Redwood yard tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bottom stack is 1”x 24”x 15’. The top stack is a mix of 10”x 10”, 6”x 12”, and 6”x 15” all 10’ The short pile on the side is off cuts that I saved to make benches out of, and the to rounds are sign blanks. I have not turned any of this wood, but I have done some carving in it and it is nice and soft to work with, you just have to cut the strings in it where you want them the first time.
The nice thing about this tree is that it had been down for about a year and the bark slipped off real nice. I ran the bark thru a Mobark chipper, plugged it up twice, but made some very nice fluffy mulch.
They are big and heavy however, if there were a steady supply I would mill them everyday. They cut easier then any other wood that I have had on the mill, with real good feed speeds even in the wide cuts.
I believe that tree was number seven of the redwoods that I have milled. I got one in my yard that I keep eyeing.
How is it for turning?

Backwoods, Nice stack of lumber.
What kind of market is there for redwood here in these parts?

I thought the wood milled up nice with the CSM.

The black oxidation can be alittle messy at times, but cleans up pretty easy, do you get any of that dark oxidation on the wood as it dries?

I haven't had the opportunity to turn any, but I'm looking forward to turning some this winter. Gonna let it dry out some as it is so wet that I would have to put on rain gear to turn it! I will keep you posted, this tree that I got has alot of figured wood so it should turn out some nice pieces.

The bark is very interesting. I did some research and found that Native Americans made baskets as well as clothing from it. It is a very interesting material.

Has anyone used this material for stickers? I am using a lot of cedar stickers these days for air drying b/c it won't support mold growth. Just wondering if anyone has used this or if it will mold?

I done a follow up on this tree and he has decided to have another mill take it out and then is buying back $300 dollars worth of fencing. I talked with the other mill and he is concerned that he may not have a way of getting the tree out of the back yard because of the low power lines and narrow access. I offered to help him get it out if he ran into trouble, as he just bought the stationary sawmill and is just getting his feet wet on acquiring logs. I feel it is better to have you competition on the same page as you, so the tree owners are not playing one against the other as this one attempted to do. Besides, he has toys that I do not have, like a four-sided molder.:D

Back