Property clearing, vegetation, weed remediation advice needed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, as per one member's suggestion, here is 1/2 of my need as far as my property maintenance concerns go.

For this thread, I will post my needs as far as weed removal, brush demo, and remediation advice for our gravel driveway, hedge rows, tree lines and flower beds. I have had a rough time keeping on top of things as the past 3+ years. Having to exchange much of my normal time I used to devote to our property for caring of my mom and dad until they both passed, ( 2022 and 2024 respectively) I am now able to resume removal of the overgrowth and nuisance weeds, then hope to learn from you guys how best to eliminate and keep the bad stuff at bay and less likely to bounce back next Spring. Hoping to get to where all I need to do is manage the new weeds, and keep the good stuff healthy and the grounds looking good. I will continue getting advice on the wife's raised beds veg garden needs in that other thread.

I will begin with a few pics, and add more as I am able. Thanks

Attachments

• Driveway weeds 2.jpg
    Driveway weeds 2.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Weeds in driveway.jpg
    Weeds in driveway.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 0
Here is what the driveway looked like last summer as I had spread gravel the year before, and weeds began popping through. I did have a session where I hit it part way thru the summer with the propane torch to kill off a good bit of the weeds that are seen in the pics.

Attachments

• Driveway 4.jpg
    Driveway 4.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Driveway 3.jpg
    Driveway 3.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Driveway 1.jpg
    Driveway 1.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 0
Spray the weeds with roundup a couple of times to make sure the exposed ones are dead and then any new seedlings in the second round. After that, spread a layer of Treflan (triflurilan) and prevent the weeds for 3 months. If you can't find actual Treflan, buy Preen in the garden section. Same stuff.

I hate having to spray weeds so I would spray like capetrees said and then add a small gravel with fines over top once the weeds are killed. The 3/8th minus limestone that I get in my area will pack down like concrete. It will take years for the weeds to come back. The class A limestone I had left over from a sidewalk pour didn't pack down in the drive like the 3/8th minus and I have weeds all throughout it

Reclaiming Your Gravel Driveway: Trials and Errors of a Laidback Gardener​

My driveway is about 200 feet long without asphalt. It’s gravel. And since I don’t mow my lawn much, it’s not treated and there’s a lot of life around my house, my driveway is slowly but surely becoming greener.

I don’t mind weeding my garden, but 200 feet of gravel? HAHAHA! No way.

Except I have to do something! So here’s my trial and error to find my way back in.

Test 1: Herbicide​

Spray everything with poison and it dies!

Out of the question. Firstly, because it stinks, secondly because it’s expensive for such a large surface area, but above all because I don’t want to poison my land.

Even though my garden is far away, I sometimes pick mushrooms from my lawn and wild plants that I eat.

Secondly, my dogs and all the animals, large and small, that frequent my property (and its subsoil) would suffer. I’m delighted to find toads, frogs and salamanders around my house: they’re bio-indicators and their presence means that my environment is healthy. With chemicals, all these beautiful amphibians are a thing of the past.

Eventually, with the rain, this poison would undoubtedly trickle down to the nearby streams where beavers and cattails live, kingfishers fish, and deer and fishers drink (I’ll spare you the full list of species I’ve observed in this wetland!).

In short, poisoning my haven is a no-no.

Test 2: Cardboard​

I spread pieces of cardboard on the ground. It works great when you want to start a garden or flowerbed, so why not in my driveway? Well, for several reasons…

The pieces of cardboard fly off, no matter how much weight I put on them. And since I don’t have an infinite supply of cardboard, the surface area I’ve covered is laughable.

After a week, I removed the boxes with the intention of moving them to another area, but the plants underneath weren’t dead. They were stunted, but still alive. Two days later, they were as good as new! It’s true that a week is a short time, but hey, who wants to spend the summer with a cardboard driveway that flies off in the wind?

No, cardboard is not the solution…

Test 3: Boiling Water​

A great classic for cleaning the spaces between tiles. A dandelion growing between two paving stones with a root too big to pull out? A splash of boiling water, and you’re done!

It’s a technique I love. You have to put in enough water to scald the root to the bottom, but it’s radical and fast. Especially for areas where weeding is difficult.

But once again, the sheer size of the project quickly made me give up. If I’d had a huge container to put on a campfire, which I’d only had to empty a few times, it would have been doable, but with my little three-liter kettle, I only scalded about a square foot. My patience has its limits, and after about twenty ducks, I realized that it would take about 5,000… and I didn’t have that kind of patience!

Test 4: Burner​

Now we’re not laughing anymore. The laidback girl is fed up! Big words, big means! I got myself a torch. Then I torched the whole place MOUHAHAHAHA!

It’s a surprisingly effective tool. You have to let it burn for several seconds in the same spot to burn the roots, but the result is good. There are several points to consider, however:

It’s hot. It’s dangerous. So be careful. If you wear rubber boots, the soles may melt a little when you walk on the hot stuff. And drink lots of water: it’s really hot. You don’t do it during a heat wave!

It runs on gas. I take the propane tank from my BBQ and drag it with me. Ideally, you should put it on a dolly or something with wheels. And above all, don’t heat your tank with the torch!

It kills everything. Insects and bugs in the soil included. In the case of my driveway, I don’t think it’s such a huge sacrifice, but don’t think you can torch near your flower beds: your plants will suffer. You risk burning their roots, even their leaves, and upsetting the balance of the soil.

I have to admit that I haven’t done my full driveway yet. In fact, I did a bit last year and… I haven’t touched it again this year. It’s much too hot for that! And in the spring, it hadn’t grown yet. Nonetheless, it enabled me to see the long-term effectiveness: even though some plants have grown back since last year, there are far fewer of them where I’ve passed. In fact, you can clearly see the demarcation, judge for yourself:

Verdict​

If, like me, you have an infinite driveway, with ground so hard and compressed that it’s impossible to weed, the burner is probably your best option, if you’re careful. Near flowerbeds, garden furniture, etc., prefer boiling water or hand-pulling. The burner is so hot that it makes the terrace paint boil: you’ve been warned!

Oh, and another tip… Leave your burner outside. It’s not dangerous, but when a neighbor calls the fire department, they’ll see it and leave before they even ring the bell… At least, that’s what happened to me!

https://laidbackgardener.blog/2024/...way-trials-and-errors-of-a-laidback-gardener/

Eventually, with the rain, this poison would undoubtedly trickle down to the nearby streams where beavers and cattails live, kingfishers fish, and deer and fishers drink (I’ll spare you the full list of species I’ve observed in this wetland!).

In short, poisoning my haven is a no-no.

Test 2: Cardboard​

I spread pieces of cardboard on the ground. It works great when you want to start a garden or flowerbed, so why not in my driveway? Well, for several reasons…

The pieces of cardboard fly off, no matter how much weight I put on them. And since I don’t have an infinite supply of cardboard, the surface area I’ve covered is laughable.

After a week, I removed the boxes with the intention of moving them to another area, but the plants underneath weren’t dead. They were stunted, but still alive. Two days later, they were as good as new! It’s true that a week is a short time, but hey, who wants to spend the summer with a cardboard driveway that flies off in the wind?

No, cardboard is not the solution…

Test 3: Boiling Water​

A great classic for cleaning the spaces between tiles. A dandelion growing between two paving stones with a root too big to pull out? A splash of boiling water, and you’re done!

It’s a technique I love. You have to put in enough water to scald the root to the bottom, but it’s radical and fast. Especially for areas where weeding is difficult.

But once again, the sheer size of the project quickly made me give up. If I’d had a huge container to put on a campfire, which I’d only had to empty a few times, it would have been doable, but with my little three-liter kettle, I only scalded about a square foot. My patience has its limits, and after about twenty ducks, I realized that it would take about 5,000… and I didn’t have that kind of patience!

Test 4: Burner​

Now we’re not laughing anymore. The laidback girl is fed up! Big words, big means! I got myself a torch. Then I torched the whole place MOUHAHAHAHA!

It’s a surprisingly effective tool. You have to let it burn for several seconds in the same spot to burn the roots, but the result is good. There are several points to consider, however:

It’s hot. It’s dangerous. So be careful. If you wear rubber boots, the soles may melt a little when you walk on the hot stuff. And drink lots of water: it’s really hot. You don’t do it during a heat wave!

It runs on gas. I take the propane tank from my BBQ and drag it with me. Ideally, you should put it on a dolly or something with wheels. And above all, don’t heat your tank with the torch!

It kills everything. Insects and bugs in the soil included. In the case of my driveway, I don’t think it’s such a huge sacrifice, but don’t think you can torch near your flower beds: your plants will suffer. You risk burning their roots, even their leaves, and upsetting the balance of the soil.

I have to admit that I haven’t done my full driveway yet. In fact, I did a bit last year and… I haven’t touched it again this year. It’s much too hot for that! And in the spring, it hadn’t grown yet. Nonetheless, it enabled me to see the long-term effectiveness: even though some plants have grown back since last year, there are far fewer of them where I’ve passed. In fact, you can clearly see the demarcation, judge for yourself:

Verdict​

If, like me, you have an infinite driveway, with ground so hard and compressed that it’s impossible to weed, the burner is probably your best option, if you’re careful. Near flowerbeds, garden furniture, etc., prefer boiling water or hand-pulling. The burner is so hot that it makes the terrace paint boil: you’ve been warned!

Oh, and another tip… Leave your burner outside. It’s not dangerous, but when a neighbor calls the fire department, they’ll see it and leave before they even ring the bell… At least, that’s what happened to me!

https://laidbackgardener.blog/2024/...way-trials-and-errors-of-a-laidback-gardener/
So, are you the blogger, Audrey Martel aka the laidbackgardener with a 200' driveway?

So, are you the blogger, Audrey Martel aka the laidbackgardener with a 200' driveway?
No, I have followed him for many years, he lived in Canada & wrote many books.
His son now has guess plant writers & old recycle blogs from many year ago, as his father, the Laidbackgardener has past away, RIP.
Anyone who read more than ten of my post knows I can not blog.

Thanks jolj,

Yeah, I torched the driveway last summer, the green weeds began growing again before fall. I am rather cheap, so ONE propane tank full is enough for me. I will get the drive weed free then likely get some loads of Crush n Run and pack it down good.

RM43 will kill the existing weeds and keep new ones from emerging. (for up to a year if you read the label). I would spray, let that work and then do your crusher run and pack. Should be weed free for a good while. You can always touch up with round up if/when you see anything germinating.

Good grief, just spray the weeds. Parents lane is nearly half a mile long, once a year it gets sprayed. Been using imazapyr 4 SL. Once and done for the year.
Good grief, just spray the weeds. Parents lane is nearly half a mile long, once a year it gets sprayed. Been using imazapyr 4 SL. Once and done for the year.
HAHA, I just thought of something. In Winter, there will be plenty of road salt and brine, which ought to kill just about anything, including the paint and steel on our vehicles.

HAHA, I just thought of something. In Winter, there will be plenty of road salt and brine, which ought to kill just about anything, including the paint and steel on our vehicles.
but the grass and weeds in the verge grow every year even with the literal tons of salt and brine applied to the roads each winter.

but the grass and weeds in the verge grow every year even with the literal tons of salt and brine applied to the roads each winter.
but, it's applied to the road, not the weeds on the shoulder. Most likely soaks into the pavement more than it runs off into the ditch. No weeds on the road. :p

Back