Poulan, what were you thinking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Despite the disdain held for these saws by the hard core "buy only Husky/Stihl/echo" guys, I have always thought they were a good choice for the inept homeowner crowd as long as they could get someone to set the carb before they self destructed from running too lean. If you're going to abuse a saw to death, it's better if it's a cheap one. Anyway, I received one of Poulan's new models, a PR4218 that the owner had destroyed in less than a month and was a bit surprised at some of the features. It had the usual 18" bar but with a skip tooth chain. On an 18" bar? Also there was a funny looking link where the missing cutter would have been. Never seen that before. Another feature was the use of a Ruixing carb that is probably difficult to find a kit for, fortunately the normal Walbro carb found on these strato engines is a direct replacement but I'm wondering how many people swear at it when they try to remove it before realizing that you have to clamp the bar in a vise and pull the rear handle down against the AV mounts to get enough clearance to pull it off the studs.PR4218.JPG

:eek:
emoji_update_2017_10.png

as long as they could get someone to set the carb

Greetings , I'm new here and I realize this is an old thread but I was given a PP4218AVX and was wondering if anyone could educate me as far as bench-setting this carb .
A fine tuning guide would be of great help too .
Thank you !
-Bonz

Greetings , I'm new here and I realize this is an old thread but I was given a PP4218AVX and was wondering if anyone could educate me as far as bench-setting this carb .
Thank you !
-Bonz
I've been told 1 1/2 turns out on the high and low adjusters is a good starting point. I actually have both my adjusters at 2 turns out high and low on my PP4218. I don't know of much has changed on these saws but the one I have is probably about 10 years old. I like to jet my saws a little on the rich side, I care very little about saving fuel or "peak" performance versus keeping the engine cool and lubricated.

Ruixing carb kits are readily available, it's a cheap Chicomm carb for junk equipment.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
In my experience it is more costs effective and effective in general to simply replace a Ruixing carb entirely than to buy a rebuild kit. I've had at least one of those pieces of s--t that after a complete tear down and rebuild would NOT allow fuel to flow in from the tank. Replaced it for less than had spent trying to fix it.

Thank you !
-Bonz
Welcome to the "I don't hate Poulans club". There is a wealth of info on this site on how to tune these saws, just do a search on "how to tune a strato saw".

Welcome to the "I don't hate Poulans club". There is a wealth of info on this site on how to tune these saws, just do a search on "how to tune a strato saw".

Thanks Amigo !
I didn't even know they had an alias .

Those skip tooth low profile chains actually work very well. Keeps the RPM up in the cut.

I haven’t had my hands on any of the PR saws yet but haven’t heard great things.

Those skip tooth low profile chains actually work very well. Keeps the RPM up in the cut.

I haven’t had my hands on any of the PR saws yet but haven’t heard great things.
In my experience they don't cut as well as a full comp chain and you shouldn't need a skip tooth chain on an 18" bar. I think Poulan has introduced them so that the average homeowner cutting with a dull chain won't be as likely to drag the RPM down to the point where the clutch starts to slip and overheat.

There is also the nickel they save on the skip chain...

Low-end quality saws have to always compete on price, and quality isn't that big of a deal to them because Poulan keeps selling saws, and if an owner gets a bad taste in their mouth there is a good chance they may end up with another saw from the same ultimate corporate masters...

In my experience they don't cut as well as a full comp chain and you shouldn't need a skip tooth chain on an 18" bar. I think Poulan has introduced them so that the average homeowner cutting with a dull chain won't be as likely to drag the RPM down to the point where the clutch starts to slip and overheat.
Respectfully disagree. If you bury an 18" bar on a homeowner grade 35 or 42cc powerhead, the skip chain will shine

Low-end quality saws have to always compete on price, and quality isn't that big of a deal to them because Poulan keeps selling saws, and if an owner gets a bad taste in their mouth there is a good chance they may end up with another saw from the same ultimate corporate masters...
Quality isn't even a huge drawback on a Poulan. They usually die from lean burndown, owners rodding on them with a dull chain, or failed fuel lines!

They've been using that lo pro skip chain on Poulans and other cheap saws for a long time - you can't easily buy it, it's just the junk factory chain.

Tip: Save the stuff for when you need to put a long bar on your pole saw. I've dropped fairly large trees with a 33cc pole saw, a silly long bar and lo pro skip chain. Yeah, it was slow, but I also didn't die under that thing.

Ruixing carb kits are readily available, it's a cheap Chicomm carb for junk equipment.
You do realize that all of these carbs are cheap Chinese junk?

. . .I received one of Poulan's new models, a PR4218 . . . It had the usual 18" bar but with a skip tooth chain. On an 18" bar?
Pretty common to put a skip tooth chain on a lower powered saw, to sell it as an '18-inch' saw, which sounds more powerful than the 14-inch bar, which would be more appropriate.

Problems arise if the saw is not able to oil the longer bar appropriately, or when the user is cutting the smaller diameter wood that the saw is well matched to: it will be less smooth than full comp chain.
I got this on a Remington 10" electric pole saw.

Also there was a funny looking link where the missing cutter would have been. Never seen that before.

Pics of the funny looking link?

Thanks.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back