Regardless of brand, why so many complaints on brand new saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genesis5521

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was just over at Chainsaw - Blower - Trimmer Reviews and Information | BackYardBoss.com to read some reviews on chain saws, and I noticed that no matter what brand or model I viewed, I saw way more negative responses than I would have expected. Not all of these negative responses can be attributed to operator error. Is the quality control going down on all of these products? My little Stihl MS170 is 7 years old, cut 50 full cords, always started hot or cold, and never, ever gave me a lick of trouble. It's been as reliable as dirt. Then just the other day, the oiler pooped out on it. No big deal. So I was looking to get a new saw, and fix my old one to have as a backup. But after reading so many negative responses, any and all warranties notwithstanding, I'm kinda leery of buying "any" new saw, regardless of brand. What say you all? Also, does Stihl have a 7 day saw replacement warranty on new saws? The reason I ask is because one of the posts at the other site mentioned it.

Don <><

Last edited:
A lot of people buy stuff from box stores and the like. Seems like you can save a lot of headache by doing business with a good local shop. I've had some lemons the past few years, but the boys at the shop didn't rest until things were made right.

I was just over at Chainsaw - Blower - Trimmer Reviews and Information | BackYardBoss.com to read some reviews on chain saws, and I noticed that no matter what brand or model I viewed, I saw way more negative responses than I would have expected. Not all of these negative responses can be attributed to operator error. Is the quality control going down on all of these products? My little Stihl MS170 is 7 years old, cut 50 full cords, always started hot or cold, and never, ever gave me a lick of trouble. Then just the other day, the oiler pooped out on it. No big deal. So I was looking to get a new saw, and fix my old one to have as a backup. But after reading so many negative responses, any and all warranties notwithstanding, I'm kinda leery of buying "any" new saw, regardless of brand. What say you all? Also, does Stihl have a 7 day saw replacement warranty on new saws? The reason I ask is because on of the posts at the other site mentioned it.

Don <><

It's why I've gone Efco and Makita. New saws are also ridiculously priced! Am starting to look at my old saws. The Homelite XLs and the McCullocks.

RTFM. You can find negative reports on most anything thanks to the internet. RTFM. There is nothing wrong with any saw from any of the big manufacturers. RTFM. The biggest problem with any consumer product is the purchaser fails to RTFM..........read the f'n manual.
With any new saw I sell I usually do my best or have one of my workers spend at least 15-30 minutes with the customer, showing how everything works, and explaining things. I dont get saws back, warranty claims are low, and the customers tell me its the best darn saw they ever bought, then there is the other one percent that surprise me they havent cut there head off, and keep straight gassing there saw, and accepting full well they did screw up again.

I wouldn't worry too much about what you read online for negative complaints. Modern society is quick to write negative reviews however slow to write positives. Like the last poster said.....RTFM.:laugh:

O.P, what was said form the fella's above is true, but alot really depend's on saw model's too. And how they are use'd.

to the OP,

Don't buy brand new models. Buy ones that have been out for a couple of years or more.

Follow the owner's manual.

"Modding" is over-rated (except for those who actually know what they are doing, or have lots of time/money to make mistakes).

the biggest thing of importance to any engine is to keep intake clean and exhaust clear (with good fuel and oil).

be careful and wear safety gear! The amount of goofs on you-tube is astounding!

the new saws are awesome! Don't be afraid to buy one. Just buy a proven model.

The mfrs know what they are doing, don't doubt it.

have fun!:blob2::blob2:

I was just over at Chainsaw - Blower - Trimmer Reviews and Information | BackYardBoss.com to read some reviews on chain saws, and I noticed that no matter what brand or model I viewed, I saw way more negative responses than I would have expected. Not all of these negative responses can be attributed to operator error. Is the quality control going down on all of these products? My little Stihl MS170 is 7 years old, cut 50 full cords, always started hot or cold, and never, ever gave me a lick of trouble. Then just the other day, the oiler pooped out on it. No big deal. So I was looking to get a new saw, and fix my old one to have as a backup. But after reading so many negative responses, any and all warranties notwithstanding, I'm kinda leery of buying "any" new saw, regardless of brand. What say you all? Also, does Stihl have a 7 day saw replacement warranty on new saws? The reason I ask is because on of the posts at the other site mentioned it.

Don <><

Purchase the saw you want from a reputable dealer that KNOWS about the product. Keep your warrenty documentation and proof of purchase in case of product failure, if an issue arises document the process you followed for a solution.

Always issues with new products, some are people problems and some are not.

One of the issues with the review sites is they do not tell you how many of that unit has been sold. 100 bad reviews is not so bad if there are millions out there working fine. Another problem is when a customer is completely happy they don't think about telling everyone but I bet every unhappy person has written a review on multiple sites.

I'm the OP. I'm not a died-in-the-wool Stihl guy so I looked at and handled "all" the brands. I'm kinda partial to the Stihl MS250 (the plain jane model, no easy start and old style chain adjuster) as a replacement to my 170. It just felt the most comfortable and "familiar". I didn't hardly notice the very slight increase in weight. I cut 10 cords a year to heat my house. I don't need and can't justify a pro saw. A 250 with a 14 inch bar (if that's possible without over revving it) would suite me just fine. I just don't need a longer bar. I buy the $20 permit and get my trees from the Nicolet National Forest. "By law" I'm limited to 18 inch trees or smaller. 98% of what I take is less than 14 inches.

Don <><

Last edited:
The review sites seem to be mostly frequented by internet focused geeks and suburban box store customers.
If you read thier complaints, most surround starting problems due to crappy tune, crappy gas, or a moron pulling the rope.

The #1 advantage Stihl has, is it's dealer network supporting the Myth of a superior product.
It's hard to get a Stihl with a Crappy tune, but damn easy to get a Husky or Echo in such a state and most folks don't care what the reason is, because they expect turn key performance out of a blister pack. Stihl wins by default and the inability of the consumer to RTFM or tune thier own saw.

The little MS-250 is time proven and a rugged saw. There are a few of a couple hundred thousand out the that were bad..but the odds favor anyone buying one by a good margin. Ours has had the holy #### beat out of it, and other than the usual wear items and Ethanol induced fuel line replacements, has been trouble free. If you go that route, you should be well served.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Go to "Yappy Big Blue Super Center, Hardware and Groceries", buy a nice new saw, bring it home, assemble it, fill with gas and oil, pull rope 50 times, bounce it off of the driveway once or twice, then write a review about how big of a piece of junk it is. Go to "Pa's Power Equipment and Tractor Repair (est. 1970)", buy the same brand and model of saw for, say...$50-$75 more. "Pa" has assembled and tuned it when it came off the truck last Friday, and he's more than eager to spend 15-20 minutes out back with you, your new saw, and an old tree trunk, and smiles as you wave goodbye! Take a little care of it, enjoy how easily it comes to life with a yank of the cord, and if you're lucky, 20 years from now "Pa" will still be there when it becomes time for a new saw again! No, I am not a dealer nor am I a small business owner, but I've learned that a great deal and product satisfaction goes well above and beyond a brand name and a sale price. Plus, it's nice to know that "Pa", who lives just across town, can keep his family warm and comfortable tonight.

Most of the reviews are made by people who have very little to no real world expierence with a chainsaw. Like others have mentioned most go down to the local box store and buy a saw that is factory tuned lean as hell to appease EPA regulations. Most come with the cheapest, low quality chain as well. Most are the guys who have a tree that needs cut up in the yard, localized storm damaged and decide they can do-it themselves and expect miracles out of 30-40cc saws that cost less than 200.00. They dull the chain in the first five minutes, ride it to death making powder on the rest of the job, incorrectly mix their fuel, and it is all the saws fault that it doesn't perform to the standard of a pro logger on cable reality show. Then they box it up take it back down to the big box store and either get a refund or wait two months while the box store sends it over to a real brick and mortar dealer to fix it. It happens to all brands, the ones sold at the big boxes just get more exposure, there are poor dealers out there as well that don't take the time to run and tune a saw before handing it over to the owner. I'd venture to say most issues with saws are a result of owner operation. All the major saw companies have too many quality control standards in place to let crap out the door. One member with intimate knowledge of Stihl's Virginia Beach,VA operation has stated every saw gets run in a test cell before it goes in the box. I would venture that Husky and Dolmar do the same thing. Unless I know a person has some level of credibility I put very little faith in internet reviews of chainsaws.

Go to "Yappy Big Blue Super Center, Hardware and Groceries", buy a nice new saw, bring it home, assemble it, fill with gas and oil, pull rope 50 times, bounce it off of the driveway once or twice, then write a review about how big of a piece of junk it is. Go to "Pa's Power Equipment and Tractor Repair (est. 1970)", buy the same brand and model of saw for, say...$50-$75 more. "Pa" has assembled and tuned it when it came off the truck last Friday, and he's more than eager to spend 15-20 minutes out back with you, your new saw, and an old tree trunk, and smiles as you wave goodbye! Take a little care of it, enjoy how easily it comes to life with a yank of the cord, and if you're lucky, 20 years from now "Pa" will still be there when it becomes time for a new saw again! No, I am not a dealer nor am I a small business owner, but I've learned that a great deal and product satisfaction goes well above and beyond a brand name and a sale price. Plus, it's nice to know that "Pa", who lives just across town, can keep his family warm and comfortable tonight.

box stores entice folks with lower prices and ruin local small businesses in their wake. they have an unfair advantage over small business owner's. by calling themselves warehouses, they do not have to pay taxes on their in store 'stock'.

running a great hardware store out of town that was in business since 1872 after 134 years, where the folks actually knew about their products, and actually cared if the customer left satisfied, and wanted the customer to come back in the door....... it woke me out of the coma.

+1 abikerboy

I have bought 5 new saws in the last 5 years and have not had any problems with any them. One of them is even from a big box store because the saw was a shelf model of a discontinued model. They have cut 15-20 cords of wood in that time.

Back