of repair shops, salvage yards, etc.

Poulan 4400

What kind of mix are you going to run in that nice 4400?...I ask because the profile says 40:1. I'm putting together an older Olympyk 951 and the profile to this one also says 40:1...but the Oleo-Mac manual says 50:1...I might try 50:1 (regular Stihl HP...until it's gone/89 oct.), because that's what they were made for and today's oils are better than they were when those saws came out. I'm using it at stock settings as I doubt a MM would make much difference and 50:1 might be just fine. These older saws were strong and worked well from the factory...no EPA interferrence.

What kind of mix are you going to run in that nice 4400?...I ask because the profile says 40:1...

Looking at the original 4400/4900/5400 operators manual that came with mine, says 16:1 for the 4400 and 4900, or 32:1 for the 4900 and 5400.

That said, a number of years ago, jeez, maybe 20 or so, I had to replace the piston in mine as it scored pretty badly. After that rebuild, I started running 50:1 Stihl branded dino oil and haven't had any problems.

Yes, just snagged a 5200 for 160 on the bay.

Yeah right, no pictures, it didnt happen. :laugh:

Also didnt see one in completed listings for that price either.

What kind of mix are you going to run in that nice 4400?...I ask because the profile says 40:1. I'm putting together an older Olympyk 951 and the profile to this one also says 40:1...but the Oleo-Mac manual says 50:1...I might try 50:1 (regular Stihl HP...until it's gone/89 oct.), because that's what they were made for and today's oils are better than they were when those saws came out. I'm using it at stock settings as I doubt a MM would make much difference and 50:1 might be just fine. These older saws were strong and worked well from the factory...no EPA interferrence.

All my old Poulans are running fine on 50-1

Well here she is I am the second owner guy say thus mufflers stock is it true.View attachment 271696View attachment 271697View attachment 271698View attachment 271699View attachment 271700
I just hope that 24" bar isn't to much.

The muffler is stock!
You got a better buy than I originally thought.
24"........................too much...........:dizzy: Man You've got a lot to learn........and a pleasant surprise in store!!!
What part of "A 4400 will SPANK an 036" are you having trouble with???
I wouldn't hesitate one bit to put the 30" bar and chain from my 5.2 Craftsman on a 4200/4400 and tie into the hardest Red Oak in Murray, Kentucky.
I'm telling you.....an average MS440 will have to run its azz off to stay ahead of that 4400.

Mike

The muffler is stock!
You got a better buy than I originally thought.
24"........................too much...........:dizzy: Man You've got a lot to learn........and a pleasant surprise in store!!!
What part of "A 4400 will SPANK an 036" are you having trouble with???
I wouldn't hesitate one bit to put the 30" bar and chain from my 5.2 Craftsman on a 4200/4400 and tie into the hardest Red Oak in Murray, Kentucky.
I'm telling you.....an average MS440 will have to run its azz off to stay ahead of that 4400.

Mike

:agree2::rock:

Yessir, don't sweat the bar. 30" don't seem to bother mine none.

Congrats on the 4400, she looks pretty good!

Yeah she runs great starts second pull thankfully has loads of compression. She has some light battle wounds but completes my three saw 026,3400,4400

Well here she is I am the second owner guy say thus mufflers stock is it true.View attachment 271696View attachment 271697View attachment 271698View attachment 271699View attachment 271700
I just hope that 24" bar isn't to much.

Very nice saw you have there! Like others have said. They will handle a fairly large bar with ease. I use a 24" on my 4200. Have used a 28" on it also. I honestly don't think there was a lick of difference.;) I find myself using this saw more and more all the time. They have amazing low end grunt, for a 69cc saw. You should get your hands on a 5200 or 5400 sometime. Same saw, but 85cc.:msp_ohmy:

4200Ash001.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

Very nice saw you have there! Like others have said. They will handle a fairly large bar with ease. I use a 24" on my 4200. Have used a 28" on it also. I honestly don't think there was a lick of difference.;) I find myself using this saw more and more all the time. They have amazing low end grunt, for a 69cc saw. You should get your hands on a 5200 or 5400 sometime. Same saw, but 85cc.:msp_ohmy:

4200Ash001.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

You know Gregg, you brought up a really good point. I have a 4200, a 4900 and an 8500 and have used them quite a bit of late. I know I am getting old and as my boys tell me, senile, but for the life of me I cannot tell a great deal of difference between the three. The 4200, at only 69cc is a real sleeper.

Al.

Latest posts

Back