Pros and cons of a top handle saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recoil Rob

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I thank all who responded to my request for recommnedations for a small saw bekowe. Several of you mentioned the fact that a top handle saw may not be the best choice for me. What's the thinking behind the top handle saw. I understand they are designed for aerial work, but why? What makes them undesirable for small ground work. It was mentioned that there could be less control if the saw kicksback. I can see this. Is this not a factor when up a tree? Not trying to be a pest, just trying to understand.

Also, is a 12" blade that much less versatile than a 14"?

Thanks, Rob

I prefer a 16" bar on my top handled saws. I like the way it balances and the ability to get through a bigger cut up in the tree. I believe that the U.K. has a prohibition on ground use of top handles. I use mine occassionally on the ground without seeing any problems.

The top handle design originally was so you could easily hold the saw with one hand when in a tree. Good balance, less length. The chief disadvantage is that you have less leverage to control a kickback. The reason they're not recommened for ground work is because you have a choice down there. Hard to get an 066 into a tree with you.

Personally, I like top handle saws, even though I haven't used one in years. You shouldn't have a problem if you cut safe. Sears sold top handle Poulan 25s to homeowners for years. However, you might want to learn on a rear handle type.

That tophandle Poulan was a good design. The "front" handle didn't dead end into the tophandle and the saw was easy to control. There are better performing saws available now but that Poulan was among the best tophandled saws for about 30 yrs. -A design ahead of its time in the beginning.

One issue with the Echo top handles is that they have that sprocket tip cover on the end of the Oregon bars that make kickback almost impossible. As for the difference, I'm just used to having my hands apart to hold the saw, and using a top handle felt really cumbersome. (but then, I don't have to climb trees, either.)

Buckwheat,
I've bought several Echos in the last 8 years and never once have I left the shop with that tip guard still on the saw. I borrow a scrench and remove it at the counter, and hand it to the counterman with my check or credit card. :p

Brian,
I've certainly thought about removing it, but its the one saw that I'll loan out to a friend if they're doing some light cutting, so I figure its kind of like insurance. I imagine if I were a pro working up high that little cover would find its way into the parts bin fast.
My point is that if you're going to use a top handle just for cleanup work around the house, having that little cover would go far to compensate for any concerns about controlling the saw in a potential kickback situation.

Latest posts

Back